IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2015 Model

Old 06-27-14, 07:01 PM
MGB1120
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dasbuch
There are usually not too many changes between year one and two of a new model. That's why I'm surprised at the link earlier in the thread that claims confirmation of the turbo IS model this year. I'm not saying it won't happen mid-year but it sure seems like an important omission from an official "what's new" list.

As I said though, I wouldn't take a turbo if they took 4 grand off the price as incentive.
Yeah will eat away at gas. Glad there not changing the exterior any.
Old 06-27-14, 07:09 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

The link I shared with you is for Original Equipment LED Fog Lamps for IS FSport..

Here is a hint.. The car was orginally DESIGNED for fog lamps..

They were deleted from the USA Markets and several others..

The brake cooling slots & ducts are ALL THE SAME in all markets for FSport.

~ Joe Z

I think you might have misunderstood what I meant. I do understand a modder can put fog lights there if they want, but the front lip of the F-Sport is supposedly designed that way to increase airflow to the brakes, so I don't think Lexus would be able to simply cram lights in the slots without changing some other design aspect of the car to cool the brakes. Whether or not modders who install their won will suffer issues with brakes from impeding ventilation will probably depend on how they drive their cars, and other factors.
Old 06-27-14, 07:29 PM
dasbuch
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
The link I shared with you is for Original Equipment LED Fog Lamps for IS FSport..
Modifying a car does not necessarily imply the use of aftermarket parts. If you modify a car and use OEM parts that did not come factory, you've still modified it. The terminology I used was correct.

Here is a hint.. The car was orginally DESIGNED for fog lamps..
They were deleted from the USA Markets and several others..
The brake cooling slots & ducts are ALL THE SAME in all markets for FSport.
You don't think it's possible Lexus would leave the lights off to increase the airflow to the brakes in certain climates, and/or the specific brake parts (pads rotors) in those markets might differ in their heat tolerance? I readily admit that the information I read might be incorrect, but this would be a perfectly valid explanation for why fog lights are available on the FSport in some markets. If what I read is true, it would be irrelevant that the ventilation slots or ducts are the same. If lights are blocking the ducts, and Lexus made a commitment to supporting vehicles in that region with blocked ducts, there could be a valid reason behind it. Some regions may have a much greater ratio of highway to city driving than the US market as a whole (thus Lexus might be less concerned with brake complaints in those regions) or maybe they are charging substantially more for the vehicle there in relation to their cost of servicing the vehicle. Or just foggier climates.. lol
Old 06-27-14, 08:11 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm surprised they're not offering the new user interface that is being introduced in the RC with the "flat pad" rather than the mouse. The RC interior is almost a carbon copy of the IS interior. Seems like it would be an easy switch.
Old 06-27-14, 08:41 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Dasbuch, this is how I understand it:

On the F Sport, there are four vents on the front bumper cover - one on each side immediately next to the grill, and two larger ones further outboard. Some air is also directed from the grill. The fog lights that are provided from the factory on F Sports in other regions occupy the outer vents, but leave the inner ones and the grill in tact and functional.

These fog lights are offered in regions with a great variance in weather - Japan, Norway, UAE, Australia, and more.

The reason the fog lights were not included on F Sports in North America is about packaging and costs. Lexus worked hard to not pass the $50k threshold here in the US. This is why there is no leather, memory seating, seat ventilation (until 2015) on the North American models, while all of those features are available on F Sports elsewhere.
Old 06-27-14, 09:33 PM
dasbuch
Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
Dasbuch, this is how I understand it:

On the F Sport, there are four vents on the front bumper cover - one on each side immediately next to the grill, and two larger ones further outboard. Some air is also directed from the grill. The fog lights that are provided from the factory on F Sports in other regions occupy the outer vents, but leave the inner ones and the grill in tact and functional.

These fog lights are offered in regions with a great variance in weather - Japan, Norway, UAE, Australia, and more.

The reason the fog lights were not included on F Sports in North America is about packaging and costs. Lexus worked hard to not pass the $50k threshold here in the US. This is why there is no leather, memory seating, seat ventilation (until 2015) on the North American models, while all of those features are available on F Sports elsewhere.
Thanks for the insights, and I find this plausible (thus my mention of cost of the vehicle in particular markets in earlier message), however what would still not make sense to me is why Lexus wouldn't just offer them as an add-on for an extra charge? Right now by adding extra accessories I can exceed the $50k threshold without even adding options like dynamic radar / collision detect (another $500 or so), so why would fog lights be different?
Old 06-27-14, 09:40 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

OK... I really do appreciate how much thought you have put into this..!!

But maybe photos are worth a 1,000 words that I will not be typing..

Below I have attached the OEM "USA" FSport BLANK solid covers.. By SOLID, I am explaining to you that NO AIR flows through the blank... It's a hole filler...
The illusion of air flowing through them stops when you look inside and see solid plastic.

The JDM OEM covers are self explanatory... They have a hole for the fog lamps..

Best Regards,

Joe Z

Modifying a car does not necessarily imply the use of aftermarket parts. If you modify a car and use OEM parts that did not come factory, you've still modified it. The terminology I used was correct.

You don't think it's possible Lexus would leave the lights off to increase the airflow to the brakes in certain climates, and/or the specific brake parts (pads rotors) in those markets might differ in their heat tolerance? I readily admit that the information I read might be incorrect, but this would be a perfectly valid explanation for why fog lights are available on the FSport in some markets. If what I read is true, it would be irrelevant that the ventilation slots or ducts are the same. If lights are blocking the ducts, and Lexus made a commitment to supporting vehicles in that region with blocked ducts, there could be a valid reason behind it. Some regions may have a much greater ratio of highway to city driving than the US market as a whole (thus Lexus might be less concerned with brake complaints in those regions) or maybe they are charging substantially more for the vehicle there in relation to their cost of servicing the vehicle. Or just foggier climates.. lol
Attached Thumbnails 2015 Model-image.jpg  

Last edited by Joe Z; 06-27-14 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-27-14, 10:24 PM
VGer
Rookie

Originally Posted by dseag2
I'm surprised they're not offering the new user interface that is being introduced in the RC with the "flat pad" rather than the mouse. The RC interior is almost a carbon copy of the IS interior. Seems like it would be an easy switch.
They are, if you read the whole press release they make mention of it. What I'm wondering is if they can add Siri and the backup line guidance into the 2014s. I would think it's just a software upgrade. The backup guidance should be doable at the very least.
Old 06-28-14, 05:25 AM
BSQRD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JDR76
Here you go, details on the 2015 changes:

http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...ws+release.htm
Yes!!! Heated and Cooled Seats on the F-Sport!!!
Old 06-28-14, 05:27 AM
dasbuch
Driver

OK... I really do appreciate how much thought you have put into this..!!

But maybe photos are worth a 1,000 words that I will not be typing..

Below I have attached the OEM "USA" FSport BLANK solid covers.. By SOLID, I am explaining to you that NO AIR flows through the blank... It's a hole filler...
The illusion of air flowing through them stops when you look inside and see solid plastic.

The JDM OEM covers are self explanatory... They have a hole for the fog lamps..
Yes, the photos are definitely helpful, thanks for those (although, you would not have needed 1000 words at all. If you had just said there are solid plastic fillers that impede airflow in the factory USA FSports, I would have fully believed you and understood what you were telling me).

So, it appears that my information was incorrect and that the brake airflow thing is myth. If fogs were omitted in the USA as a cost thing, I still don't understand why they don't just make them another option for extra charge like they do some other features. It doesn't make sense to me to simply exclude them from such a large market.
Old 06-28-14, 06:37 AM
CTLG
Rookie

Yes, the photos are definitely helpful, thanks for those (although, you would not have needed 1000 words at all. If you had just said there are solid plastic fillers that impede airflow in the factory USA FSports, I would have fully believed you and understood what you were telling me).

So, it appears that my information was incorrect and that the brake airflow thing is myth. If fogs were omitted in the USA as a cost thing, I still don't understand why they don't just make them another option for extra charge like they do some other features. It doesn't make sense to me to simply exclude them from such a large market.
The brake cooling is certainly not a myth and neither is the design of the F Sport Spindle grill. The brake cooling ducts are the ones immediately to the left and right of the spindle grill insert. Brake cooling was never designed to come from the outboard "ducts". Those were designed for fog lights all along.

So yes, the f sport does have brake cooling ducts.
Old 06-28-14, 07:50 AM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BSQRD
Yes!!! Heated and Cooled Seats on the F-Sport!!!
"Ventillated" seats are not necessarily cooled seats. ES forum discusses this.
Old 06-28-14, 08:25 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by VGer
They are, if you read the whole press release they make mention of it. What I'm wondering is if they can add Siri and the backup line guidance into the 2014s. I would think it's just a software upgrade. The backup guidance should be doable at the very least.
I don't see that anywhere in the press release.

It's doubtful Siri will be available as a software upgrade on the 14s. It wasn't offered for previous year upgrades after being added to the RX and GS in 14.
Old 06-28-14, 08:57 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the 2015 F Sports will have ventilated seats, does it mean they'll have leather too!?

As I recall, the reason they didn't have ventilated seats in 2014 was due to NuLuxe.

Otherwise, will they have heated steering wheels too?

What about memory seats?
Old 06-28-14, 08:59 AM
eyeball
Lead Lap

I'm just glad my 2014 won't look too obsolete when the 2015 comes out lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 Model