IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Rattle / High Pitch Noise Between 5.5k and 6.5k rpms?

Old 10-15-14, 12:34 PM
hades281
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was able to tell that the heater core P/N had changed by looking at Sewell's exploded views and part numbers. Unfortunately, we have no idea what about the heater core changed, if anything. That would also be the problem with the navigation system -- the P/N may show that the part is revised, but we wont know if it's just a software change or if the hardware had also changed. (Since there are improvements to Lexus Enform for 2015, there would probably be a revision change for that alone.)
Old 01-13-15, 11:28 AM
s2300gt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this same issue as well on my 07 is350. I have the F Sport intake so its likely not that for most people. One thing dawned on my today. This thread was started near the time Lexus started the safety recall for the cam gears. I've had mine replaced, has everyone else in this thread? I seem to remember it not happening before that work was done.

Thoughts?
Old 01-13-15, 02:15 PM
akovy
Driver School Candidate

Angry

I just got a new 2015 F Sport (34 Miles on it), and have a similar noise coming at 6,000 RPMs. Dealer has never had this type of noise reported to them, so they told me they are contacting Lexus tomorrow to see if this is something they have heard before. They also tested another brand new IS250 of their lot, and it had the same noise @6K RPMS...will keep you guys posted.
Old 01-13-15, 02:40 PM
s2300gt
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to hear that akovy, but please do let us know what you find out. It's hard to appreciate my new F Sport intake when I know if I rev it up its going to make a sound like I'm breaking something....
Old 01-13-15, 04:10 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still have this problem and dealers claim they're not able to duplicate same or that the car is operating as designed.

The car did not always make this noise and it's not normal therefore!

Very disappointed.
Old 01-13-15, 09:03 PM
s2300gt
Driver School Candidate

So it turns out for me the issue may have been something in the intake afterall. I installed the F Sport intake at the same time as installing a Cusco front strut bar, and had installed the bar with too much tension and it was slightly hitting the hood. I re-installed the bar and now I no longer have the rattle at 6k rpm. Its a crazy turn of events, but I know I had this issue before I did any mods recently. My friend commented on it while riding in my car.

My suspicion is that this can be caused by multiple things. The stock intake mostly. my $0.02, hopefully not causing more confusion.
Old 09-04-15, 07:58 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Any updates anyone?

Car going to the dealer Wednesday.

Would love to resolve this long overdue issue as well...

Thanks.
Old 09-09-15, 06:38 AM
hades281
Driver

Good luck dbs600. I hope your dealership works it out. I was able to demonstrate the noise to a technician, who confirmed hearing it and inspected my car thoroughly. They couldn't find anything obviously causing the noise... to investigate further they would have to start tearing the car apart to see if they could trace the sound.

If my car was a lease I would have let them do it. :/
Old 09-09-15, 02:39 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hades281
Good luck dbs600. I hope your dealership works it out. I was able to demonstrate the noise to a technician, who confirmed hearing it and inspected my car thoroughly. They couldn't find anything obviously causing the noise... to investigate further they would have to start tearing the car apart to see if they could trace the sound.

If my car was a lease I would have let them do it. :/
Thank you, hades281.

I reproduced the noise on a road test with the Service Manager.

Let's see what happens!

Will keep everyone posted.
Old 09-11-15, 09:44 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Got car back; exhaust pipe replaced; dealer stated road tested and confirmed fix by phone; same noise immediately apparent upon driving off dealer lot after pick up; couldn't return, as I had a schedule to keep; PISSED; invoice attached.

Prior to completion, foreman e-mailed "Metallic buzzing sound, Duplicated and isolated to mid section exhaust pipe which contains the sub-cats and resonator. area found specifically seems to be post sub cat and before resonator at the pipes cross point. i have the exhaust pipe on order will should be here tomorrow for the install under warranty coverage. This noise seems most prevalent when the car is cold during initial warm up. noise heard with door open is under the car, with the door closed the sound appears from lower r.f dash area, but in fact it is directly under the car."

Thoughts, comments?
Attached Thumbnails Rattle / High Pitch Noise Between 5.5k and 6.5k rpms?-2.jpeg   Rattle / High Pitch Noise Between 5.5k and 6.5k rpms?-3.jpeg  

Last edited by dbs600; 09-11-15 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-12-15, 06:33 AM
hades281
Driver

Hey dbs600

I wonder if the source of the noise is the catalytic converter on the passenger side (which is where we hear the sound), and the mechanics are hearing the noise echoing through the exhaust plumbing. That might account for their diagnosis and our feeling that the sounds comes from the FR corner of the car.

By far I think you're the closest to solving the problem - you've got a shop foreman who hears the noise and is working his way through the problem. He sounds good and interested in working it out, give him another shot. I bet they'll look very closely at the exhaust manifold/catalytic converter.

Don't quit now, you're so close!!!!!!

Stephen
Old 09-12-15, 08:41 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks, hades281, but I may be done with the arrogance of the service manager and advisors of the dealer. Too much to write, but disgusting. Shop foreman is fantastic however; should be promoted!

You may have nailed it though; catalytic converter it may be! By mentioning it, I just recalled that Land Rover had a similar issue in the past, and drilling screws into the converter to secure the insides solved it (non-official fix, obviously)!

http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetails/catalytic.html

Last edited by dbs600; 09-12-15 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-30-15, 02:42 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by dbs600
Thanks, hades281, but I may be done with the arrogance of the service manager and advisors of the dealer. Too much to write, but disgusting. Shop foreman is fantastic however; should be promoted!

You may have nailed it though; catalytic converter it may be! By mentioning it, I just recalled that Land Rover had a similar issue in the past, and drilling screws into the converter to secure the insides solved it (non-official fix, obviously)!

http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetails/catalytic.html
Any official fix for this yet? Just noticed this on a spirited commute to work and surprised me.
Old 01-02-17, 05:05 PM
hades281
Driver

Thread bump? I never figured out the source of this noise :-/
Old 01-03-17, 10:11 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

no idea still. It comes and goes, i've gotten used to it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rattle / High Pitch Noise Between 5.5k and 6.5k rpms?