IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 IS250 iPod Error

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-14, 12:12 AM
JayOhh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 IS250 iPod Error

What's up guys, I just bought a 2014 IS250 F Sport last week and anytime I plug in my iPhone 5s (running iOS 7.0.6) using the USB I get "iPod Error" It'll play a few songs then I'll have to manually reconnect after I get the error, other times it doesn't play at all just a series of "iPod error" until i restart my phone.. Everything works fine on bluetooth audio but that kills my battery on long drives, anyone else experiencing this problem, or have a fix? Much appreciated.
Old 03-05-14, 12:19 AM
scarboy693
Rookie

It was doing the same for me. I do have 3000+ songs on my iPhone as well, but I ended up getting a charger for the AC outlet and using that to plug in and play over bluetooth
Old 03-05-14, 08:48 AM
antonyw
Driver School Candidate

Had the same issue with my 5s and did the same as scarboy, USB adapter in the 12V port in the console for charging and then play through bluetooth. I do have an ipod nano plugged into the USB input as well and that's working fine in ipod mode but usually just play music from the phone.
Old 03-05-14, 07:07 PM
JayOhh
Driver School Candidate

I feel like there should be a fix for this as it is somewhat of a software issue. I'll check back with my Lexus dealership to see if there any updates on this. But we shouldn't have to use a work around.
Old 03-05-14, 07:27 PM
scarboy693
Rookie

Didn't bug me much tbh, since I've been using bluetooth streaming for a while including in my old 3 series. the IS's system lets you browse the music content and use the enForm apps as well so its pretty much like having it hardwired
Old 03-05-14, 07:39 PM
kokonutz
Driver School Candidate

They need to fix this, sure you can AC power, but what's the point of the USB to iphone connection then?
Old 09-26-14, 05:29 PM
Jmahon526
Driver School Candidate

Default Same issue

I have a 2014 ISF as well - Same issue - It's very annoying - I do not want to use bluetooth as I have a long drive home and my phone battery will die. My service adviser has told me there should be a software fix soon - I want this fixed as well. We should not have to do workarounds
Old 09-26-14, 06:03 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

My iPhone 4 does the same thing. It's annoying.
Old 09-27-14, 02:16 PM
flip2014
Driver School Candidate

This is similar to what I described in another thread. I have a 2015 IS350 and I an IPOD classic 160g, it worked perfectly in my old Acura 2010 but in the lexus it would play 3 or 4 songs and just give ipod error and the only way to get it back was reboot the IPOD. I tried both USB ports and it happened in both ports. I called Lexus and they said never heard of this issue. I went ahead and had an older 80g IPOD and I copied only 10-20g's of music and used that. It worked for about 3 days (1 hour or so music) and then same thing happened. Kind of frustrated it doesn't work. Mine was plugged in with ipod cable not Bluetooth.

Speaking of music, and I don't want to get off track but, the new update for enform is nice (when it works) Slacker is nice, new Iheart interface is better, but I find myself watching the spinning icon in the middle waiting and waiting only to see it error out. Then I got to restart the app on my phone.. Now if I try to reboot the radio with the power ****, it works, but then my Bluetooth doesn't connect until I reboot phone. S4. Pain in the neck, but when it works its much better (I guess)..
Old 09-27-14, 03:03 PM
tinysumo
Driver School Candidate

I have the same issue on my iphone 5 when connected via usb. Even if Iam streaming via Bluetooth audio and just charging with the USB it'll happen.
Old 09-28-14, 08:47 AM
flip2014
Driver School Candidate

After reading about the same problem with very similar issues, it appears as someone else said, it could be a power issue. There isn't enough power in the usb ports to support IPODS,Iphones correctly. This is why it takes a bit of time before the problem occurs when I said 3 to 4 songs.

If there is a device that allows for using the IPOD connector and giving it Cig Lighter power might solve the problem, but I don't know of anything like that. When I call Lexus, they just keep saying they never heard of this issue and blow it off, but after reading on here, obviously its happening to a lot of people. "IPOD ERROR"

I would really like this to be fixed as this is "broken"
Old 09-28-14, 09:04 AM
FSportDRM
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've gotten than error since I've had my car also. I don't believe this is a power issue but more of the actual system trying to download the songs and information for hands free commands. This issue also occurs in my 15 Acura MDX where the whole navigation system shuts down but the music keeps playing.

I find that the systems tends not to shut down the longer you keep the iPhone plugged in. Also, I an 80gb classic iPod that I plug in that never shuts the system down. Could it be a lightning issue as far as power?
Old 09-28-14, 08:01 PM
amorales
Driver School Candidate

just got my 2015 and same crap! i hate it!
Old 09-28-14, 09:39 PM
ideutsch
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down

I just brought home my 2015 IS 350 F Sport yesterday and have been having the same issue with "iPod Error" appearing on the screen and music from my iPhone 5s via USB cable stopping. If I goto the media menu and select the iPhone as the audio device, playback picks up where it left off. I've also noticed that all Lexus Inform applications use only bluetooth for audio even when USB is connected.

Looking through the Navigation System Owner's Manual, page 200 has an info note that may explain this behavior. "An iPhone cannot be connected via Bluetooth and USB connection at the same time. however, it is possible to recharge an iPhone while using applications by connecting via USB. The system uses the connection method that was used last. Therefore, if connected via USB after Bluetooth connection, it is necessary to reconnect the iPhone via Bluetooth."

Reading this leads me to believe that the system is unable to maintain a USB connection for audio while maintaining a bluetooth connection for phone functions. I don't know the specifics of the software, but maybe the system periodically connects via bluetooth (for what reason I don't know). Just a guess as I have not tried operating with just an iPod connected via USB instead of the iPhone to see if the issue occurs. Seems that connecting via Bluetooth will be the best/only option in addition to using a 12v charger until Lexus fixes their software implementation.

Frustrating issue for this class of vehicle.

Edit: Additional note on page 358 of Navigation System Owner's Manual. "If an iPhone is connected via Bluetooth and USB at the same time, system operation may become unstable. For known phone compatibility information, refer to http://www.lexus.com/enform". I really wish there was a complete PDF of our manual instead of just sections on their website.

Last edited by ideutsch; 09-28-14 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-29-14, 08:33 AM
FSportDRM
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ideutsch
I just brought home my 2015 IS 350 F Sport yesterday and have been having the same issue with "iPod Error" appearing on the screen and music from my iPhone 5s via USB cable stopping. If I goto the media menu and select the iPhone as the audio device, playback picks up where it left off. I've also noticed that all Lexus Inform applications use only bluetooth for audio even when USB is connected.

Looking through the Navigation System Owner's Manual, page 200 has an info note that may explain this behavior. "An iPhone cannot be connected via Bluetooth and USB connection at the same time. however, it is possible to recharge an iPhone while using applications by connecting via USB. The system uses the connection method that was used last. Therefore, if connected via USB after Bluetooth connection, it is necessary to reconnect the iPhone via Bluetooth."

Reading this leads me to believe that the system is unable to maintain a USB connection for audio while maintaining a bluetooth connection for phone functions. I don't know the specifics of the software, but maybe the system periodically connects via bluetooth (for what reason I don't know). Just a guess as I have not tried operating with just an iPod connected via USB instead of the iPhone to see if the issue occurs. Seems that connecting via Bluetooth will be the best/only option in addition to using a 12v charger until Lexus fixes their software implementation.

Frustrating issue for this class of vehicle.

Edit: Additional note on page 358 of Navigation System Owner's Manual. "If an iPhone is connected via Bluetooth and USB at the same time, system operation may become unstable. For known phone compatibility information, refer to http://www.lexus.com/enform". I really wish there was a complete PDF of our manual instead of just sections on their website.

That's good information. I'm not too upset because this happens in my MDX also, but IMO its a horrible. My Fiesta ST can charge and play my iPhone at the same while still having Bluetooth. I would expect the same from these luxury automobiles.

Quick Reply: 2014 IS250 iPod Error