IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Can you change lane change flasher from 3 flashes to more?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-14, 07:38 AM
CJW
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Can you change lane change flasher from 3 flashes to more?

I find the 3 flashes isn't quite enough for a proper lane change with a couple seconds of notice. I found this video (obviously not an IS) where you can change this to 5 or 7 flashes. IMO, 5 would be ideal.

I followed it, everything works the same way. The right signal comes on full, then I try the 5 flashes, but it never took after (tried 3 times).

Also, where is the flasher box located? I'm wondering if I go all LED signals, if I can just swap a zero minimum load flasher to avoid resistors.
Old 04-21-14, 07:46 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes, you can set it to 3, 5 or 7 flashes. Do a search, the procedure has been described in other threads.
Old 04-21-14, 08:01 AM
CJW
Pole Position

Did a search, but found a dead PDF link. I also found an instruction that shows instead of holding down the signal for 5 clicks (like the video), you simply adjust the intermittent wipers. I'll try that one and hope that works.

Any input on the actual flasher mechanism?
Old 04-21-14, 08:03 AM
Mr_VFS1
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You can go to a dealership and ask them to do it. I heard it is really tough to do and takes some time but they can change it to either 5 or 7.
Old 04-21-14, 09:30 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Follow this procedure. It may take a couple of times to get it right, but it works.

1.) Ignition off, doors closed
2.) Hold the wiper switch in the full up position. (this is the wiper off position)
3.) While holding the wiper switch in the full up position, turn the IG on. (two presses of the start/stop switch)
4.) Hold wiper switch in the full up position for 5 seconds
5.) Move the wiper switch down one "click" or "notch", hold for 5 seconds
6.) Move the wiper switch back to the full up position, hold for 5 seconds
7.) Move the wiper switch down one "click" or "notch". hold for 5 seconds (same position as step 5)
8.) Move the wiper switch back to the rest position (neutral)

If this was done correctly, the right turn signal will flash once.

To adjust how many flashes you want, you change the intermittent wiper speed switch. P1 starts with the speed switch all the way at the bottom, P4 will be the top speed. This is found on the wiper stalk.

P1: 3 blinks
P2: 5 blinks
P3: 7 blinks
P4: Function turned off

Set the intermittent wiper speed to the desired setting.

Use the Turn Signal stalk and push down like you want to activate the left turn signal, the flashers should activate

If the turn signal blinks once, you change it to the "3 flashes" setting
If the turn signal blinks twice, you changed it to the "5 flashes" setting
If the turn signal blinks three times, you changed it to the "7 flashes" setting
If the turn signal blinks four times, you turned the function off.

Once this is done, cycle the ignition switch off, and back on, and it should be changed.
The following 4 users liked this post by doodlebug:
footballpl (05-16-22), Nexus713 (06-07-23), PATCHEZ (01-24-18), sunamer (06-07-23)
Old 04-21-14, 01:17 PM
CJW
Pole Position

Thank you. The video does it differently and what is above works.

I will add one note - when you go to hit the signal after you select the P1/P2/P3/P4 on intermittent, don't push all the way down - just go to the lane change effort.

Odd how they use the wiper stalk to change the signal stalk.

Last edited by CJW; 04-21-14 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-21-14, 01:59 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Originally Posted by CJW
Thank you. The video does it differently and what is above works.

I will add one note - when you go to hit the signal after you select the P1/P2/P3/P4 on intermittent, don't push all the way down - just go to the lane change effort.

Odd how they use the wiper stalk to change the signal stock.
Glad to help. And your added note is the very step that messed me up a couple of times
Old 04-28-14, 11:25 PM
danzeit
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gave this a try today.
Took me a long while to get the first set of steps to work.
Then I realized after observing the video, the guy had it for about 8 seconds.
So, I tried the same amount of time and it worked.

Thanks for sharing the steps doodlebug.
Old 04-29-14, 04:49 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by doodlebug
Follow this procedure. It may take a couple of times to get it right, but it works.

2.) Hold the wiper switch in the full up position. (this is the wiper off position)
3.) While holding the wiper switch in the full up position, turn the IG on. (two presses of the start/stop switch)
7.) Move the wiper switch down one "click" or "notch". hold for 5 seconds (same position as step 5)

To adjust how many flashes you want, you change the intermittent wiper speed switch. P1 starts with the speed switch all the way at the bottom, P4 will be the top speed. This is found on the wiper stalk.

Use the Turn Signal stalk and push down like you want to activate the left turn signal, the flashers should activate

If the turn signal blinks three times, you changed it to the "7 flashes" setting

Once this is done, cycle the ignition switch off, and back on, and it should be changed.
Stealing my write up.
Old 04-29-14, 05:42 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Originally Posted by onepointon
Stealing my write up.
You are correct, it was your write up. I found it the quickest way I could to help out a fellow CL member.

I would never wanna steal your thunder 'cause you helped me.
Old 05-01-14, 04:06 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

You are correct, it was your write up. I found it the quickest way I could to help out a fellow CL member.

I would never wanna steal your thunder 'cause you helped me.
No worries, I was just kidding around.
Old 05-06-14, 11:05 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I tried this but it didnt work..... i managed to get the from step 1 to step 8. (the signal flashed once)

then this section here baffled me

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The section above here is where i failed to get it working.

P1 is for the slowest wiper motion right? and P4 being the Fastest? I moved from P4 to P2 and P1 to P2 after steps 1 to 8.

I tried different intermittent wiper position, but my flashers stay at 3 blinks.
Old 05-07-14, 06:14 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Originally Posted by jennypenny
I tried this but it didnt work..... i managed to get the from step 1 to step 8. (the signal flashed once)

then this section here baffled me

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The section above here is where i failed to get it working.

P1 is for the slowest wiper motion right? and P4 being the Fastest? I moved from P4 to P2 and P1 to P2 after steps 1 to 8.

I tried different intermittent wiper position, but my flashers stay at 3 blinks.
You may be doing what I was doing wrong.
It's been a while so bear with me........once you've set how many flashes you want (P1, P2, etc.) and you activate the blinker to set everything, only push down the stalk far enough for lane switch (1 level down) instead of all the way down for a full on blinker. I think I kept pushing the stalk all the way down like I was using my turn signal and it seemed to cancel everything I did previously. Hopefully, I don't have it backwards....either way, give it a go and see if it works for you.
Old 12-30-14, 02:44 PM
MThomas56
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Lane Change Flasher -- 2013 ES350

I recently purchased a CPO 2013 ES350 with less than 4000 miles on it (just what did the previous owner do with it? LOL). I want to change from 3 to 5 flashes for lane changes. This problem I have with the above is that my wiper stalk positions are: MIST OFF AUTO LO HI; so, full up is MIST, not OFF. In trying the above, the wipers are wiping when I'm holding the stalk, etc. In short, the process doesn't appear to work.

I've also watched repeatedly the much referred to video and cannot tell if the subject vehicle is an ES or other model. Also, in the final steps, when the guy says to "release" the stalk, he moves the stalk down another position as if the previous position was a 2nd temporary or "loaded" position (i.e. suggesting he has two "loaded" positions instead of the one that I have in the MIST mode). If I were to follow his instructions, it would be: Hold in MIST position for 5 seconds, OFF for 5 seconds, MIST for 5 seconds, OFF for 5 seconds, then AUTO at which time I should see a one-time right hand flash, but do not.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 01-04-15, 07:36 PM
steveo55
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought you could change this thru navigation screen. Under vehicle settingd.

Quick Reply: Can you change lane change flasher from 3 flashes to more?