IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Rock Chips

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-14, 09:50 PM
Hermes
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zabone
I did not opt for clear bra. The only thing I did do is Opti coat the entire car. This is just for easy washing and never having to wax the car.
Did you apply Opti Coat yourself, or have someone else put it on for you? What are your thoughts on it?
Old 06-15-14, 04:35 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Hermes
Did you apply Opti Coat yourself, or have someone else put it on for you? What are your thoughts on it?
i had opti-coat on my last car (a 2IS) and now i have cquartz finest on my 3IS and cquartz seems, thus far, to be the better product even just a few months into ownership.

opti-coat didn't last nearly as long as it was claimed to, nor did it have the initial brilliant shine that cquartz has now. i don't know how long cquartz will last either, although at least thus far, anyhow, it's started out with an amazingly deep gloss.

one thing about cquartz, though, is that while it provides for a much deeper gloss than opti-coat, it isn't as scratch resistant as opti-coat despite making claims on high scratch resistance. both are much more resistant than the factory clear coat, though.

opticoat is guaranteed for life, although i had to use the warranty as it both lost the little shine that it provided, growing dull, and wore down over time, thinning considerably, so they just placed more after wet sanding. cquartz is *purported* to wear down in the same manner, but without growing dull, and is guaranteed for two years.

they were both installed by authorised installers and of course neither will protect against damage done by rocks flying at your car.

Last edited by davyjordi; 06-15-14 at 04:40 AM.
Old 06-15-14, 08:58 AM
Kappy550
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the dealer put the bra on before I even took delivery of it. They did it free of charge too. Just gotta rough them around a bit when they try to charge you for it. Got free window tint too.
Old 06-16-14, 12:27 AM
Hermes
Intermediate

Originally Posted by davyjordi
i had opti-coat on my last car (a 2IS) and now i have cquartz finest on my 3IS and cquartz seems, thus far, to be the better product even just a few months into ownership.

opti-coat didn't last nearly as long as it was claimed to, nor did it have the initial brilliant shine that cquartz has now. i don't know how long cquartz will last either, although at least thus far, anyhow, it's started out with an amazingly deep gloss.

one thing about cquartz, though, is that while it provides for a much deeper gloss than opti-coat, it isn't as scratch resistant as opti-coat despite making claims on high scratch resistance. both are much more resistant than the factory clear coat, though.

opticoat is guaranteed for life, although i had to use the warranty as it both lost the little shine that it provided, growing dull, and wore down over time, thinning considerably, so they just placed more after wet sanding. cquartz is *purported* to wear down in the same manner, but without growing dull, and is guaranteed for two years.

they were both installed by authorised installers and of course neither will protect against damage done by rocks flying at your car.
I'll have to look into these. I have some friends in the detail business, and I'd get it done for virtually cost. I'll have to do some more research. Thanks for your input!
Old 06-16-14, 05:51 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Hermes
I'll have to look into these. I have some friends in the detail business, and I'd get it done for virtually cost. I'll have to do some more research. Thanks for your input!
no problem!
Old 06-16-14, 02:28 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

le sigh. . . Rock chips . . . the life of a daily . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I'm going to see if they'll clear bra my Aimgain bumper after I get it repainted lol
Old 06-16-14, 02:46 PM
HeMan26
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got full hood, bumper, full fender, and rockers ppf done. Just got opti-coat applied this weekend. I could have had less ppf installed but I'm planning on keeping the car till it breaks down; so I want the car looking nice and clean for as long as possible.

If you are planning on getting any coating done, do it asap. The longer you wait the more it's going to cost you. My car only had one imperfection that the detailer had to fix so my cost was lower. Also, the detailer was surprised on how perfect my paint was. Lexus does a good job at keeping the car protected during delivery.
Old 06-16-14, 03:00 PM
larry13
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by HeMan26
I got full hood, bumper, full fender, and rockers ppf done. Just got opti-coat applied this weekend. I could have had less ppf installed but I'm planning on keeping the car till it breaks down; so I want the car looking nice and clean for as long as possible. If you are planning on getting any coating done, do it asap. The longer you wait the more it's going to cost you. My car only had one imperfection that the detailer had to fix so my cost was lower. Also, the detailer was surprised on how perfect my paint was. Lexus does a good job at keeping the car protected during delivery.
who did your opticoat?