IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lexus IS Next to Get Turbocharged 4-Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-14, 05:28 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

^^ Supposedly it was a carryover diesel manual transmission from European market models. These days unless gearing is specifically tall (i.e.: Chevy Cruze Eco 6-speed) manuals are no longer the most fuel efficient gearboxes.

That said, if the lower fuel economy were the ONLY downside to the IS250 6-speed manual transmission it's a negligible complaint. A bigger issue would be why it (or another 6-speed manual gearbox) wasn't put against the IS350 engine so as to justify the lower fuel economy figures and better target niche Lexus buyers who want a stick for the driver involvement with their 300+ horsepower. Some people may have wanted a 6-speed manual option but upon seeing it weren't available on the more powerful model either shrugged and bought the 350 anyway or went elsewhere if they were dead set on a stick.
Old 04-24-14, 05:36 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

another issue is govt keeps pushing higher and higher mpg requirements. 8spd AT will beat out a 6spd manual. I would not want to have a 8MT. I would be skipping half of the gears
Old 04-24-14, 05:56 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Neither would I. I'd rather have a 7MT which has already been proven in the new Corvette and 911. Beyond seven manual gears it probably wouldn't be a great experience though.

As for the fuel economy regulations... I'd much rather have a more efficient smaller displacement engine with less cylinders that is either gasoline direct injection turbo, common rail turbo diesel, or turbo gasoline hybrid rather than sacrifice the rear wheels being driven or a stick option.

There will be a time in the not too far future when even that extreme will be impossible to attain and meet CAFE requirements. At the moment, however, we aren't there yet. Lexus *could* offer the manual transmission again in the *appropriate* cars for the time being, given their new engine technologies. They just won't.

Eventually, it actually won't be something they can decide they do or do not want to offer. At the moment, it's just their choice not to. Otherwise, how would BMW, Audi, Cadillac, Ford, Chevrolet, Subaru, Mini, Fiat, etc. all be able to get away with offering traditional manuals in current models?
Old 04-24-14, 08:45 AM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sternb818
I'm sorry but I think that a vehicle with a manual transmission isn't Luxury either. I would assume that someone who buys a luxurious car, wants to have a clean ride and let the car do all of the work while they relax and listen to music. They don't want to have to worry about shifting or anything like that. I like how the car comes with the manual mode and paddle shifters because when I want to use them, I can. I am not forced to use it all the time.
The meaning of the word "luxury" as it applies to cars can be debated all day long, it truly means different things to different people.

In general terms, a luxury item is any item at a level beyond necessary, meaning there are things in life we need and there are things in life we want, and of course there are at times overlap between the two, but the farther on the side of "want" an item falls, and the farther it drifts from "need", then the more of a "luxury" it is by definition.

So, while some might say "to me, a luxury car means ______", by the purist definition a 400HP engine is a quintessential example of a luxury item. It is in addition to, or above and beyond the amount of horsepower that is needed, and exists only for indulgence or enjoyment.

I think TV commercials have conditioned us to associate the word luxury with plush comfort, but that's not what the word means. To me when I think of the word luxury as it applies to cars, "luxury tax" always comes to mind for some reason, reminding me of a more accurate meaning of the term than what the television car salesmen want me to think it means.
Old 04-24-14, 08:48 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Neither would I. I'd rather have a 7MT which has already been proven in the new Corvette and 911. Beyond seven manual gears it probably wouldn't be a great experience though.

As for the fuel economy regulations... I'd much rather have a more efficient smaller displacement engine with less cylinders that is either gasoline direct injection turbo, common rail turbo diesel, or turbo gasoline hybrid rather than sacrifice the rear wheels being driven or a stick option.

There will be a time in the not too far future when even that extreme will be impossible to attain and meet CAFE requirements. At the moment, however, we aren't there yet. Lexus *could* offer the manual transmission again in the *appropriate* cars for the time being, given their new engine technologies. They just won't.

Eventually, it actually won't be something they can decide they do or do not want to offer. At the moment, it's just their choice not to. Otherwise, how would BMW, Audi, Cadillac, Ford, Chevrolet, Subaru, Mini, Fiat, etc. all be able to get away with offering traditional manuals in current models?
I agree.
There's no way the manufacturers can cope with the future emission demands with a MT. There has to be a computer controlling the gears, and shift fast enough to keep the fuel consumption down.
Old 06-26-14, 03:14 PM
DarthLex
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rumor: Lexus IS to Get 2-Liter Turbocharged Four?

Rumor: Lexus IS to Get 2-Liter Turbocharged Four?

By Marcus Slater

submit to reddit

P

14-04-20-lexus-nx-turbo-engine-2.jpg

Now here's an interesting thought: What if Lexus put their new turbo four into the IS? They could call it, "The IS 200t." I can practically smell the promotional materials being printed already.

I don't hate Lexus' 2.5-liter V6, but it's not a particularly thrilling engine . For it's displacement and size and weight, it's seriously under powered . Even with the understanding that it's a base model option, the IS needs a better powerplant for it's entry level option . If the rumormill is to be believed, it'll be getting it soon.

Lexus just announced they'll be putting a 2-liter turbocharged four cylinder in the engine bay of the NX that'll make 238 horsepower and 258 lb-ft of torque. This is just a rumor, but honestly, this seems like a no brainer. The IS would be lighter, more powerful and more efficient, if it had what the NX has.

That'd be a break from the IS's six-cylinder heritage (in the USA, anyway), but I don't think the fanboys will mind that too much. Consider for a moment, that the four-cylinder turbo charged IS would be more powerful than every other base model IS, including the original IS 300. Also, consider that Lexus won't have the boost cranked all the way up out of the gate. I'm willing to bet that a chip will be able to get this motor past it's current 238 horsepower with ease.

A small, turbo charged, four cylinder sedan from Lexus. I never thought it'd happen. Next thing you know they'll give it a stick.

A guy can hope right?

via [Left Lane News]

Not my post but just wanted to see hear thoughts on it. When I read this in a magazine somewhere I was hopeful. Like the writer states "a guy can hope"
Old 06-26-14, 03:25 PM
Nelly
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

From what I've been reading on the web, the 2015 will be the IS200t ! Kinda excited as we'll have someone in the future swap one of these babies in the ISx50
Old 06-26-14, 04:13 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

yeah the rumor has been around awhile though but im far from excited because the car will still be about is250 power range also with the lack of tuning support for these cars, the most youll probably be able to do is a boost controller and light bolt ons.

and still run the risk of getting pulled by a 350 lol
Old 06-26-14, 04:36 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I'd like to see this little motor in a small, lighter-weight 2-dr coupe; Miata-killer!
Old 06-26-14, 05:40 PM
DarthLex
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmSW20
yeah the rumor has been around awhile though but im far from excited because the car will still be about is250 power range also with the lack of tuning support for these cars, the most youll probably be able to do is a boost controller and light bolt ons.

and still run the risk of getting pulled by a 350 lol
True but a very positive step in the right direction. Lighter engine +30hp means better times all around. Also a reason to upgrade from an 07' aside from an obvious face lift that seems to have a love hate relationship with some.
Old 06-26-14, 06:42 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by InspireME
From what I've been reading on the web, the 2015 will be the IS200t ! Kinda excited as we'll have someone in the future swap one of these babies in the ISx50
I thought we put this to rest already? 2016 IS200t. 2015 is carry over. I reported on 4/16/14 about a Lexus Dealers Meeting in which IS200t, GS200t, and RC200t were announced for September 2015. I try to keep our Future of Lexus Discussion thread as updated as possible for everyone

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...iscussion.html
Old 06-27-14, 03:38 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish they'll put this engine in CT.. That would make a great little car.
Old 06-27-14, 04:07 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish my IS350 was faster and more fuel efficient.

By the way, have you guys look at the new generation Mercedes C Class? I kind of regretted that it didn't come out the same year as the new generation IS or else I might have bought the C350 instead. Not like I entirely dislike the design of my IS350, but that new C Class is sexy inside out with new and better technology equipped. Wonder what new technology is going to be in it for the 2016 IS?
Old 06-27-14, 07:39 AM
dasbuch
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FinaLpeace

By the way, have you guys look at the new generation Mercedes C Class? I kind of regretted that it didn't come out the same year as the new generation IS or else I might have bought the C350 instead. Not like I entirely dislike the design of my IS350, but that new C Class is sexy inside out with new and better technology equipped. Wonder what new technology is going to be in it for the 2016 IS?
I personally think the new C class suffers from a common problem in exterior design, boring rear-end design. Something about those round headlights. Front and sides look good but the rear-end is just uninspiring, while the 3IS looks great from every angle.

It's true that a lot of cars suffer same, and some say will well how often do you look at the back of your car? The truth is probably more often than any other angles when not driving -- most of the time when I approach my car in a parking lot, I'm approaching from the back. The amount of time a driver heading in the same direction sees the back of my car is much greater than the amount of time drivers headed in the opposite direction see the front.

I just think the Lexus design team really redeemed their past, differentiated themselves with the current gen IS, and made BMW, Benz, and Audi look quite boring by comparison.
Old 06-27-14, 09:56 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by FinaLpeace

C350 is discontinued. C400 4Matic which will be released initially with a 3.0L T V6 329hp and 354lbft

Quick Reply: Lexus IS Next to Get Turbocharged 4-Cylinder