IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Keep my 3IS 350 or lease fully loaded BMW 335i

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-14, 11:07 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep my 3IS 350 or lease fully loaded BMW 335i

Gentlemen, here is my story. I visited my local bmw dealership and they offered me a pretty good deal leasing '14 bmw 335i in M Sport Trim. As a matter of fact I sat down with them and custom ordered it. MSRP is $59,750. As you can see this bimmer is fully loaded. I recall checking all the boxes. It will have driver assistance features, HUD, luxury package, full leather, adaptive suspension, Harman Kardon etc. I negotiated down the price to the point where 36 months with 15K per year lease came out to be $680/month. This is less than I pay for my 3IS. I know that most of you would say that it is because I purchased the Lexus so the lease would be a lot lower and I would agree with that. The thing is I only keep my cars around three years.

Now here comes the contradiction to my ubiquitous and sometimes illogical (this time it looks more logical though) preference German sedans over Japanese counterparts. After I custom ordered 335i and made a deposit (refundable in CA) I decided to test drive the bimmer just for sake of it. The bimmer was closer to the specs that I ordered (M Sport, adaptive suspension, RWD etc) and I liked it a lot. Tons of sweet torque and most importantly the power comes very early. Then something unbelievable happened. When I sat back to my car and started driving it home I decided to take some twisty roads. Damn.... I enjoyed driving so much my lexus and I started appreciating it a lot more after I drove bimmer. Even though 3IS does not have that much torque but it has that planted feeling with very little body roll that makes driving hard so much fun. And the power after 4-5K RPM is awesome in lexus. The intake sound coupled with F-Sport exhaust and all that oh my now I am really confused. Oh yeah almost forgot, these super soft and comfy F-Sport seats. Nothing like that in competition. This is in my mind the most comfortable seats ever. Sooooo soft and comfy.

Anyway, I am just completely perplexed now. If I just put the F-Sport or Greddy intake and hope that my luster toward german sedans would go away. Please help to cure my addiction
Old 02-24-14, 12:18 AM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

I would lease the BMW first. Then after one-or-two leases, i'd buy the new IS350 or whatever is better in the future.
Old 02-24-14, 05:24 AM
gvan1998
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You already special ordered the bummer why are you asking us. It looks like you already made up your decision.
Old 02-24-14, 05:28 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Good choice for a lease with plenty of options too.
Old 02-24-14, 05:39 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't forget to add cost of lexus depreciation to monthly lease cost or somewhere else but do factor that in cuz it's there -- you'll lose a ton!

Last edited by Glashub; 02-24-14 at 07:19 AM.
Old 02-24-14, 06:26 AM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm currently leasing a 2013 335i Xdrive with M-Sport package, almost fully loaded (it's my wife's daily driver). I'm in the market for a 2014 IS350 F-Sport.
I drove the 335 extensively and in all possible ways and tested everything in it. My initial impression stand as they were in summer 2013. I think if you read this thread I started you will have a good idea of my impression of both. I test drove the IS again last week and my initial impressions were right.

To summarize, the two big advantages of the Bimmer over the Lexus are

1) Engine : Power output is downright scary on the Bimmer. You get almost full power and full torque at around 2000rpm.
2) Steering response : even in Sport mode (with DHP) the Bimmer feels somewhat heavier and less agile than the IS. And that's something you seem to agree with.

In general I'd say the Bimmer is more of a beast than the Lexus. I just wish Lexus had a newer engine.
Old 02-24-14, 07:14 AM
FSPORTJC
Pole Position

I traded in my 2013 BMW F30 MSport package (ultra modded to the nines) that I bought last March for my 2 week old 3iS FSport Ultra White on Red. I could not be any happier!! I was interested in both cars at the time I bought the BMW but was not patient to wait til the FSport was released.. Once it was I surely was feening for it lol. The styling on the FSport is much more of my liking and there is no other car that looks like it.. the interior and drive quality blow away the BMW. I really embrace the FSport look so I will be lowering on coils, intake upgrade and that is all.

Here are some shots of my F30 and FSport:

Last edited by FSPORTJC; 02-24-14 at 07:18 AM.
Old 02-24-14, 07:21 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

You do take pretty pictures, FSPORTJC
Old 02-24-14, 07:43 AM
FSPORTJC
Pole Position

Arrow

Originally Posted by Glashub
You do take pretty pictures, FSPORTJC
Thank you, I appreciate it!
However all the credit goes to the State of Florida for the beautiful scenary
Old 02-24-14, 08:15 AM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i had the same reaction. I was really dissapointed with the F30. The Msport is the only one that should be entertained. The non Msport is just sad in this generation. The transmission is the deciding factor between these two (automatics). i took both cars hard here in the canyons and the IS was much more agile through every turn and exited out of the corners like driving a manual thanks to the gear locking. Unless youre in manual mode, the bimmer tends to shift at awkward moments in the canyons. The auto mode is sport+ in the IS is incredibly intelligent.

If you're a commuter only and need something to get you to work a few minutes faster, not saying that you wouldnt enjoy getting to work in the IS, but the bimmer fits this bill.
If you're ever going to let loose on a canyon or a track the IS is the winner. A few more ponies would have been nice...
Old 02-24-14, 08:22 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

You need to sit down and do the math properly. Although the payment will be lower, what it will cost you to make the switch will be hidden in the details. I can tell you it will cost you a ton of cash.
Old 02-24-14, 08:38 AM
FSPORTJC
Pole Position

Arrow

Originally Posted by mrraider
You need to sit down and do the math properly. Although the payment will be lower, what it will cost you to make the switch will be hidden in the details. I can tell you it will cost you a ton of cash.
^ Precisely!!!
I wouldn't do it.. and you will end up missing your is350 FSport.
Old 02-24-14, 09:37 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gvan1998
You already special ordered the bummer why are you asking us. It looks like you already made up your decision.
In California you can always back out and deposit is refundable 100%. I know the dealers don't like it but in theory the customer has the choice.
Old 02-24-14, 09:55 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mrraider
It is not all about money. I already knew that I will lose tons of money trading 3IS (I am thinking maybe selling it myself rather than trading it?).

It is mostly about that feeling that the car is the right car for me and I wont be drooling over other cars while driving mine. I was driving my C7 A6 for about three years and I was very satisfied with it. I am looking for regaining back that feeling.

Now after I test drove pretty extensively 335i I just got myself into a limbo zone. I started liking more and more my lexus. I even started to appreciate NA engines. I learned the key with NA engines is to keep RPM high and the reward is inevitable And yeah lexus does have better interior even though it has less space. In lexus I have a feeling that I am in a cockpit with these soft and comfy seats hugging me while looking at futuristic LFA inspired gage cluster
Old 02-24-14, 09:57 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Will you part out your F-sport exhaust?

Quick Reply: Keep my 3IS 350 or lease fully loaded BMW 335i