IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Dead Battery + Jump Start = CEL and TRAC OFF = annoyed

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-14, 09:06 AM
shreddog
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Battery + Jump Start = CEL and TRAC OFF = annoyed

Went to load up my car this past Friday afternoon for a weekend ski trip. Interior lights, alarm and trunk lights all worked as normal. Loaded up and went back inside.

An hour later, went back to the car to leave and....nothing...lots of flashing lights but the igntion wouldn't crank and I had an almost completely dead battery. I have no idea why the battery discharged so quickly during that hour. I did not turn on the interior lights (they were set to turn on and off with the doors openeing/closing) and all the doors were closed when I left (same procedure I have used with all my cars).

Anyway, waited an hour and half for the Lexus Roadside assistance to send over AAA for a jump. Started up reight away but the CEl went on the "TRAC OFF" was on the center gauge. I thought it was Traction Control, but the button on the center arm rest lights up a different indication when you turn Traction Control off, so I had no idea what this meant. I had a bunch of people waiting for me to majke the 5-6 hour drive to Vermont, so had to quickly rent a car (annoyed I had to spend $400 to rent a car when I have a brand new car!).

I've read that there may be issues with some batteries, so hopefully they will switch out the battery. When I got to the dealer this morning, CEL and "TRAC OFF" was still showing. I showed the technician, and he noted it. I then turned the car off and he turned it back on to check the mileage and both the CEL and "TRAC OFF" were gone! Figures. Glad the techniciian saw it before I turned the car off or he would've thought I was crazy.

Let's see what happens.
Old 03-24-14, 10:31 AM
sc00b
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

interesting, hope this isnt a recurring problem for others
Old 03-25-14, 06:15 AM
shreddog
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the car back from the dealer and they said everything checked out fine. The CEL and the TRAC OFF turning on is standard when jump starting the car and will eventually clear if there are no additional issues. I'm a little skeptical as I really don't believe that I left anything on to drain the battery. They said they checked the battery and that it was good, so I guess we'll see.

One more thing to annoy me...they washed my car even though I asked them not to. I don't know why the service guys can't seem to read "Customer Requests NO Car Wash". My fault for not having a sign to put in the windshield, though I'm not even sure that would have worked!