IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3is OEM tires replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-14, 10:00 AM
3IS4ME
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
going with a 235 up front will change the rolling diameter also introducing negative rake. In other words, your front bumper is now going to sit up 1/4" higher than it used to while the rear bumper will remain in the same place. This is not a desirable trait.

If you want to reduce understeer a suggestion would be to find a rim that accepts a 255/35/18 in the front.

Mike
Not sure I quite understand your logic here. A 235/40 is only 4mm greater in diameter than a 225/40, so the front will only rise about 2mm. The speed difference will only be ~.7mph at 60mph, which is negligible.
Old 04-20-14, 04:23 PM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 3IS4ME
Not sure I quite understand your logic here. A 235/40 is only 4mm greater in diameter than a 225/40, so the front will only rise about 2mm. The speed difference will only be ~.7mph at 60mph, which is negligible.
These are the front tires we are talking about so there will not be any speedometer change.

The difference in diameter is not 4mm. It is 8mm.

This will lift the front end of the car by 4mm. This will introduce negative rake and it will change the vehicles aerodynamics from factory spec. This isnt a huge difference but it's not something I would think of doing to help improve any performance aspect of the car at all.

Mike
Old 04-20-14, 07:33 PM
3IS4ME
Driver School Candidate

You're right- miscalculated.
Old 04-20-14, 08:20 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

These are the front tires we are talking about so there will not be any speedometer change.

This will lift the front end of the car by 4mm. This will introduce negative rake and it will change the vehicles aerodynamics from factory spec. This isnt a huge difference but it's not something I would think of doing to help improve any performance aspect of the car at all.

Mike
negative rake...

more explanation please. am so blur
Old 04-21-14, 05:05 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Negative rake is when the front of the car sits higher than the back of the car. Positive rake is when the back of the car sits higher than the front of the car. Sometimes a very small amount of positive rake is used as part of the aerodynamics of a car. Usually negative rake is avoided. If you added a lot of negative rake you could eventually get a car very unstable at high speeds. Maybe some remember the Mercedes protoypes that did flips just from driving forward on a track.

Old 05-09-14, 12:00 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jhs82
Here you go!

First verdict after 15 miles on brand new Dunlop Sport Maxx RT 225/40/18. The noise is more high pitched than my winter tires, and the stock Bridgestone summer tires. And they really are quieter. I hear the wind noice more clearly now.

The real test will be tomorrow with my daily commute to work. 55 miles, of which 50 miles in 70 mph.
Can you give us your final verdict ?
And did the tires sound noisy after putting miles on them ?
I postponed changing the tires until after the summer , since the temperature may go up to 50 degree C in my country .
Old 05-09-14, 07:13 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

stock rears for PSS are on national backorder with no ETA. So if anyones looking for that you may want to look at other brand/models. Continental DW is a good tire after the PSS. I went with 10mm wider sizes on the PSS, looks a little bit thicker than I expected but I wanted to try out PSS without the backorder. The stock tires looked laughably puny, stretched, have a little less wheel gap now with the thicker tires. My speedo shouldnt be off too much, it was calculated about +1.2%. With the wider rear and grippier compound of PSS, acceleration feels a bit harder. I havent tested it out much because the roads were damp this morning. Plan to do some tracking later in the year, i try to avoid summers, too hot.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...zed-tires.html

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 05-09-14 at 07:19 AM.
Old 05-09-14, 07:17 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AMNss
Can you give us your final verdict ?
And did the tires sound noisy after putting miles on them ?
I postponed changing the tires until after the summer , since the temperature may go up to 50 degree C in my country .
They still seems quieter than the OEM Bridgestone. I'm happy with them.
Old 06-10-14, 05:44 AM
EffedSport
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nayuta
I have the DWS right now on another car and they are very loud. Lots of road noise at least compared to the OEM Potenzas I had on before. The DWS are grippier though.

I will probably put on Pilot Super Sports when it's time to switch out the OEMs.

I want to switch the stock bridgestone EL400s to something less noisy. Seemed that conti DWS was best all season choice. Anyone else have DWS's and have noise complaints?
Old 06-10-14, 05:56 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

i want the quietest, smoothest/plushest ride that i can possibly get out of my car and am also looking to replace the bridgestone oems. i have absolutely no idea in which direction to look, though. tirerack.com, maybe? everyone seems to have a different opinion on what constitutes subjective terms like smooth, or plush, or refined. sigh.

oh, and the car is located in california, not spain, so all of the aforementioned suited to california weather, i.e. grand-touring tires (?)

Last edited by davyjordi; 06-10-14 at 06:18 AM.
Old 06-10-14, 06:52 AM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
i want the quietest, smoothest/plushest ride that i can possibly get out of my car and am also looking to replace the bridgestone oems. i have absolutely no idea in which direction to look, though. tirerack.com, maybe? everyone seems to have a different opinion on what constitutes subjective terms like smooth, or plush, or refined. sigh.

oh, and the car is located in california, not spain, so all of the aforementioned suited to california weather, i.e. grand-touring tires (?)
Try conti premium contact 5
Old 06-10-14, 07:48 AM
EffedSport
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jennypenny
Try conti premium contact 5
not available in US
Old 06-10-14, 09:12 AM
LEXLUIS
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have DSW conti on my LS with 20"wheels. great ride even with plus 2 sixe.

On my son IS I put Michelins

IMO I will rank Michelins as my first option
and Conti DSW second.

they are both great tires.
Old 06-10-14, 09:18 AM
EffedSport
Driver School Candidate

Just ordered Pilot Super Sports from tirerack
Old 06-10-14, 03:56 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position