help with picking a colour

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-14, 09:59 AM
thegrey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with picking a colour

Hi guys,

I signed the lease papers for an 2014 Lexus IS 350 F sport RWD and I am at the colour choice phase. The three colours I am thinking about is atomic silver, nebula grey pearl and the matador red mica, with the latter two being the likely choices for me.

I have seen a nebula gray pearl at the local Toyota dealer (no Lexus dealer in my town), but the other two colours only in pics.

I have two questions for you:

1) Does the atomic silver have a champagne or beige tinge to it? In that case I would definitely not consider it.

2) I was wondering whether a Lexus IS owner with a Matador Red MIca colour would be willing to post a picture of the car that they feel mirrors the colour of the car perfectly. I have seen a myriad of pics of this colour of the net, but there is a huge variance in shade and I cannot tell how it does look like exactly. Also, many of the pictures seem artificially enhanced. If someone could post an accurate/realistic pic or refer me to a pic they feel represents the matador red accurately, I would very much appreciate that. I am afraid to commit to that colour without having seen it in person, or at least without having seen a pic that is considered accurate by someone who has one.

Thank you in advance.

thegrey
Old 03-29-14, 10:12 AM
ISISGUY
Rookie

Loaner I got while mine was in for service, I wish I would've gotten a pic of it in the sun. A little too red for me, very nice color though, just not for me. In the sun it's almost like nail polish red.
Attached Thumbnails help with picking a colour-image-1395727339.jpg  
Old 03-29-14, 10:20 AM
thegrey
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the pic. Would you say it looks maroon in the sun? That is a colour I most definitely want to avoid.
Old 03-29-14, 11:11 AM
ISISGUY
Rookie

In the sun it's definitely more red than maroon. It's just slightly darker in the shade. The front driver side corner is actually in the sun in the pic, that's pretty much how it looks in the sun.
Old 03-29-14, 11:53 AM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Matardor red is a great color choice
Old 03-29-14, 01:33 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

Red is nice.. Dark colors seem to match this car best due to the body lines, imo.

White is great at night though
Old 03-29-14, 01:50 PM
yycdave
Driver

Atomic Silver is an AMAZING colour in the sun.

I very nearly got it, I just loved the look of Ultra White too much.

I don't think the red works as well myself - the tail lights are sexy and with MRM it blends in with the body. Nebula Grey is a great colour but is more pedestrian.

As this thread will tell you, you can't go wrong. Everyone likes their own thing.
Old 03-29-14, 02:51 PM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I love my MRM/ Black combo, The car posted here with the picture is pretty close to what you will see parked in the shade or near dusk time. In the sun the metallic in the paint really show up nice. The color is not maroon in any way in the sun or shade.
The atomic grey is very nice also but if I remember right it was not available in F Sport trim in the States.

Originally Posted by thegrey
Hi guys,

I signed the lease papers for an 2014 Lexus IS 350 F sport RWD and I am at the colour choice phase. The three colours I am thinking about is atomic silver, nebula grey pearl and the matador red mica, with the latter two being the likely choices for me.

I have seen a nebula gray pearl at the local Toyota dealer (no Lexus dealer in my town), but the other two colours only in pics.

I have two questions for you:

1) Does the atomic silver have a champagne or beige tinge to it? In that case I would definitely not consider it.

2) I was wondering whether a Lexus IS owner with a Matador Red MIca colour would be willing to post a picture of the car that they feel mirrors the colour of the car perfectly. I have seen a myriad of pics of this colour of the net, but there is a huge variance in shade and I cannot tell how it does look like exactly. Also, many of the pictures seem artificially enhanced. If someone could post an accurate/realistic pic or refer me to a pic they feel represents the matador red accurately, I would very much appreciate that. I am afraid to commit to that colour without having seen it in person, or at least without having seen a pic that is considered accurate by someone who has one.

Thank you in advance.

thegrey
Old 03-29-14, 05:03 PM
askad007
Driver School Candidate

silver is better car than red, but if women drive the car red is the color
Old 03-29-14, 05:05 PM
ISDAS
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 27 Posts

^ ouch.. will get some flack.

go with the silver imo.
Old 03-29-14, 05:23 PM
huudoo
Driver School Candidate

Silver Lining

Old 03-29-14, 07:24 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Grey would look good. From what I've seen Lexus does a good job with their Grey based colours.
Old 03-29-14, 08:15 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by thegrey
Hi guys,

2) I was wondering whether a Lexus IS owner with a Matador Red MIca colour would be willing to post a picture of the car that they feel mirrors the colour of the car perfectly.
thegrey
First a big congrats on your new lease! And to answer your questions:

1). Yes, Atomic silver has a hint of champagne in certain lighting conditions/angles.

2) I have owned a CT and 2IS, both MRM and for good reasons. It's a beautiful bold metallic red. In direct sunlight, it shows a brighter side, almost as light as a Honda "Milano Red" (1st pic, also with RX in Nebula Gray) while in the shade or lower lighting conditions into night, it has a darker tint to it (pic with snow). I would not call the darker side of MRM Maroon as that implies a hint of brown, but a shade below that. In contrast you can see below the RX F-Sport in Claret Red Mica which is a wine/maroon-like color, clearly showing it's darker and with more brownish tones in bright sunlight over MRM in low lighting (CT pic with snow). Final pic of Claret Mica in low lighting shows the darkest side, almost wine-like in color. MRM in its darkest form is nowhere near this. Hope this helps!

P.S. Lexus paint is engineered to reflect several different tones, shades, and colors on the same car depending on lighting and angle which is why you see so many differences in the pics. So to ask for pics that "best represents" the color of the car is impossible. Even my USB 3IS emits at least 3-4 "different" blues from a lighter to an almost purplish blue. As for MRM, I've included pics to best illustrate the extremes of the two "extreme" shades of MRM below from brightest to darkest, while ISISGUY's MRM pic above is in the middle of this spectrum.
Attached Thumbnails help with picking a colour-ctrx1.jpg   help with picking a colour-ct2.jpg   help with picking a colour-claretm1.jpg   help with picking a colour-claretm2.jpg  

Last edited by corradoMR2; 03-29-14 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-30-14, 12:43 PM
thegrey
Driver School Candidate

Hi guys,

Thank you very much for your enthusiastic welcome and advice, much appreciated. Also, I am grateful for the pics and the personal input, especially from CorradoMR2

Silver is not offered in Canada with the F sport premium package - so that is out.

I agree with posters that the dark colours seem to be better in terms of relaying better the design of the car. I also echo the concern that the MRM washes out the tail lights' design.

The local Toyota dealer informed me yesterday that in order to qualify for the March deals (2 complimentary lease payments in Canada), I need to pick something that is readily available in Ontario. If they need to order it from Japan, I cannot get the present offers (no VIN to enter on the lease). Out of the two colour choices (MRM and NGP), only the latter seems to be available in Ontario in RWD, so I guess that is what I have to pick. I have seen the nebula gray pearl in person and I like it. It remains to be seen whether the dealer can get it for me (I will find out tomorrow, 31 March).
Old 03-30-14, 06:06 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

You're welcome.

I agree the rear lights get washed out with MRM. I had the same "issue" with my 2IS and CT. I love NGP on the RX and it's because I have it, I didn't want the IS in the same color, otherwise NGP/Rioja would have been a serious contender. Congrats on deciding on your NGP 3IS and keep us posted!
Attached Thumbnails help with picking a colour-rxf1.jpg  

Quick Reply: help with picking a colour