IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Interior Detailing Products/Solutions

Old 02-23-14, 04:23 PM
Ang89
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3IS Interior Detailing Products/Solutions

Hey guys,

Let me start by saying I'm abnormally OCD, and now that I have a brand new car, I'd like to keep it looking as pristine as possible.

I've gathered tips and product suggestions for exterior car washing and detailing, but how about interior detailing? I'm talking about the center console area of the car. Whatever that material is, it's really fine and will show hairline scratches and mattify. Any tips or product suggestions to keep the inside shiny and smooth?

Also, regarding the plastic textured panels used for the dash, bottom of the seats, sides of the door: which products have you used would suggest to fix/eliminate white marks/scratches?

Thank you to everyone who shares their two cents
Old 02-23-14, 05:26 PM
RedVelLex
Driver School Candidate

I usually order my products from detailedimage.com
They have different blogs on there and detailing guides for your vehicle. If your looking for a product to clean the leather, I usually use this cleaner called Lexol. Leaves the surface with a nice nongreasy finish. For the dash, console, panels, cup holders and etc, I use Meguiars Quik Interior Retailer. You'll have really good results. I'm OCD about my car as well. �� ��
Old 02-23-14, 05:42 PM
Lost808
Pole Position

Hands down 1einszett cockpit premium is the best for the interior IMO. That, or 303 Aerospace as it cleans awesome and has sunscreen in it. I have been using both for years on all of my cars. I also put silicone or gummi pflege on all the rubber seals on the doors, trunk, window shrouds (surrounds), engine, ect..... Helps keep them pliable and soft.
Old 02-23-14, 06:08 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Whatever you use on the inside, be careful not to rub hard on the dash. See https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...heir-dash.html
Old 02-23-14, 06:16 PM
Rsnic
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lost808
Hands down 1einszett cockpit premium is the best for the interior IMO. That, or 303 Aerospace as it cleans awesome and has sunscreen in it. I have been using both for years on all of my cars. I also put silicone or gummi pflege on all the rubber seals on the doors, trunk, window shrouds (surrounds), engine, ect..... Helps keep them pliable and soft.
Totally agree with the 1einszett cockpit premium that stuff has been great, leaves everything with a nice matte finish that isn't greasy. I've been using in on the nuluxe seats and dashboard with great results. I just bought a small bottle to 303 aerospace because i've only hear good things about it.

Head over to the automotive care and detailing forum under the special interest section, there are a lot of professional detailers that can give you a lot of great suggestions.
Old 02-23-14, 06:24 PM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have an F-Sport then you don't have leather so please be sure not to use leather cleaner/conditioner on your NuLuxe seats. It "might" not hurt anything but I suspect it will be greasy as the NuLuxe (vinyl) probably won't absorb much of anything.

I personally use the Chemical Guys InnerClean on my entire interior (except the windows, of course). It smells nice, and doesn't leave residue. It works very well on the NuLuxe seats.

Originally Posted by RedVelLex
I usually order my products from detailedimage.com
They have different blogs on there and detailing guides for your vehicle. If your looking for a product to clean the leather, I usually use this cleaner called Lexol. Leaves the surface with a nice nongreasy finish. For the dash, console, panels, cup holders and etc, I use Meguiars Quik Interior Retailer. You'll have really good results. I'm OCD about my car as well. �� ��
Old 02-23-14, 07:06 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Rsnic
Totally agree with the 1einszett cockpit premium that stuff has been great, leaves everything with a nice matte finish that isn't greasy. I've been using in on the nuluxe seats and dashboard with great results.
If you have some pics to share, would be much appreciated.
Old 02-23-14, 07:29 PM
Rsnic
Rookie

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
If you have some pics to share, would be much appreciated.
yeah, I'll take some pictures and put them up tomorrow, while everything is still looking good. Once this snow hits NY wednesday I'm afraid everything is gonna go back to being covered in salt and sand.
Old 02-23-14, 08:05 PM
Ang89
Driver School Candidate

Totally agree with the 1einszett cockpit premium that stuff has been great, leaves everything with a nice matte finish that isn't greasy. I've been using in on the nuluxe seats and dashboard with great results. I just bought a small bottle to 303 aerospace because i've only hear good things about it.

Head over to the automotive care and detailing forum under the special interest section, there are a lot of professional detailers that can give you a lot of great suggestions.
Thank you for that! I didn't see that part of the forum...very, very helpful.

Here's something random: Will proper care/detailing using a sealant and/or wax eliminate the need for using car cover in cold/wet weather and scorching hot weather? I've been looking into investing in a coverking car cover, mainly because I'm moving into an apartment with no garage, and my job doesn't have any overhead covering, leaving my car to be exposed.
Old 02-23-14, 08:30 PM
Rsnic
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ang89

Here's something random: Will proper care/detailing using a sealant and/or wax eliminate the need for using car cover in cold/wet weather and scorching hot weather? I've been looking into investing in a coverking car cover, mainly because I'm moving into an apartment with no garage, and my job doesn't have any overhead covering, leaving my car to be exposed.
i'd personally avoid the car covers, mainly because if there is dirt and dust on your cars paint every time you take it on and off you are dragging that dirt all over your paint.

If its your daily driver and left outside all the time i'd recommend for the interior stuff like 303 aerospace which has has high UV protection in it which will prevent UV fade. As for the exterior i would apply a permanent paint coating like opti coat pro which i have on my car, its put on by a professional detailer and is marketed to have UV protection.
Old 02-23-14, 08:41 PM
Lost808
Pole Position

I use a nylon fitted dust cover on my Z when I leave for a long time. My cars are parked in a garage, but still put a dust cover if left for a while. Covers are totally fine to use IF you stick to a few rules. Always wash your cars right before putting on the cover, remove them by rolling them up from the sides then front to back ensuring it is inside out, install in opposite order, never drag the cover across the paint to get in position, and make sure you have a high grade fitted cover with a soft interior like micro fiber.

Before I put my cover on, I always make sure I have a fresh clay bar done and apply SONAX Polymer Net Shield.
Old 02-24-14, 06:21 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ang89

You may also try to look into car coating such as Opti-coat Pro/Opti-coat 2.0 or Cquartz Finest/Cquartz UK edition/Cquartz. They claim they are more durable than sealant and waxes and are more resistant to environment. The durability can be as many as 5+ years for Opti-coat products and 2+ years for Cquartz.

But from what I have read, water spots are something to watch for those car coating but there seems to be some solution. Also for DIY, it requires a lot of preparation time prior to the coating application.

Don't use car cover -- just as someone said, it will mar the paint if the car is not clean and you drag the cover on and off --- usually the car cover has a snug fit. So paint imperfection will develop over time.

For interior detailing --- I use a combination of products including Zymol Vinyl, Zymol Treat (for leather only), and Jeff Werkstat Satin Pro.

Last edited by AndyL; 02-24-14 at 06:26 AM.
Old 02-24-14, 09:22 AM
abcsoup
Driver

Another upvote for cockpit premium. Works great with a microfiber on pretty much all surfaces in my F-Sport. It also has a light, fresh scent that does not linger.