IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Volk TE37RT - Angry Panda

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-14, 08:16 AM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What surprises me is that 18x10+39 hit the front upper control arm, with that high offset u should have cleared that easily. What size tire did you use in the front?
Old 02-17-14, 08:34 AM
jaznraz
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI - the front tire is hitting the knuckle (aluminum), not the upper control arm (black).

I tried some 18x9.5+45 wheels with 265/35/18 tires (off my previous STI), and I had the same issue. I had to space the wheels out 7mm to provide clearance between the tire and knuckle.
Old 02-17-14, 08:41 AM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by juvi22003
What surprises me is that 18x10+39 hit the front upper control arm, with that high offset u should have cleared that easily. What size tire did you use in the front?
It's positive offset not negative. If it was -39 it would cleared uber easy and i would have a massive lip and i cant imagine how much that would of stuck out of the car...couple inches at least. This is positive 39 so the hub of the rim is closer to the fender than the suspension and a lot more of the rim is behind the rotor/brakes. +35 wouldve been fine but it wouldve sticked too far for my liking at that point. =/ This offset wouldve been fine if it was a 9 or 9.5 inch width...

so im standing there when they take the volk out of the box and place it onto the hub just to make sure it fits before they start mounting the tires and all you hear is a CLUNK....then they look at me. then they try it again...CLUNK. then they look at me again and im like....****. hahaha...so with a 5mm spacer it cleared just fine.

the 265/35 R1R i was going to use were so much meatier than i anticipated so they couldnt fit in the front. they had to use the stock 255/35s from the stock rear rims for the fronts and stretched the hell out of them. Even though its only one size of a difference, these R1R track tires and so much wider! currently figuring out what R1Rs will fit the front...maybe 235/245...we'll see.
Old 02-17-14, 08:44 AM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jaznraz
FYI - the front tire is hitting the knuckle (aluminum), not the upper control arm (black).

I tried some 18x9.5+45 wheels with 265/35/18 tires (off my previous STI), and I had the same issue. I had to space the wheels out 7mm to provide clearance between the tire and knuckle.
KNUCKLE!!! it was driving me a little nuts not being sure of what that part of the car was called. I think your STI wheels wouldve been fine had the positive offset been a little lower right? Do you know if any company in the past making after marker knuckles for people who want to clear a wider rim? maybe i can reach out to them for a possible R&D...
Old 02-17-14, 08:49 AM
Jump2man3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks so sick man! Love the wheels choice and COLOR!
Old 02-17-14, 09:17 AM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jump2man3
Looks so sick man! Love the wheels choice and COLOR!
thanks man!! loving the combo...more to come!
Old 02-17-14, 09:42 AM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by r0shiro
It's positive offset not negative. If it was -39 it would cleared uber easy and i would have a massive lip and i cant imagine how much that would of stuck out of the car...couple inches at least. This is positive 39 so the hub of the rim is closer to the fender than the suspension and a lot more of the rim is behind the rotor/brakes. +35 wouldve been fine but it wouldve sticked too far for my liking at that point. =/ This offset wouldve been fine if it was a 9 or 9.5 inch width...

so im standing there when they take the volk out of the box and place it onto the hub just to make sure it fits before they start mounting the tires and all you hear is a CLUNK....then they look at me. then they try it again...CLUNK. then they look at me again and im like....****. hahaha...so with a 5mm spacer it cleared just fine.

the 265/35 R1R i was going to use were so much meatier than i anticipated so they couldnt fit in the front. they had to use the stock 255/35s from the stock rear rims for the fronts and stretched the hell out of them. Even though its only one size of a difference, these R1R track tires and so much wider! currently figuring out what R1Rs will fit the front...maybe 235/245...we'll see.
I do understand the whole offset thing, i been through many wheels just thinking with that spec u would have cleared it easily. I might have to try this on my own....and yeah i would have went with the 235 upfront.
Old 02-17-14, 09:46 AM
jaznraz
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by r0shiro
KNUCKLE!!! it was driving me a little nuts not being sure of what that part of the car was called. I think your STI wheels wouldve been fine had the positive offset been a little lower right? Do you know if any company in the past making after marker knuckles for people who want to clear a wider rim? maybe i can reach out to them for a possible R&D...
Yes, the auto industry calls it a knuckle, but the motorsports industry usually calls it an upright. ???

Correct, a lower offset would have pushed the tire further away from the knuckle. I would have needed an 18x9.5+38 wheel instead of a +45 to fit.

I would be shocked if anyone got in the market of making aftermarket knuckles for our cars. It's a major endeavor and I don't think the demand (and quantities) would be enough to make it profitable. I work for a company that specializes in designing and building machining fixtures for the auto industry (including suspension components) and that portion of the manufacturing process is massive, not to mention engineering, casting, inspection, R&D, quality control, and the liability that goes along with it.

Last edited by jaznraz; 02-17-14 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-17-14, 09:51 AM
lomein
Driver School Candidate

SICK!! absolute perfect choice!
Old 02-17-14, 11:33 AM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jaznraz
Yes, the auto industry calls it a knuckle, but the motorsports industry usually calls it an upright. ???

Correct, a lower offset would have pushed the tire further away from the knuckle. I would have needed an 18x9.5+38 wheel instead of a +45 to fit.

I would be shocked if anyone got in the market of making aftermarket knuckles for our cars. It's a major endeavor and I don't think the demand (and quantities) would be enough to make it profitable. I work for a company that specializes in designing and building machining fixtures for the auto industry (including suspension components) and that portion of the manufacturing process is massive, not to mention engineering, casting, inspection, R&D, quality control, and the liability that goes along with it.
good to know on all of your info. Thanks for shedding some light. =)

Originally Posted by lomein
SICK!! absolute perfect choice!
thanks and yes...volks all day!
Old 02-17-14, 03:59 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

great build. love the color combo
Old 02-17-14, 04:30 PM
AZCOSIS350
Driver School Candidate

Awesome look!
Old 02-19-14, 10:14 PM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RastaRacer
great build. love the color combo
Originally Posted by AZCOSIS350
Awesome look!
thanks guys! getting the BBK soon...
Old 02-19-14, 10:47 PM
sc00b
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good choice i like it!
Old 02-20-14, 08:13 AM
Antnie2418
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Is your car AWD ? I am still trying to figure out if you can have an offset with AWD with out worry about the AWD system getting messed up

Quick Reply: Volk TE37RT - Angry Panda