IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Maybe a RWD 3IS Wasn't Such a Good Idea!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-14, 02:53 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

I always parked my Mustang for the NY winters...

... Enjoyed my 87' LandCruiser for the snowy months..!!!

RWD + Summer Tires + Snow just dont mix at all..

~ Joe Z
Old 02-14-14, 03:51 PM
s4awd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
Perhaps because your post implies that winter tires are for driving in snow, therefore if it doesn't snow much, you don't need them. Winter tires are for driving in winter temperatures, as well as wintery conditions, which includes ice and snow. Also, unpredictable weather happens.

If a person doesn't have the space to store them, that's understandable and good all-seasons are definitely an alternative option, but I'd hardly call dedicated tires a waste of money. Driving on summers in the winter in even the slightest of conditions can be far more costly.
I think it comes down to how busy you are. When I was single, I swapped my own wheels, took care of my car. Now, with kids, work, house, I just don't have time for anything. I feel like I don't even have time to get gas never mind swapping out wheels before snow arrives which on the east coast can strike at anytime after Sept. I don't want an suv so having an awd car with all season's just works for me without the hassle
Old 02-14-14, 05:40 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It wouldn't be any better if you had AWD with summer tires so in this case tires make all the difference.
Old 02-14-14, 06:26 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Tires are key, but if he'd bought AWD, he'd have the stock all seasons, not summer tires.
Old 02-14-14, 06:53 PM
is2506spon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
I'm still running stock summers. Seriously considering getting some blizzaks but I don't know if that will even make a difference or not considering the RWD drivetrain? If anyone has experience with the winter tires let me know.
I run blizzaks on an ISF and have no issue with winters in Ontario.
Any good snow tire is a must for rwd performance sedan.
Old 02-14-14, 06:54 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
Tires are key, but if he'd bought AWD, he'd have the stock all seasons, not summer tires.
Just saying even with AWD, having summer tires on all four tires won't help for driving through snow. If AWD came with summer tires he would have to swap them for winter driving. When buying IS350 F Sport RWD I knew I would have to get winter tires. I had no illusions of getting through MN winter with stock summer tires.

On the first day I got my IS350 F Sport RWD I put X-Ice Xi3 winter tires on. I haven't had any issues so far this winter. So good in fact I thought perhaps I didn't need to buy the winters but seeing posts like this I can see having the right tires makes all the difference.

I'd be interested to see how RWD does with good all-season on snow. That may be a good compromise for someone who don't want second set of wheels and TPMS for winter if it works good.
Old 02-14-14, 07:51 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SonyHome
Just saying even with AWD, having summer tires on all four tires won't help for driving through snow. If AWD came with summer tires he would have to swap them for winter driving. When buying IS350 F Sport RWD I knew I would have to get winter tires. I had no illusions of getting through MN winter with stock summer tires.

On the first day I got my IS350 F Sport RWD I put X-Ice Xi3 winter tires on. I haven't had any issues so far this winter. So good in fact I thought perhaps I didn't need to buy the winters but seeing posts like this I can see having the right tires makes all the difference.

I'd be interested to see how RWD does with good all-season on snow. That may be a good compromise for someone who don't want second set of wheels and TPMS for winter if it works good.
Understood and agreed.
Old 02-14-14, 08:35 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Still wondering if RWD w/ Winter Tires is superior to AWD w/ All Seasons in Winter (Snow)...

Side to side comparison (accelerating, handling and braking) would be interesting!

Last edited by dbs600; 02-14-14 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-14-14, 09:24 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dbs600
Still wondering if RWD w/ Winter Tires is superior to AWD w/ All Seasons in Winter (Snow)...

Side to side comparison (accelerating, handling and braking) would be interesting!
I suspect you'd find the AWD with all seasons would get you going better, but once under way, the RWD with snow tires would outperform AWD (handling, steering, braking). So for those who must drive in snow, nothing would beat AWD with snow tires.
Old 03-10-14, 08:10 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

So I don't mean to bump this thread for no reason. I watched an interesting video on yahoo recently which reminded of the discussion we had here.

Check it out: http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...145220084.html

It's so true what people say about not worrying so much about drive train (AWD/RWD), but rather than the tires you have mounted.

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 03-15-14, 11:25 PM
CharlieVo
Driver School Candidate

any RWD with wrong weather condition tires will drive like crap. Like people mentioned it's all in the tire.
Old 03-16-14, 07:13 AM
jaznraz
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't say enough good things about my 350 RWD with Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3d snow tires. While on a business trip, the forecast for 1" of snow turned into 6" (surprise) and my 120 mile journey home was an eye opener. The car was simply fantastic and I had no issues whatsoever. Most of the trip was on a 2 lane divided road (not interstate) and I was constantly in the un-plowed lane (2-3" of snow) passing 100's of cars. My previous car was an STI and I have no regrets with the RWD IS.

After 20 miles

After 120 miles

Last edited by jaznraz; 03-18-14 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-14-15, 08:11 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by jaznraz
I went with 235/40/18 on all four corners with my factory F-Sport rims (RWD) - fits perfect imo.

Is it possible to go square with the factory F-Sport Rims on a RWD vehicle??
Old 04-14-15, 10:27 AM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in the AWD vs RWD dilemma and I'm so happy I went with RWD (with Blizzak WS80's). I'm too lazy to re-post everything I wrote but my conclusion is this :
If, like me, you live in a flat city that's plowed quickly, then get RWD with good winter tires. If you don't get much snow and don't want to buy winter tires, then get AWD with stock tires.

If you're expecting to drive in snow with RWD and stock tires then by all means buy a good life/car insurance.
Old 04-14-15, 02:13 PM
halfnyce07
Driver

Originally Posted by Aeromotive
I was in the AWD vs RWD dilemma and I'm so happy I went with RWD (with Blizzak WS80's). I'm too lazy to re-post everything I wrote but my conclusion is this :
If, like me, you live in a flat city that's plowed quickly, then get RWD with good winter tires. If you don't get much snow and don't want to buy winter tires, then get AWD with stock tires.

If you're expecting to drive in snow with RWD and stock tires then by all means buy a good life/car insurance.
I live just north of Boston, and when I bought my car in January (RWD IS350 F-Sport) it started to snow on the drive back from the dealership. As soon as I hit the first patch of snow I was instantly full of regret.Needless to say my car sat in the driveway for 2 weeks while the city removed snow. So I can agree with how terribly dangerous it is to have one of these with out proper snow tires. So for this winter I am DEFINITELY buying snow tires. No question about it.

Quick Reply: Maybe a RWD 3IS Wasn't Such a Good Idea!!!!