IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Techstream cable kit question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-14, 04:49 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by JGard18
Yeah, you need version 8+ for it to recognize the car. I tried v7 first and it only went up to model year 2012.
You have a copy of this v8?
or link to it
Old 02-10-14, 07:41 PM
avex
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It comes with 8.00.034, and an update patch to 8.10.021. Everything can be downloaded on their web site here:

www.obdinnovations.com/downloads

You want the second one down: "Mini-VCI for Toyota Software Package"

Can someone tell me exactly where the VCI port is located under the dash on the 2014 IS? I assume it's covered with a plug or something to disguise it?
Old 02-10-14, 08:39 PM
specONE
Racer

Originally Posted by avex
It comes with 8.00.034, and an update patch to 8.10.021. Everything can be downloaded on their web site here:

www.obdinnovations.com/downloads

You want the second one down: "Mini-VCI for Toyota Software Package"

Can someone tell me exactly where the VCI port is located under the dash on the 2014 IS? I assume it's covered with a plug or something to disguise it?
are you talking about the OBD2 port? I think you are. Yes it is under the driver side of the dash.
Its super easy to find. Grab a flashlight and poke your head down there and you'll find it within seconds.
every car made after 1996 has this connector under the dash.
Old 02-11-14, 01:34 AM
morton87
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well this cable allow you change some of settings in my 3IS that typically you have to take it to the dealer for ?
Old 02-11-14, 09:27 AM
JGard18
Pole Position

Yep. I used it to set it so I can open all windows and sunroof with the keyfob. I also disabled the audible beep when I lock and unlock the doors.

There are a bunch of other things that you can change, but I didn't feel the need to change any of them. The list of them is in the owner's manual. The one thing you cannot change with this is the number of blinks when you half-press the blinker stalk. There's like a whole procedure to change that one.
Old 02-11-14, 10:41 PM
specONE
Racer

Yup just got mines and had some time to play with it.
It definitely allows you to change Lexus Personalized Settings in the comfort of your own Garage =)

This is where I ordered mines from.
http://www.autoecukey.com/2013-mini-...ream-v8-10-021

Here is some photos for people out there.

Customized setting screens

Old 02-12-14, 06:56 AM
JGard18
Pole Position

Oh right! That's the other thing I changed, no more seatbelt ding! Granted, I never drive w/o it, but sometimes I have to take it off to get something out of my pocket or if I'm just driving to the mailbox or something I won't put it on, so it's a nice change.
Old 02-26-14, 06:34 PM
avex
Rookie

Just to follow-up on this thread, I did receive the $27 version of the VCI cable that I ordered from Amazon. I was able to install the Techstream software and driver on my Windows 7 laptop in Windows XP Virtual PC Mode.

FYI, if your Windows 7 laptop has Windows Home Edition installed, you will have to upgrade it to Windows Professional Edition in order to use XP mode (it is not supported in Home Edition).

Once XP mode was installed, installation of the Techstream software and driver was as simple as following the step by step instructions that came with the cable. You just have to be sure you install everything within XP mode, and then run Techstream within XP mode.

Once installed, you plug the VCI cable in under the dash, plug the other end into a USB port, start the ignition, and then start the Techstream software.

IMPORTANT NOTE IF YOU ARE RUNNING THE SOFTWARE ON A WINDOWS 7 COMPUTER IN XP MODE: you will have to "attach" the cable in XP mode by selecting it it in the dropdown menu in the top-left corner of the XP mode window. If you don't "attach" the VCI cable in that menu first, Techstream will never be able to communicate with the cable.

In general, the driver can be a bit clunky to use (at least in my experience using XP mode). You may have to unplug and re-insert the cable a couple of times until the driver recognizes it. Each time, you have to remember to "attach" the cable again in the XP mode drop-down menu. But once it syncs up, it's fine.

You're first prompted to choose either 2WD or 4WD, then it will sync to the car. Once connected, it's just a matter of opening all the menus until you find what you want.

For me, it was probably the best $27 I've ever spent on a car.

Last edited by avex; 02-26-14 at 06:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
aEO 37 (11-12-19)
Old 02-26-14, 09:22 PM
specONE
Racer

Glad you got it working avex,

Best to run this on a old laptop laying around running XP, i had no problems with drivers or the program itself when i installed it on my old 10" Asus Netbook running XP.

This is a great investment to have if you do a lot of DIY
Old 02-26-14, 11:10 PM
morton87
Rookie

Love the information about this on here, was debating on buying a cable or not as didn't know i really could change. But now that i have seen what others have done plus the screen shots specONE provided i am sold Ill be ordering one shortly
Old 02-27-14, 06:14 AM
Beire
Driver School Candidate

Is the IS300H supported in techstream? Can someone confirm this?
Old 03-29-14, 03:13 PM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

I bought this TechStream kit and it works for most settings. It will NOT allow you to register TPMS ID's. The feature is in the software but the update fails every time. I found a lot of similar complaints when Googling for a fix and it seems there isn't one.

So in summary it will allow you to change some of the personalization features but not register TPMS.
Old 01-12-21, 07:28 AM
derreckla
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Did you get this resolved?

I am new to the game and won't let me do customizations, one of the only reasons I purchased it.

Thanks
Old 01-12-21, 08:36 AM
tabjohitol
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The problem apparently isn't the cable but the firmware that runs it. I have the same problem trying to register TPMS IDs on my wife's Highlander using my M-VCI cable, gets all the way through then I get a comm error. Most M-VCI cables sold on Amazon and Ebay come with version 1.4.1 on the mini CD that comes with the cable. I've read that some folks have had better luck with the cables that come with the newer version of the firmware, 2.0.4. Unfortunately it seems really hard to find the firmware online, or even the cables sold with the newer firmware.
Old 01-12-21, 08:50 AM
derreckla
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks just ordered version to from china on suggestion of other member

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3291...27424c4dADrMus
The following users liked this post:
tabjohitol (01-12-21)

Quick Reply: Techstream cable kit question