IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3Gen IS or IS-f

Old 03-01-14, 06:58 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Brand new IS350 F-Sport or used IS-F?

What would you rather buy, a brand new IS350 F-Sport or a used IS-F for about the same price as a brand new IS350 F-Sport which would make the IS-F about 2-3 yrs old?

I've been in IS's and GS's since 2009 so not sure getting into a last generation car would be exciting or not.

Pro's for the IS350 F-Sport:
-Brand New Car
-New Technology
-Fresh new interior
-Better Gas mileage
-Factory Warranty

Pro's for IS-F
-Faster car
-Amazing sound of the V-8
-More fun?

Am I missing anything?

BTW the 3rd car I'm considering is the RC350 F-Sport

Last edited by Diesel350; 03-01-14 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-01-14, 07:43 PM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I considered the same until the 3IS came out, it looked aggressive and drove so well compared to 2IS, so I just had to have it. You have to think about what will make you happier many years from now and make that choice yourself.
Old 03-01-14, 08:14 PM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Was looking at an ISF before getting the IS. Prefer the new look. An ISF in the new body will be my next car if Lexus makes it.
Old 03-01-14, 09:39 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I just test drove an ISF for the third time, and, to be honest, I was really convinced that i made the wrong choice in cars with my 3IS while standing next to the ISF. But the second I got back into my car I felt good. I was a big fan of the ISF since the first time a friend let me drive one. But now there is just no need for one, in my opinion. The new IS interior is much better in every way, and the ability to choose driving modes is also really nice. Plus you can still get the same 8 speed transmission. And besides the torque/hp, the ISF has nothing on the new IS with an aftermarket exhaust. Plus when you get a used ISF, just remember that you're getting a car that was driven much harder than a regular IS due to its addicting attributes. If it were an ISF vs. a stock 3IS, for sure the ISF is my choice. But if you compare it to a nicely modded 3IS, there really isn't much to write home about once you're used to the power.
Old 03-01-14, 11:55 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

The ISF would get my vote. The wild motor and clean front styling would win me over.
Old 03-02-14, 02:45 AM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Diesel350

Am I missing anything?
The IS350 will be cheaper to maintain. When you step into the M3/ISF range the price for service goes up QUITE a bit. This is assuming you are financing though and own the car out of the warranty period.

I think the people above me said it best. You taking someone else's horse beaten car on. Your getting the older body style and older interior.

BUT 400 ponies with real V8 growl... and it's still a damn good sexy car. Ya tough choice.

Its so close to a new model year. I say wait if you really want the IS-F.
Old 03-02-14, 03:02 AM
ISDAS
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 27 Posts

scrap that, went with the 3IS
but yes definitely was considering the ISF.

Last edited by ISDAS; 03-11-14 at 04:18 AM.
Old 03-02-14, 05:54 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

My previous car had about 400 hp. Really thrilling when I could use it all -- which wasn't often. But in my Mario Andretti fantasy's I was at the track often but in reality -- never. Now I'm an advocate of balance and harmony in a car -- that's something the older sports cars strived for which made them so much fun imo. IN fact I've owned a lot of 400 hp cars and as I think back -- I never really needed the hp except one summer when I went out looking for cars to street race.
Old 03-02-14, 06:04 AM
Alius
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
My previous car had about 400 hp. Really thrilling when I could use it all -- which wasn't often. But in my Mario Andretti fantasy's I was at the track often but in reality -- never. Now I'm an advocate of balance and harmony in a car -- that's something the older sports cars strived for which made them so much fun imo. IN fact I've owned a lot of 400 hp cars and as I think back -- I never really needed the hp except one summer when I went out looking for cars to street race.
^ This.

Unless you're in the track every other weekend or so, personally I wouldn't get the IS-F. Yes, those 400 ponies are sexy but how often will you get to use it in the real world? Not to mention in a few years the old body and interior style will feel outdated on the road compared with the new 3IS that's out and the upcoming RC
Old 03-02-14, 07:09 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I was in this exact position a few months ago. I had an 06 IS350 I was looking at used 2011+ ISFs but they cost as much as a new 2014 IS F Sport. I ultimately realized that the ISF is 80% the same car as my 06 was. I went with the new IS for all the new updates and its a big change over the 06. 2011 IS is still a 06 design. Having V8 is dead sexy and all but youre not going to be using it unless you track it often.
Old 03-02-14, 09:24 AM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Glashub
Using this logic, would you be happy with a Miata, FR/S, or a 318i? These are all "balanced" cars that have one thing in common: they're slow.

I'm not criticizing--everybody is different, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the 110HP difference b/t the IS F and the 3IS 350. Let's not forget about the sizable difference in torque as well, which makes a huge difference in the driving experience.

My d/d is a Mustang GT, which has a 114HP and a 113 lb/ft torque advantage over my '14 350 F Sport. Even though my Lexus is a better car, the Mustang is a blast to drive. Can I tell the difference when I jump into my F Sport after driving the Mustang? You bet I can. In 2011, when Ford dropped its "Coyote" V8 into the Mustang it transformed the car.

OP, the 2014 IS 350 is a great car, which is also fun to drive. But you'll see a lot of forum members (like me) who lament its relative lack of power. It's also worth keeping this in mind: your chances of making a 350 F Sport go faster (through the aftermarket) are slim to none. So, if speed is unimportant to you, go with the newer car. It's a tough choice, so good luck with your decision.
Old 03-02-14, 09:44 AM
sc00b
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IS F would be a fun choice, but the new 3IS is going to serve you better for a d/d IMO
Old 03-02-14, 09:53 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay Uncle Spud you'll also see a lot of forum members perfectly happy with the 350 in real world driving situations. The fixation on hp imo is like a fixation on *****. The gal in the black dress looks great and has big ***** but would you want her raising your kids.

I'm telling you I've owned a number of 400hp cars including a 2012 Genesis. You can't use it in real world driving. It's an ego thing and here in LA I assure you that any perception of exclusivity is quickly punctured. The dd Mustang experience you exalt is played out like this in the real word.-- breath taking acceleration until you hit 40 and the suffocating panic as you have to slam on your brakes so you don't rear end the traffic jam.

Finally well balanced cars have saved my life numerous time by being nimble enough to avoid accidents. Can't think of a time when 400hp got me out of a jam but can think of plenty of times the 400 hp got me in a jam.

Put that V8 in a 3IS and I might be singing a different tune but that 2IS suspension is crude. That's what you experience every day -- the suspension.
Old 03-02-14, 10:01 AM
Alius
Pole Position

OP, here's the solution: get both!
Old 03-02-14, 10:04 AM
YoMushi
Driver School Candidate

or get the new new IS-F......... !!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3Gen IS or IS-f