IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Grill swapping?

Old 04-26-14, 08:26 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

it's too bad the lfa-style instrumentation cluster isn't available on all IS models. i mean, i get that it's one of the various incentives for one to purchase/lease an f-sport, but the way the packages are set up aren't right -- no luxury package on the f-sport models? lame. that alone was enough to deter me from purchasing the f-sport variant even though i really loved/love the lfa-style cluster.
Old 04-26-14, 08:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,497 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by bp044
How much more fun to drive than the non sport
I drove them both back to back (350s) and I personally would get the F Sport. The AVS makes it feel just that little but more planted and stable, and I think the package overall fits the IS' personality better than the non sport model.
Old 04-27-14, 12:52 AM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by akshunj
FSport is just a gimmick. Lexus deletes all the nice stuff you expect the car to have and adds some stickers and changes the dash, but no power. Sorry but it's the truth.
Isn't that the whole point?

Which car gets a bump in power for the same engine because it's a "sports" version?

BMW? M Sport, Nope
Mercedes? AMG kit Nope
Audi? S line Nope

Sports version is suppose to make it look sportier and have better handling performance
Old 04-27-14, 07:35 AM
goshawk823
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's my own opinion (and we all know about opinions ), but I find the options you aren't allowed on the F sport to be worth more than the goodies you do get with that package.
Old 04-27-14, 08:07 AM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Adds some stickers huh? Lexus ricing out their own cars, I guess. Lol. Good post, jennypenny.

Last edited by obturator; 04-28-14 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-28-14, 09:28 AM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bp044
How much more fun to drive than the non sport
Really hard to quantify, especially since it will be different for everyone. I test drove the 3IS before I read anything about it because I just went to see what deals they would offer me - I was expecting to buy a 335i or S4. The way the 3IS takes on different personalities while shifting into Sport and then into Sport+ put the 3IS on the radar. So for me, it's the whole reason I considered the car in the first place. I drove the Non-F-Sport for a month (loaner car) and I own a F-Sport and I feel the AVS gives the car personality, a fun one.

It's not night and day difference so don't expect that. If you like to push your cars and feel pretty well tuned to them it will be difference you want and make you appreciate this car. If it's just a Point A to Point B object to you and you will spend all of your time in Normal/Eco mode than it loses its charm quickly.

Originally Posted by goshawk823
It's my own opinion (and we all know about opinions ), but I find the options you aren't allowed on the F sport to be worth more than the goodies you do get with that package.
That is exactly why we have the two trim levels, yes? Those who want options that lean toward performance and those who want options that add to creature comforts. The options that got deleted are ones I used 0-few times in my previous car so in a way it's not nice not having to pay for them, but it would still be nice if Lexus offered the option to get all options if we wanted them. I think they dropped the ball in that regard.

Last edited by Slust; 04-28-14 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-28-14, 09:43 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I bought an AWD 350, non F Sport. Performance feature wise, the difference between my non F Sport and a similarly equipped F Sport (AWD, 350) is the AVS.

So for me, it came down to making a choice between AVS and the features that I think the car ought to have, such as ventilated seats, fog lights, etc.

I totally get why many people choose the F Sport route, and it was something I really had to consider, but in the end, I felt that I would use these other items more than I would use the AVS.

I loved the instrument cluster of the F Sport, so that was a hard thing to pass up, but my wife really hated the F Sport grill. I don't hate it, but definitely prefer the regular grill. I did not like the black headliner at all, however.

So I can take my non F Sport, flip it into Sport mode, and still enjoy all the benefits of the throttle and transmission changes, as well as the steering's reduced assist, and enjoy the dual personalities of this car. It's so much fun, and every bit as fast and responsive as the F Sports.

If I were going to autocross it, however, I would have gotten the F Sport.

To anyone considering an IS, I simply recommend that you drive both, and weigh the pluses and minuses of each, then purchase, and enjoy this fine automobile.
Old 04-28-14, 09:59 AM
goshawk823
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slust
That is exactly why we have the two trim levels, yes? Those who want options that lean toward performance and those who want options that add to creature comforts. The options that got deleted are ones I used 0-few times in my previous car so in a way it's not nice not having to pay for them, but it would still be nice if Lexus offered the option to get all options if we wanted them. I think they dropped the ball in that regard.
I absolutely agree!
I had most of these options on a 330c I owned, and found the rain sensing wipers and the tilting mirrors were options that I loved, and hated to lose on later cars. Especially with the cost of rims these days, the tilting mirrors could save you several hundred dollars (or more...)

Either version; it's still an awesome car.
Old 04-28-14, 05:23 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Slust
exactly -- i'm one such owner of an is250 lux/nav package + other options that would have gladly purchased an f-sport if the options that i use and enjoy were to have been made available on f-sport models.
Old 04-29-14, 11:59 AM
LexFather

F sport is not a gimmick lol
Old 05-19-14, 03:25 PM
hovik92
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Non-F Sport in Nebula Grey, if your car is Nebula Grey, I'm more than willing to swap bumpers. I love the F Sport Front. I am in Los Angeles. PM Me if interested
Old 05-19-14, 04:53 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by hovik92
I have a Non-F Sport in Nebula Grey, if your car is Nebula Grey, I'm more than willing to swap bumpers. I love the F Sport Front. I am in Los Angeles. PM Me if interested
There you go..!!

Joe Z
Old 05-19-14, 05:40 PM
akshunj
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to the OP for hijacking. Sorry to the F Sport guys, not trying to flame, but it just seems odd to give up all the things you'd expect in a Lexus to get stuff like a grille and aluminum pedals.

The f sport should have come with an extra 50hp to make the "sport" part legit. Badges, seats, and sport+ buttons aren't really performance.
Old 05-19-14, 07:00 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by akshunj
Sorry to the OP for hijacking. Sorry to the F Sport guys, not trying to flame, but it just seems odd to give up all the things you'd expect in a Lexus to get stuff like a grille and aluminum pedals.

The f sport should have come with an extra 50hp to make the "sport" part legit. Badges, seats, and sport+ buttons aren't really performance.

See my earlier reply (below)

I dont understand what point you are trying to make. when everyone else in the market has the same playbook.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which car gets a bump in power for the same engine because it's a "sports" version?

BMW? M Sport, Nope
Mercedes? AMG kit Nope
Audi? S line Nope

Sports version is suppose to make it look sportier and have better handling performance
Old 05-19-14, 08:16 PM
akshunj
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jennypenny
See my earlier reply (below)

I dont understand what point you are trying to make. when everyone else in the market has the same playbook.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BMW? M Sport, Nope
Mercedes? AMG kit Nope
Audi? S line Nope

Hmm be nice to standout from the rest of the industry...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grill swapping?