Shark Fin Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-14, 01:09 PM
turbulence
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shark Fin Replacement

A couple of questions:
1) Is the antenna one piece, or can I replace just the shark fin shell?
2) How do I remove the antenna? Is the process the same as on gen 2s?

Why?

While the wife was backing out of the garage, our 5-year old hit the garage door button and the door came down on the antenna. It just cracked it, but the radio still works, so that's why I'm wondering if I can just replace the shell, or if it's all one piece.

Thanks!
Old 02-20-14, 02:49 PM
sunnyx213
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by turbulence
A couple of questions:

Why?

While the wife was backing out of the garage, our 5-year old hit the garage door button and the door came down on the antenna. It just cracked it, but the radio still works, so that's why I'm wondering if I can just replace the shell, or if it's all one piece.

Thanks!
http://is.sewellparts.com/oem-catalo...S250-2014.html
Old 02-24-14, 05:23 AM
turbulence
Driver School Candidate

Sunny, thanks!
Old 02-24-14, 05:41 AM
xpandabl3
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The cover can be removed as seen on the sewell link. The antenna is bolted down from the inside of the car and there are no adhesive or anything attaching it to the roof.

To remove, simply remove the rear passenger dome light unit by pulling it down then you will see the bolt. The shark fin antenna is for the Lexus Enform/Telephon service.
Old 02-24-14, 07:45 AM
FSPORTJC
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch.. at least it was only the fin!
Kids
Old 02-24-14, 08:51 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No sensors to send the door back up if someone, or something is heading in or out of the garage? Yikes. Hell of a safety hazard. I guess the good and bad thing is that it was only the fin!
Old 06-02-15, 08:12 PM
nslac
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turbulence
A couple of questions:

Why?

Thanks!
Sorry to open an old thread but I was wondering if you ever got around to removing your antenna ?
Old 06-03-15, 05:18 AM
Stero87
Rookie

Originally Posted by nslac
Sorry to open an old thread but I was wondering if you ever got around to removing your antenna ?
LOL you'll probably have better luck if you sent the person a PM...the original poster isn't gonna see this unless they're subscribed to this thread or they're active in the forum today
Old 06-03-15, 07:16 PM
nslac
Rookie

Originally Posted by Stero87
LOL you'll probably have better luck if you sent the person a PM...the original poster isn't gonna see this unless they're subscribed to this thread or they're active in the forum today
Just thought I'd try my luck . I am trying to get my roof wrapped and freaking no one wants to touch it unless I remove the antenna for them.

My IS is literally 3 days old so I don't want to damage anything. The forum search is providing mixed results on what steps are required.
Old 06-03-15, 07:36 PM
cp2
Racer

Received 326 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by nslac
Just thought I'd try my luck . I am trying to get my roof wrapped and freaking no one wants to touch it unless I remove the antenna for them.

My IS is literally 3 days old so I don't want to damage anything. The forum search is providing mixed results on what steps are required.
the reason why they don't want to touch it is because it's a b!+ch to remove and if they break it, they have to pay for it. it helps to have another set of hands to remove it. heat gun, plastic removal tools and a lot of patience.
Old 06-03-15, 10:13 PM
nslac
Rookie

Originally Posted by cp2
the reason why they don't want to touch it is because it's a b!+ch to remove and if they break it, they have to pay for it. it helps to have another set of hands to remove it. heat gun, plastic removal tools and a lot of patience.
It surprises me a bit that there is hardly any information available considering so many 3IS owners have their roof wrapped in this forum.

The company that usually does wrapping for us reckons I can get to the antenna bolt/screw by removing the rear dome light (provided I have small hands lol).

After going through couple of threads, it looks like people are removing the rear pillar covers and partially removing the roof lining to get to the antenna bolt.

I've had bad experience with roof lining in the past so I don't want to touch it (in my previous car it sagged over time).