IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Compliments?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-15, 01:09 PM
oddseth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
When I brought the car home my wife was telling me I got a car that looks like a Camry. This was before the new Camry came out. It used to **** me off a little but of course I did not let on that it bothered me :/ Now that the new Camry has come out she is like, "I cant believe Lexus let Toyota do that. Now the cars look the same. How do you tell the better car?" I try telling her that this is a rear wheel drive performance sedan that really shares nothing in common...but...she just gives me the look like I am crazy. Oh well.

Mike
I can definitely relate to that. Before my 3IS, I had a Subaru Legacy Spec.B that ACTUALLY looked like a lowered Camry with a hood scoop and my fiance used to make fun of me for driving a sporty looking Camry. Now that I have gotten the 3IS, I have had nothing but complements from her, both as a passenger and driver as the Subaru was loud and uncomfortable in most driving conditions compared to the beautiful, luxurious, and aggressive looking IS.

And to most of the American car-buying public, they have no clue about the mechanical differences between a transverse, FWD setup and a longitudinal, RWD setup and how separating the drive axle from the steering axle and pushing versus pulling (throttle steering, weight distribution shifts rearward during acceleration therefore RWD maximizes traction during acceleration) is beneficial for sporty and performance driving.
Old 01-15-15, 01:45 PM
oddseth
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by theoryguy3
My gf always tells me I bought an expensive Camry. She's a Prius owner that loves tell me she hasn't bought gas in 13 months, even taped the receipt to the refrigerator.
Well, since you are just driving a fancy Camry (even though the two platforms have nothing in common although that means nothing to a non car person) you can tell her that she is driving an overpriced $15K Yaris 5hitbox (one of the worst cars currently sold) with $15K in batteries and motors added. And that in the grand scheme of things, driving a Prius has a very minimal improvement on its environmental impact compared to said Yaris 5hitbox.

Also, the production of a dedicated hybrid vehicle like the Prius actually causes more greenhouse gas emissions than a larger vehicle such as a Hummer H1. The lightweight materials used to make hybrids are more energy intensive to produce not to mention that battery production is terrible for the environment. Toyota and other hybrid producer rely on batteries that are manufactured from rare earth metals that are mined in China so that they can sidestep pollution controls typically found in first world countries (and reduce costs) at the expense of the environment. And plugin hybrids are not a whole lot better as many ways of generating electricity such as coal result in more pollution than actually using an efficient gasoline engine. Here is a great article that you can share with your GF if you want to totally crush her Prius bragging rights:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/sci...d-benefits.htm

Actually, on second thought if you really like her you may want to lay it on lightly and tell her that if she really cared about the environment, she should get a diesel Golf...

Last edited by oddseth; 01-15-15 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-15-15, 03:14 PM
Thunderwuf
Driver

Also, if you really like your GF, you probably should just tune out and not fight this battle
Old 12-08-15, 02:31 PM
djsohott
Driver School Candidate

I get free upgraded washes every now and then when going to my car wash , they throw free towels in too lol
Old 12-08-15, 06:40 PM
phoenix888
Driver

Received 68 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by nixx621
+1 on strangers not giving compliments...must be a CA thing. Ha.
I've only had one drunk hillbilly say my car was nice. But he said it in more of a "you don't deserve it cuz you look like a punk kid" sort of way, so I just ignored him. Lol. Other than that luxury cars are pretty standard in my area and especially where I live, so no one usually cares.
Just picked up my UW/RR IS350 RWD on Sunday, and over the last two days the compliments just keep coming.... It's hard not to appreciate a car that has such Sexy Lines and @$$ of a trunk that makes you go "DEEEAMMMNNNNN"
Old 12-08-15, 06:47 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by oddseth
Well, since you are just driving a fancy Camry (even though the two platforms have nothing in common although that means nothing to a non car person) you can tell her that she is driving an overpriced $15K Yaris 5hitbox (one of the worst cars currently sold) with $15K in batteries and motors added. And that in the grand scheme of things, driving a Prius has a very minimal improvement on its environmental impact compared to said Yaris 5hitbox.

Also, the production of a dedicated hybrid vehicle like the Prius actually causes more greenhouse gas emissions than a larger vehicle such as a Hummer H1. The lightweight materials used to make hybrids are more energy intensive to produce not to mention that battery production is terrible for the environment. Toyota and other hybrid producer rely on batteries that are manufactured from rare earth metals that are mined in China so that they can sidestep pollution controls typically found in first world countries (and reduce costs) at the expense of the environment. And plugin hybrids are not a whole lot better as many ways of generating electricity such as coal result in more pollution than actually using an efficient gasoline engine. Here is a great article that you can share with your GF if you want to totally crush her Prius bragging rights:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/sci...d-benefits.htm

Actually, on second thought if you really like her you may want to lay it on lightly and tell her that if she really cared about the environment, she should get a diesel Golf...
That's false.
http://thinkprogress.org/climate/200...basis-in-fact/
http://primary.slate.com/articles/he...vs_hybrid.html
Old 12-08-15, 07:22 PM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I first bought my car in 2013 everyone noticed it, now they are everywhere. There's 9 of them in my neighborhood .