IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS - Where do you place your phone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-15, 07:05 PM
waterchng
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's what I did for a magnetic mount. I start with a vent clip magnetic mount that I bought on eBay for $5.12 delivered. I removed the vent clips and was just left with the magnetic puck. Now it's just a matter of some double sided tape to place the puck on the center console as pictured.

Since I didn't have any double sided tape around, I used a round furniture felt pad (meant to stick to bottom of sofa/chair/table legs) that was just about the perfect size. I had to cut out the center section of the felt pad to accommodate the screw that holds the puck together; did this with an exacto knife. I also took a little butane torch and melted down the fibers of the felt pad to make them more solid making it easier to cut and a more solid surface for the super glue to attach to. Then I just super glued the felt pad to the magnetic puck. The puck is a tad larger than ideal for the location I imagined it would go but it works and doesn't impede loading discs or any of the buttons. And it obviously holds the phone in place like the rest of the magnetic holders in this thread. This works for me because it's pretty low profile in the grand scheme of things.

My phone is pretty big 5.5" OnePlus One but it fits in both vertical and landscape orientations. Total cost $5 plus cost of one felt pad (free for me) and some super glue.
Attached Thumbnails 3IS - Where do you place your phone?-_57-1-1280x831-.jpg   3IS - Where do you place your phone?-2015-07-13-18.25.45-hdr-1280x768-.jpg   3IS - Where do you place your phone?-2015-07-13-18.30.26-hdr-1280x768-.jpg   3IS - Where do you place your phone?-img_0856-1280x853-.jpg   3IS - Where do you place your phone?-img_0855-1280x853-.jpg  

Old 07-13-15, 08:45 PM
ModehcepeD
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Other people have said it already, but in my pocket.
Old 07-13-15, 08:50 PM
nslac
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phungy
Sorry it took me so long but here are a few to show you where and how it is held.
I have never seen this type of phone holder previously. I am not too keen on the ones with the suction cup that sticks to the windscreen.

In either case, I just ordered same as what you have from eBay .

Thanks for providing the photos.
Old 07-14-15, 06:48 PM
halfnyce07
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I leave it in the arm rest or on the passenger seat. I'm by myself 95% of the time in my car so I just toss it over on the passenger seat. I tend to forget it a lot of the time though lol
Old 07-14-15, 07:39 PM
Sexis350
Pole Position

I always thought the dash in front of the navi was built to store things like you phone and sun glasses? It is even sloped downward to pervent your items from sliding? Am i the only one that notices this ?
Old 07-14-15, 07:40 PM
Reppic27
Driver School Candidate

I usually put it in the cup holder when its plugged in. But when I don't need it. I put it right on the flat area before the screen. I have an iPhone 6, it is flat enough not to distract me, because I have a case on the phone, it doesn't move around unless I take a turn way to fast.
Old 07-14-15, 09:21 PM
hovik92
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The door handle is the only place that fits my iPhone 6+
Old 07-15-15, 03:20 PM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sexis350
I always thought the dash in front of the navi was built to store things like you phone and sun glasses? It is even sloped downward to pervent your items from sliding? Am i the only one that notices this ?
I've thought about it, but you might accidentally damage the navi screen with your phone, glasses or whatever you put on there, since the film is very delicate.
Old 07-15-15, 04:55 PM
Spamboi
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just recently I got an anti slip pad from my brother. set it under my screen. Other than that.. I placed it where the seat warmer buttons are..
Old 07-16-15, 11:05 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

lots of cool options here but armrest or cupholder while charging is best for me!
Old 07-18-15, 02:55 PM
EJ255t
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i usually place my phone in the cup holder, door handle, or the flat area near the nav screen.
Old 07-18-15, 05:32 PM
sdotk
Pole Position

I rest my iPhone 6 in between the sport **** and the arm rest. It doesn't fit so it's tilted but I find it doesn't move and makes it easily accessible to me
Old 07-18-15, 09:40 PM
awrecks
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jke00
Here's what I did for a magnetic mount. I start with a vent clip magnetic mount that I bought on eBay for $5.12 delivered. I removed the vent clips and was just left with the magnetic puck. Now it's just a matter of some double sided tape to place the puck on the center console as pictured.

Since I didn't have any double sided tape around, I used a round furniture felt pad (meant to stick to bottom of sofa/chair/table legs) that was just about the perfect size. I had to cut out the center section of the felt pad to accommodate the screw that holds the puck together; did this with an exacto knife. I also took a little butane torch and melted down the fibers of the felt pad to make them more solid making it easier to cut and a more solid surface for the super glue to attach to. Then I just super glued the felt pad to the magnetic puck. The puck is a tad larger than ideal for the location I imagined it would go but it works and doesn't impede loading discs or any of the buttons. And it obviously holds the phone in place like the rest of the magnetic holders in this thread. This works for me because it's pretty low profile in the grand scheme of things.

My phone is pretty big 5.5" OnePlus One but it fits in both vertical and landscape orientations. Total cost $5 plus cost of one felt pad (free for me) and some super glue.

What I do is flip open the navi SD card insert and I'll place my phone landscape or portrait where the heat/cool seat buttons are. The arm rest for the navi controls works as a block for the phone, so it helps it from sliding. (If you have an iPhone 6 or smaller, it'll fit right in and flipping open the SD card insert wouldn't be necessary, but the way it's angled causes viewing issues, so the navi SD card is helpful)

^^^^^^^However, the magnetic idea looks pretty good!
Old 07-19-15, 01:27 AM
travanx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jke00
Here's what I did for a magnetic mount. I start with a vent clip magnetic mount that I bought on eBay for $5.12 delivered. I removed the vent clips and was just left with the magnetic puck. Now it's just a matter of some double sided tape to place the puck on the center console as pictured..
Looking at the ebay postings. Did you need to put anything on the back of your phone to attach this?
Old 07-19-15, 01:52 PM
tomtendo
Driver School Candidate

I don't have a huge iPhone 6+ or a Samsung Note(I have the iPhone 6 a 4.7 inch display), so I can fit my phone really anywhere I want... In either cup holder, the side door in the cup-thingy on the arm rest, or sometimes, I put it on the dashboard where they Enform screen is – it doesn't alter my view of it.

Quick Reply: 3IS - Where do you place your phone?