IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Hit a pothole on highway, 0 air pressure in about 2 mins. How to check suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-14, 07:21 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by finalhope
There is a one year free wheel alignment from Lexus.
One year free, no matter what!?
Old 05-05-14, 07:49 PM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Latest update: the new tire is installed and the TPS is working again on the dashboard. I was on a straight road (at low speed) and let go of the steering wheel, and the car didn't tilt to either the left or right side.

I discovered something new today at the tire shop. The guy put the wheel on a calibration machine and let it spin for a while, and he pulled out those metal tags located inside the rim and put new ones on. Those metal tags have some numbers on them. What did he do? I'm going to take some pictures tomorrow. I was in rush this evening and didn't get a chance to ask.
Old 05-05-14, 07:58 PM
profet
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorttt
Latest update: the new tire is installed and the TPS is working again on the dashboard. I was on a straight road (at low speed) and let go of the steering wheel, and the car didn't tilt to either the left or right side.

I discovered something new today at the tire shop. The guy put the wheel on a calibration machine and let it spin for a while, and he pulled out those metal tags located inside the rim and put new ones on. Those metal tags have some numbers on them. What did he do? I'm going to take some pictures tomorrow. I was in rush this evening and didn't get a chance to ask.
Those are weights used to balance the wheel.
The numbers are the weight of the "tag".

Throw a weight and you'll notice vibrations from the steering wheel.
Old 05-05-14, 08:08 PM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by profet
Those are weights used to balance the wheel.
The numbers are the weight of the "tag".

Throw a weight and you'll notice vibrations from the steering wheel.
Yes, the guy did mention something about vibration from the steering wheel. So I should never remove those tags/weights, right?

Last edited by doctorttt; 05-05-14 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-06-14, 12:46 AM
finalhope
Rookie

Originally Posted by dbs600
One year free, no matter what!?
Yea, I read it from somewhere and I'm certain that there is a one year free alignment service from Lexus' dealers, so when you bring in for your 10k service, do alignment as well
Old 05-06-14, 06:52 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by finalhope
Yea, I read it from somewhere and I'm certain that there is a one year free alignment service from Lexus' dealers, so when you bring in for your 10k service, do alignment as well
Pretty neat.

Wonder if they'd perform same on a car with bent rims.

Mine are, but car tracks surprisingly straight.
Old 05-06-14, 08:56 PM
amoney805
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kl576
I actually experienced a similar incident on Wednesday except I was on the BQE and my brand new installed Velgen rim is cracked and bent. The dealer should be able to check the suspension for you for free. As for the TPMS it's because the spare wheel is on that's why it doesn't indicate anything. The TPMS is located on the rim so the tire guy wouldn't mess up with it when he switches the tires. Depends on which dealer you go to they can align it for you free of charge

Is velgen taking care of you?
Old 05-07-14, 07:01 AM
profet
Rookie

Originally Posted by doctorttt
Yes, the guy did mention something about vibration from the steering wheel. So I should never remove those tags/weights, right?
NEVER!

Ever put an unbalanced load into a washing machine?

Basically due to tiny differences in the rim and the tire some parts of the wheel (rim + tire combined) will be heavier than other parts.

When spinning at a high speed (and at low speed if the difference is dramatic) the difference will cause all kinds of vibrations to transmit through the wheel to the rest of the car. In subtle imbalances you may only feel slight steering wheel vibrations. When there is a huge imbalance the whole car may shake and "hop" while moving.

The weights/tags are there for a reason. Do NOT remove them. Any time the tire gets changed they should be rebalanced and new weights put on/old weights removed as needed.