IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Rock chips on front bumper :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-14, 04:35 PM
saewoo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rock chips on front bumper :(

I just got my 2014 IS250 on Saturday. Today I checked my front bumper and it has couple of rock chip/scrap marks near right front headlight. There is also a small crack on the headlight. Is there anyway to cover this chip marks? My heart is breaking due to this chip marks... Hate Downtown LA road I'll post some pictures later.
Attached Thumbnails Rock chips on front bumper :(-image.jpg  

Last edited by saewoo; 04-24-14 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-24-14, 04:49 PM
Vairox
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe something like Dr Colorchip or something, only thing to really prevent new ones from occurring is a clear bra and those are ugly. Lexus uses soft paint, it's inevitable.
Old 04-24-14, 04:51 PM
jaznraz
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Get Dr Color Chip to fix the paint chips and then get paint protection film (PPF aka clear bra) installed ASAP. I waited 4 months before I did this and I had a ton of rock chips. I would recommend Xpel Ultimate or Suntek for the PPF.

I don't know what to tell you about the headlight crack.
Old 04-24-14, 05:10 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Vairox
Maybe something like Dr Colorchip or something, only thing to really prevent new ones from occurring is a clear bra and those are ugly. Lexus uses soft paint, it's inevitable.
clear bras (paint protection films) are ugly? i can hardly see mine. more importantly, though, is what may be deemed the lesser of two evils -- a whole lot of rock chips or paint protection film.

anyhow, i'll echo what the jaznraz has said -- repair the paint chips and then have paint protection film installed asap.
Old 04-24-14, 05:15 PM
saewoo
Rookie

Appreciate the quick response. I will be ordering Dr Colorchip pretty soon to cover up the chipped mark. After I finish work I will upload the picture of the dings and cracks I got.
Old 04-24-14, 05:25 PM
yellow2112
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Just looked at Dr color chip but don't see an 'ultra white' under the IS350 or 250 listing
Old 04-24-14, 05:44 PM
jaznraz
Driver

Originally Posted by yellow2112
Just looked at Dr color chip but don't see an 'ultra white' under the IS350 or 250 listing
They didn't list silver lining metallic either when I got mine. Find your paint code and enter it when ordering. I can't remember where the code is listed on the car, but the Dr Color Chip site will tell you where to find it.

Clear bra's are ugly??? I can hardly see mine either.

It sure looks 100x better than the 20 rock chips that were on my bumper prior to the installation. I covered my bumper, hood, fenders, and mirrors.
Old 04-24-14, 06:17 PM
Vairox
Pit Crew

^^ Yeah on a white car they are *** ugly because they make a giant dirt line across your car... I'd rather have rock chips than a black line across my car, but that's me.
Old 04-24-14, 06:45 PM
jaznraz
Driver

^^ Yeah on a white car they are *** ugly because they make a giant dirt line across your car... I'd rather have rock chips than a black line across my car, but that's me.
I didn't want dirt lines either. I got mine installed where NO edges are showing, the film is wrapped around the edges of the bumper, fenders, and hood. No edges and no dirt lines.
Old 04-24-14, 06:48 PM
saewoo
Rookie

I have uploaded the picture. But its not letting me upload 2 picts on my ipad. Anyway this is the ding on the front bump anything i can do to recover it?
Old 04-24-14, 06:56 PM
Vairox
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jaznraz
I didn't want dirt lines either. I got mine installed where NO edges are showing, the film is wrapped around the edges of the bumper, fenders, and hood. No edges and no dirt lines.
So you did your entire bumper, entire hood, entire fenders.
Old 04-24-14, 07:17 PM
clew84
Driver School Candidate

A clear bra well installed is barely noticeable. I went with a partial wrap using Xpel Pro and they did wrap the edges. The only visible line, barely, is the hood. My car is black. Totally worth it (and got the Opticoat) as I drive in Detroit occasionally and do a lot of highway driving.
Old 04-24-14, 07:23 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

mine is wrapped around nearly all edges as mine is a partial and not a full install like jaznraz' and i can't see any lines lest i examine very closely. i came from the same sort of setup package in my 2is and it was worth every penny spent because the bumper and hood looked beautiful when i got rid of the car and bought the 3is.
Old 04-24-14, 07:26 PM
yellow2112
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Dunno. That looks a lot worse than just rock chips to me. I don't know that clear bra would have prevented damage from the size of whatever hit you
Old 04-24-14, 07:53 PM
saewoo
Rookie

Can anyone help me figure this recovery out??

Quick Reply: Rock chips on front bumper :(