IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Every surface sratches.

Old 04-24-14, 06:46 AM
Lextacy03
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Every surface sratches.

The black surface on the console, by the radio, even the plastic in front of the speedometer is scratched. You can only really see it when the light hits it the right way. Is anyone else having this problem.

I expected better from Lexus. I love the Lexus brand but I am sad the say this is the last IS I will ever purchase. I will go up to the GS model from here on out. The wife loves her GX even tho the rear hatch on the GX is a total joke.
Old 04-24-14, 07:49 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I am disappointed in the scratches on my center console, around the Drive Mode Select **** in particular, despite my being very careful. As you correctly noted, the scratches really come out in the sun.

However, I have not found any scratches on the radio or in front of the speedometer.

I have noticed in the RC pictures, the center console appears to be in a textured finish, unlike the gloss of ours. I would think that would resolve the biggest issue (at least for me).
Old 04-24-14, 08:30 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

I have similar scratches including clear plastic over F-sport gauge, can be seen only with sun light. Is it the dealer cleaning or from assembly?
Old 04-24-14, 08:44 AM
Lextacy03
Rookie

I am not sure but for a 50K car I am not happy. I could have purchased a KIa and the inside would not scratch.
Old 04-24-14, 09:03 AM
Mr_VFS1
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A few people on the forums have wrapped the interior which helps get rid of the scratches. You should look into it. It's pretty simple to do and I bet you can find a DIY thread here somewhere.
Old 04-24-14, 09:13 AM
hades281
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The plastic lens in front of the gauges can be easily replaced for not much money, like $25 -- I don't think any car is immune to scratches on this part. You can order that lens from Sewell. I put a light scratch or two in mine with a microfiber towel... I was surprised that the plastic is so soft but next time I'll be more careful.
Old 04-24-14, 09:18 AM
yellow2112
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I've got a few scratches around the mode selection **** too. Only 1500 miles and like said, I've been very careful with it, so I dont know how they got there.

I can live with a scratch or two, but I did think, "if this is scratched now, whats it going to look like in 3 years"
Old 04-24-14, 09:43 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

my biggest grip about this car is these easy to scratch panels.
watch out for the door panels too. there is small scratch from my watch hitting the side right next to the window switches.
Old 04-24-14, 09:53 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Not to downplay this issue, but I'm glad the biggest complaints posted here are fine scratches and not electrical and mechanical issues like the majority of the competition experiences.
Old 04-24-14, 10:33 AM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Same problem here. Some plastic bits can be easily polished with this
Amazon.com: NOVUS 7056 Plastic Polish Kit - 8 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: NOVUS 7056 Plastic Polish Kit - 8 oz.: Automotive

I scratched my anti-reflective coating on the navigation screen and used these to remove it completely. It has a lot of reflection now, but at least no scratches. Don't wipe the screen with anything other than a duster ! Also used it on the shift **** to remove a scratch and it worked great.

As for wrapping the interior, so far every wrap I've seen looked like a downgrade from factory, so to most people wrapping a 3m vinyl isn't an option...There is, however, some vinyl i have found that looks legit, but it's not in carbon fiber look.
Old 04-24-14, 10:54 AM
TheBatman
Driver

Originally Posted by Lextacy03
I am not sure but for a 50K car I am not happy. I could have purchased a KIa and the inside would not scratch.
Those microfine scratches that you can only see in sunlight are acceptable in a vehicle in this price range IMHO. You will find these type of scratches in vehicles much more expensive.
Old 04-24-14, 11:03 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

be careful and use microfiber clothes to do stuff on your interior
Old 04-24-14, 11:31 AM
VelvetFog
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lextacy03
I could have purchased a KIa and the inside would not scratch.
You've never driven a Kia have you? There is a reason the Optima costs half of what an IS does. I've had them as rentals and it's easy to see where the money was saved.
Old 04-24-14, 11:36 AM
Lextacy03
Rookie

[QUOTE=TheShaddix;8503069]Same problem here. Some plastic bits can be easily polished with this
Amazon.com: NOVUS 7056 Plastic Polish Kit - 8 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: NOVUS 7056 Plastic Polish Kit - 8 oz.: Automotive

Thanks for the advice on the product.
Old 04-24-14, 01:27 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Not to downplay this issue, but I'm glad the biggest complaints posted here are fine scratches and not electrical and mechanical issues like the majority of the competition experiences.
This ^. First thing I think of when I saw all the threads along these lines is "The german forums have more depressing problems" and in general most of these lexus problems fall under "first world problems".

That being said, I just noticed I had a lot of scratches around the Volume control which I'm guessing is from my fingernail. Not gonna lie, that did annoy me when I saw them. First thought was, it would be really nice if they used the same material the ML system uses as that stuff (brushed black look) looks nice and doesn't look like it will scratch. So it's a legit complaint but like you said, I'm glad this is the kind of stuff we are complaining most about.

Originally Posted by TheShaddix
Same problem here. Some plastic bits can be easily polished with this Amazon.com: NOVUS 7056 Plastic Polish Kit - 8 oz.: Automotive

I scratched my anti-reflective coating on the navigation screen and used these to remove it completely. It has a lot of reflection now, but at least no scratches. Don't wipe the screen with anything other than a duster ! Also used it on the shift **** to remove a scratch and it worked great.

As for wrapping the interior, so far every wrap I've seen looked like a downgrade from factory, so to most people wrapping a 3m vinyl isn't an option...There is, however, some vinyl i have found that looks legit, but it's not in carbon fiber look.
I don't get the wrapping either, especially when it comes with the editorial "I'm gonna wrap this fake carbon fiber crap with even more fake crap." Just post pics and leave the reason out.

Thanks for the tip on both just the duster and the plastic polish kit. Now I know to avoid microfibers for the screen and the dash.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Every surface sratches.