IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Advice Please: Should I Address Nav Issue at 5K Service

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-14, 03:41 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Advice Please: Should I Address Nav Issue at 5K Service

I am bringing my car in for 5,000 mile service next week. Since I got the car in December, the Nav reboots (music stops briefly, system reboots, caution screen, resumes as normal) shortly after start up about 15-20% of the time after start up. After this occasional few second glitch, I have had no issues of any sort with the Nav during my trips, short and long.

I am debating whether to mention this problem when I bring it in for service next week. Much has been written about this topic elsewhere on this forum. Many have had much more serious problems than the minor inconvenience I am having. In addition, some have reported having their units "bricked" after a firmware update, while others have reported having periodic reboots continue even after entire units are replaced. In short, there appears to be no fix for this reboot issue yet. Moreover, there appears to be some risk that attempting to fix this problem might make matters worse.

So bring it to their attention or leave well enough alone for now until a complete and durable fix is available?

I would appreciate feedback from any and all who have informed opinions about this issue, expecially folks affiliated with Lexus (e.g. service techs) who frequent this forum.

Last edited by CtSFox; 05-05-14 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-05-14, 03:59 PM
redraptor
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issues as you described. When i brought the car in for the complimentary 5K service, i mentioned this to them and they did the firmware update on the Navi.

The issue does not happen that often anymore. Maybe like once a month. But since then i did change over to using the 12V power source for my phone rather than the USB port and also i turn off Wi-fi which i've read also helps with the intermittent disconnects.
Old 05-05-14, 07:02 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

I would definitely bring it to their attention, if for no other reason than to have it on the record. If possible, record it on your phone and send that to your service manager. My infotainment issues happen just as you said after startup (though, not as frequent since I stopped using the USB). I sent a video to the service manager to have on record and expect to leave my car with them for a day or so at my 5,000 mile service later this month.

Another CL member had their system replaced and included a newer version. I'm hoping that this resolves the problem. (fingers crossed)

Last edited by doodlebug; 05-05-14 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-06-14, 11:47 AM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by redraptor
I had the same issues as you described. When i brought the car in for the complimentary 5K service, i mentioned this to them and they did the firmware update on the Navi.

The issue does not happen that often anymore. Maybe like once a month. But since then i did change over to using the 12V power source for my phone rather than the USB port and also i turn off Wi-fi which i've read also helps with the intermittent disconnects.
What firmware version did you upgrade to? Right now I have the 8500 version that came when the car was delivered.
Old 05-06-14, 01:33 PM
hades281
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My system was sluggish so I asked for the software update during my 5k service. I think the system is a little snappier - no ill effects from the update. I'd do it; if the problems are more serious then I'm sure they will want to see that this update has been attempted first.
Old 05-06-14, 01:37 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hades281
My system was sluggish so I asked for the software update during my 5k service. I think the system is a little snappier - no ill effects from the update. I'd do it; if the problems are more serious then I'm sure they will want to see that this update has been attempted first.
Thanks, makes sense.
Old 05-06-14, 02:06 PM
Pralix
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tell the dealer. There is another thread on this subject on here. My dealer was able to get me a new media unit that had a revised hardware and software version that may have fixed the issue for me. I haven't had a reboot in two weeks. Check out the other thread for more info.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...shuts-off.html

Last edited by Pralix; 05-06-14 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-06-14, 03:03 PM
redraptor
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CtSFox
Quote:

What firmware version did you upgrade to? Right now I have the 8500 version that came when the car was delivered.
I believe that is the latest version.

I purchased my car back in August and had another version.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 05-06-14, 03:06 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

I believe that is the latest version.

I purchased my car back in August and had another version.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
I thought the latest update was at least 8600. Anyone know?
Old 05-06-14, 06:05 PM
Pralix
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The latest version is 8710 but that is only with the new hardware revision.