Bike hauling options

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-14, 03:11 PM
MileHighF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike hauling options

Hi everyone. First post here.

I bought my IS350 last November and have recently moved to Colorado. Since I'm getting deep into trail riding quickly I need a better solution for bike transport than inside the trunk.

I did some searching and it seems that there isn't a very comprehensive thread on this topic.

Here is what I understand so far:
  • Roof rack exists from Yakima/Whispbar with part #'s 50118 & 51323, however it requires drilling into the roof and I'm not ok with that. Like this :http://www.yakima.com/shop/baserack/flush-bar but with no drilling.
  • Plenty of universal trunk mount options, but no real feedback on quality/fitment/potential for damage.

Is anyone aware of a roof rack that simply clamps onto the roof edge but is shaped similar to the whisperbar? This would avoid any drilling. I know they exist, I just can't seem to track one down for the 2014 yet.

Does anyone have any reviews or suggestions for universal trunk racks (2-3 bikes)?

Thanks!

Last edited by MileHighF; 03-03-14 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-04-14, 01:29 PM
hades281
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have a bike rack on my IS, but here are a few thoughts:

1) If you go with a trunk mounted rack, I would buy clear-bra film and apply it to the trunk wherever it makes contact to protect your paint.

2) There is a 3rd option -- if you had a hitch receiver installed, and I'm not sure if there is one available for the IS - there is a bike rack that attaches to the hitch receiver. This would prevent having to use either the roof or the trunk for the bikes, but it's probably the most expensive option.

Example:
Old 03-04-14, 02:22 PM
jcheng
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There currently is no hitch mount available yet. I took off my rear bumper a few weeks back and could even find points where they would be able to mount...

I use a Saris Bones and mount the feet on the rear bumper and against rear glass.
Cut old tube and sandwich them between the metal and straps.
Old 03-05-14, 09:22 AM
sc00b
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i put my back seats down and put my bike in the back! just take off my front wheel and all is good !
Old 03-05-14, 09:55 AM
jcheng
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sc00b
i put my back seats down and put my bike in the back! just take off my front wheel and all is good !
I get lazy lol
Old 03-05-14, 10:00 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jcheng
There currently is no hitch mount available yet. I took off my rear bumper a few weeks back and could even find points where they would be able to mount...

I use a Saris Bones and mount the feet on the rear bumper and against rear glass.
I have Kurt hitch on my 2IS. They used the mounting points for exhaust system. Maybe you could check with them and see if they offer something for the 3IS.
Old 03-05-14, 05:16 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

There have been a few threads on this with no dice. There was one guy that did the whispbar setup that requires drilling in this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...r-the-3is.html

I emailed Yakima last week for the third time, still no ETA on an official fitting kit from them. Please update if you find something. I have to image they have a kit already that would work, its just a matter of finding it.
Old 03-08-14, 02:51 PM
MileHighF
Driver School Candidate

Ok I did some digging and it appears that the best option for a hard mount is the Thule with the aeroblades. They don't require any drilling and clamp to the upper edge of the doorframe with a flush looking aerodynamic mount. The only issue is they don't have the "mount kit" available yet. I talked to a few distributors and they said they expect it in the next few months.

I also found this other company making suction cup mounts called SeaSucker. Seems super cool and won't detract from the looks (or fuel economy) when you're not using it.
http://www.seasucker.com/shop/mini-bomber/

I may go this route, but the only kicker is it doesn't lock to the roof. I'd hate to go grab some food after riding and somebody pulls my pricey bikes off the roof by releasing the suction cups .

Edit: It looks like they thought of that - they make anchors that attach to the door frame or truck to run a cable lock for just that occasion. I might be picking this up.

Last edited by MileHighF; 03-08-14 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-08-14, 09:44 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sc00b
I agree, with bikes costing almost as much as the car I want it out of sight as much as possible.

Aloha,
Larry
Old 03-09-14, 05:33 AM
magne
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jcheng

On my EU version. (is 300h) i have a stock hitch mount from lexus. Hard to believe they are not avalible on the 250 or 350 in US. Probably just the US dealers that have found that they do not want to sell it because they do not think people need it.

In sweden, they sell the IS 250 and they have an option to ad a remvoable hitch mount. The part number for this hitch mount is PZ401C055400
Old 03-09-14, 09:10 AM
TarmacSL3
Intermediate

Received 245 Likes on 126 Posts

The Seasucker is a great option to go with, a couple of people I ride with have it and said they are happy. I just take my front wheel of and drop the rear seats, but this in my other car. Like @sc00b said I would hate to have to make a stop and some try to grab my Sworks SL3.
Old 03-09-14, 11:03 AM
IS350Chic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by magne
On my EU version. (is 300h) i have a stock hitch mount from lexus. Hard to believe they are not avalible on the 250 or 350 in US. Probably just the US dealers that have found that they do not want to sell it because they do not think people need it.

In sweden, they sell the IS 250 and they have an option to ad a remvoable hitch mount. The part number for this hitch mount is PZ401C055400
Any possible way you can add pictures of the hitch plus the mounting spots. Thanks.
Old 03-09-14, 02:01 PM
magne
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS350Chic
Any possible way you can add pictures of the hitch plus the mounting spots. Thanks.
I'll try to get under the car tomorrow, and see if i can get any usable pics. Don't know if the 250 has the same diffusor underneath as the 300h has.
Old 03-10-14, 07:08 AM
magne
Lead Lap

I've looked under the car.
It is very difficult to see anything as the diffusor and underside garnish nearly hides everything. It appears as if the towing hitch bar is attached to the same frame as the towing hook is attached to.

To see the clearly I have to remove the diffusor and the black plastick part of the rear bumper.

The towing hitch is marked "westfalia" so I belive this is the orginal manufacturer. And you have the lexus part number from the last post, so try to google it.
Maybe some US lexus dealer can do something with the partnumber and make a special order.

Otherwise, try the UK lexus homesite and look at the accesories to find the towing hook.
I believe it will fit the US version of the car when it fits the EU version of the 250.
Attached Thumbnails Bike hauling options-bilde0406.jpg   Bike hauling options-bilde0407.jpg   Bike hauling options-bilde0412.jpg  
Old 03-10-14, 09:12 PM
IS350Chic
Driver School Candidate

I have to get under my car and see if the rear looks like that. Thanks for the pics. ��

Quick Reply: Bike hauling options