IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Should I buy 350 sport 400 miles away

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-14, 07:11 AM
bp044
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy 350 sport 400 miles away

On the inventory site of six metro NY dealers the same 350 sport models appear. None of these dealers discount to any degree or have the color combinations I want
I checked the dealer inventory of several dealers a few hundred miles south of the New York/ N.J./ Conn. area and they have a large selection of colors combinations
Can someone tell me what is going on ?
Old 02-24-14, 08:05 AM
FSPORTJC
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just call the six metro NY dealers and see if they have the specific 350 you want, they may have the color combo you want. Dealers always discount in person being that you are an experienced car buyer.. If not pull up a TrueCar.com price on the 350 you want and bring it to anyone of its authorized dealers that will take the price no hassle. I got my car down $6k below sticker.. w/o truecar just straight negotiating because its all fun for me lol.
Old 02-24-14, 08:48 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Buy from where you can get the best deal. I have purchased a car as for away as 1,000 miles from where I live. Deal was too good to pass up. It was a Lexus sitting on the lot of an Audi dealership. They were very motivated to unload it. I know that does not relate to your dlimena (new car vs. pre-owned). But the bottom line is, if you can get what you want at the right price, it may be worth the drive. You'll enjoy the hell out of the 400 mile drive home!
Old 02-24-14, 08:49 AM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have found the dealer inventory to be not very accurate at all. Most of inventory that shows up shows pages and pages of cars but they are not on the dealer site, its almost like the inventory listed is for the whole region or something. The dealer I bought showed around 25 IS 250 on the website and they had like 6 actually at the dealer. So I don't know how they figure their inventory

Originally Posted by bp044
On the inventory site of six metro NY dealers the same 350 sport models appear. None of these dealers discount to any degree or have the color combinations I want
I checked the dealer inventory of several dealers a few hundred miles south of the New York/ N.J./ Conn. area and they have a large selection of colors combinations
Old 02-24-14, 10:28 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by toyotatom
I have found the dealer inventory to be not very accurate at all. Most of inventory that shows up shows pages and pages of cars but they are not on the dealer site, its almost like the inventory listed is for the whole region or something. The dealer I bought showed around 25 IS 250 on the website and they had like 6 actually at the dealer. So I don't know how they figure their inventory
I think the inventory includes vehicles allocated, but not yet at the dealer. These could be cars on the way, or not yet built. Sort of like a forecasting model.
Old 02-24-14, 02:20 PM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for that clarification. I knew they were not cars on site

Originally Posted by moose66
I think the inventory includes vehicles allocated, but not yet at the dealer. These could be cars on the way, or not yet built. Sort of like a forecasting model.
Old 02-24-14, 02:23 PM
steig
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FSPORTJC
Just call the six metro NY dealers and see if they have the specific 350 you want, they may have the color combo you want. Dealers always discount in person being that you are an experienced car buyer.. If not pull up a TrueCar.com price on the 350 you want and bring it to anyone of its authorized dealers that will take the price no hassle. I got my car down $6k below sticker.. w/o truecar just straight negotiating because its all fun for me lol.
6K below sticker, wow thats a great deal. Can't even get dealer around me to sell at invoice.
Old 02-24-14, 08:31 PM
WiLz
Driver

Originally Posted by toyotatom
Thanks for that clarification. I knew they were not cars on site
From what I could tell, the website inventory does seem to just show vehicles in the region, not at the specific dealer. And it may also include cars on the way to the dealerships.

When I was searching for an Ultra White, I started to notice that dealerships near each other showed what appeared to be the same 5 cars on the online inventory, with the exact same MSRPs. And when I visited or called the dealers, none of them actually had those cars. Each dealership had at most 1 Ultra White; most had none, but told me they had 1 or 2 coming in that week. This was the case for at least 5-7 dealerships within a 50 mile radius. If I went far enough beyond the radius, the online inventory would change though, but it was still never accurate.
Old 02-25-14, 08:11 AM
bp044
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by WiLz
From what I could tell, the website inventory does seem to just show vehicles in the region, not at the specific dealer. And it may also include cars on the way to the dealerships.

When I was searching for an Ultra White, I started to notice that dealerships near each other showed what appeared to be the same 5 cars on the online inventory, with the exact same MSRPs. And when I visited or called the dealers, none of them actually had those cars. Each dealership had at most 1 Ultra White; most had none, but told me they had 1 or 2 coming in that week. This was the case for at least 5-7 dealerships within a 50 mile radius. If I went far enough beyond the radius, the online inventory would change though, but it was still never accurate.
That was my experience as well. All dealers in the NY metro area within a 60 mile radius had the exact same inventory of the 350 sport , colors, options and MRSP. None of which I wanted
Can anyone explain this ?
Old 02-25-14, 09:53 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

That was my experience as well. All dealers in the NY metro area within a 60 mile radius had the exact same inventory of the 350 sport , colors, options and MRSP. None of which I wanted
Could be one of several things. One of which being they are all on the same dealer network (unlikely). More likely is that they all have the same distributor (the middle man so to say). The corporate arm responsible for the distribution of the vehicles.
Old 02-25-14, 04:35 PM
WiLz
Driver

I think Lexus just doesn't have a very good online inventory system. I know that Chevrolet and Ford both give you actual VIN numbers and window stickers of cars in their inventory, and are much more accurate (though still not 100%). I ended up checking with each dealer individually, either through phone call or internet sales department to see if they had the color combination I wanted, then tried to negotiate a deal in writing (e-mail) before actually visiting the dealers.
Old 03-03-14, 11:36 AM
bp044
Driver School Candidate

It looks now that I will have to go 2000 to 3000 miles to find a 350F sport RWD. I phoned several dealers in the Maryland and Virginia area. No luck on a rear wheel drive.
A large New Jersey dealer offered to flat bed a RWD from Texas or California but since it is out of another dealers stock it makes no sense for either of us. It's fortunate for Lexus that they can be so rigid and independent in the sale of these cars. As for me, as much as I wanted this car, I will have to go to the competition
Old 03-03-14, 11:44 AM
profet
Rookie

Lexus is only sending dealers 350 F-Sports with AWD, navigation and BSM.

You won't find a different configuration at any dealer in NY, NJ, or CT.
Old 03-03-14, 02:09 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

I would had said to go for the best deal if it were 400 miles away, but 2000-3000 miles... hmmm you have to factor in a week time off, lodging and food expenses, and on your way back, have to coordinate the servicing of your vehicle at 1000 miles (complimentary oil change, general inspection, and any customized settings). Good luck.
Old 03-03-14, 02:10 PM
Jump2man3
Lexus Test Driver

IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT! And from the sounds of things it may be. Give it a shot. See if you can get a gas card for the fill up heading home too :-P

Quick Reply: Should I buy 350 sport 400 miles away