IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Bell Lexus North Scottsdale Damaged My Car

Old 02-15-14, 05:14 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Bell Lexus North Scottsdale Damaged My Car

Took my car in for it's first maintenance at 5000 miles. Picked up my car and immediately noticed what I thought was a smudge on the windshield from a poor wash job, but as I drove away I realized it was much more... they had seriously scratched the CRAP out of my windshield! It was perfect when I dropped it off. I have inspected the rest of the car and luckily the damage is limited to the windshield.

The service adviser took the car back and they tried some rubbing compound but that did not fix it. It was late on Friday and staff was limited. I was offered a loaner car for the weekend or I could bring it back on Monday. I'll be taking it back on Monday.

I am just devastated. I do everything I can to protect my car and keep it out of harm's way. I feel so violated. I have no idea how this happened or what they could have possibly done.

It appears that the dealer will take care of it - whatever that means. At this point I think it needs to be a new windshield, as the scratches are all over the whole windshield and I think they'll do that without me having to ask. The thing is I don't really want a new windshield, I want a new car. I know that's silly, but I don't think there's anything that fits like the original windshield, and replacements won't have the Lexus logo & information on it. I feel like the car is ruined now.

Should I just take a new windshield and be happy?

They are hard to show up in photos, but you can still see what I'm talking about:

Old 02-15-14, 05:28 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did they damage it? I doubt you'll get a new car. If they are replacing your windshield ask that they replace with Lexus replacement part not aftermarket windshield.

You could also try polishing it.
Old 02-15-14, 05:31 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Originally Posted by SonyHome
How did they damage it? I doubt you'll get a new car. If they are replacing your windshield ask that they replace with Lexus replacement part not aftermarket windshield.

You could also try polishing it.
I know I won't get a new car. I just feel that it's ruined now, and nothing will replace that feeling but a new car. I know that it would be unreasonable to ask or demand that.

They will probably try to polish it, but it will have to be perfect. I'm hyper vigilant, and I will notice and dwell on any flaw if it's not perfect.
Old 02-15-14, 05:38 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

No owner wants to see any damage to their new car (baby, like the commercial, LOL!). It's unfortunate this happened and hopefully it will get resolved to your satisfaction. Good luck!
Old 02-15-14, 05:57 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Wait till I8ABMR sees this thread hah

His ordeal:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...hoenix-az.html
Old 02-15-14, 06:22 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Man, really sorry this happened to you but you need to relax a little bit. Are you seriously think that you should get a new car because they scratched your windshield? I know you love your car and paid lot of money for it but you need to be reasonable. Stuffs like this happened all the times and that is why we ALWAYS insisted that they DO NOT wash our cars after they done with the services.
Anyhow, i dont think they will be able to polish the windhield to the original condition. Make sure you uninspected it carefully and insist that they replace the windshield with Lexus OEM glass (and also replace all the clips and out moulds/trims).
good luck and hope they resolve to your full sastifaction.
Old 02-15-14, 07:25 PM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hard to believe they could do this much damage to glass washing the car, I know you said you think the rest of the car is ok, but that's hard to believe that the paint does not have a lot of swirl marks on it. Swirl marks on paint are not as easy to see as glass is. I would bring the car somewhere that polishes cars and have them check it out, they should have a special light that shows swirl marks very easily.
When it's done and over Im thinking you will end up with a new windshield, polishing glass is tricky at best. If you take your car to get inspected , they should be able to tell you.
I wouldn't feel bad about a new windshield, if a rock or something hit you would have to replace it anyway.
At least the dealer owned up to the issue, that doesn't always happen. Good luck
Old 02-16-14, 12:12 AM
Ang89
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry--I feel your pain. I'm going to my dealer Tuesday, after some IDIOT scratched several interior components of my car. Seems like you really baby your car--as you SHOULD. I've learned my lesson...always SUPERVISE and take the car in on your day off, or take the day off. It should never come to this, but there really are some stupid, common-sense lacking people out here. Try to see if they can do everything they can without replacing the windshield. Again, I feel your pain and I hope the dealer can resolve this.
Old 02-16-14, 10:09 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by azmojo
The thing is I don't really want a new windshield, I want a new car. I know that's silly, but I don't think there's anything that fits like the original windshield, and replacements won't have the Lexus logo & information on it. I feel like the car is ruined now.
If they replace it with an OEM Lexus windshield, it will say Lexus on it. Of course, it might or might not be the same depending on how it's installed -- probably it's not going to be the same because it's going to be installed as quickly as possible.

Don't complain too much though, you might get banned from the dealership like this guy complaining about damages to his windshield from the same dealership lol https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...hoenix-az.html
Old 02-16-14, 11:15 AM
azmojo
Instructor

Has anyone here actually received a replacement OEM Lexus windshield? With my previous Lexus I inquired about a new windshield at the (same) dealer and was told that they just use Safelite (3rd party). I am betting that's what they'll try to do. I need to know for sure that an OEM windshield is available before I can insist on it.
Old 02-16-14, 11:43 AM
sprinter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This sucks but it's not the end of the world. My Xterra was at the dealer to get warranty work done on one of the wiper motors 3 years into it's life. The mechanic working on it dropped a tool on the windshield and cracked it. The dealer phoned my up that day and made arrangements to fix it. 12 years later it's as good as new.
Old 02-16-14, 12:00 PM
jcoon350
Driver School Candidate

I know I won't get a new car. I just feel that it's ruined now, and nothing will replace that feeling but a new car. I know that it would be unreasonable to ask or demand that.

They will probably try to polish it, but it will have to be perfect. I'm hyper vigilant, and I will notice and dwell on any flaw if it's not perfect.

You sound a lot like me.... "it's ruined now". I'm super vigilant about my car too.. bad habit that I can't break. I'm sorry this tragedy has happened to you
Old 02-16-14, 12:01 PM
Silec
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone here actually received a replacement OEM Lexus windshield? With my previous Lexus I inquired about a new windshield at the (same) dealer and was told that they just use Safelite (3rd party). I am betting that's what they'll try to do. I need to know for sure that an OEM windshield is available before I can insist on it.
I had my windshield replaced 3 times by Safelite and they were all OEM LEXUS windshields. Everything was paid by my insurance (allstate), you just have to request for it.
Old 02-16-14, 02:13 PM
azmojo
Instructor

They had the Lexus logo? I had mine replaced on my previous Lexus by Safelite and it did not have the Lexus logo. Is that because I did not request the OEM glass?
Old 02-16-14, 09:01 PM
Silec
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They had the Lexus logo? I had mine replaced on my previous Lexus by Safelite and it did not have the Lexus logo. Is that because I did not request the OEM glass?
Yes it had the Lexus logo on the glass. They also gave me an invoice with the part number from the dealer that they got the windshield from.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bell Lexus North Scottsdale Damaged My Car