IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

What to ask for 2014 IS250 F Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-14, 01:46 PM
John510
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What to ask for 2014 IS250 F Sport?

Hey guys its time for me to get something bigger. I have a third kid on the way and the IS just isn't happening with 3 car seats especially when I need to put the backwards one on the side to get it in and out easily. Its suburban time! (I refuse to drive a minivan)

Question is what is a fair price to list it for? Its got 7K miles, Nebula grey on red.
Old 02-01-14, 01:58 PM
bucanero
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bummed to hear that.

CarMax usually gives really good and competitive pricing. I would check them out first to give you a ballpark estimate. Then base your decision off that and whatever the dealer is offering. Best wishes and good luck with your new kid and vehicle.
Old 02-01-14, 02:08 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Congrats on the latest. SUV/CUV time
Old 02-01-14, 02:17 PM
John510
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh and for what its worth you can fit 3 convertible carseats in a IS250 if you buy Diono Radian R100 or R120. Its the rear facing one that gets you because there isn't enough leg room for it to fit on the side.

Either way I have until July to figure it out. Ive driven almost every luxury SUV on the market.

ML350 - tops my list at the moment. interior is nice and rear seat is very wide. Price is cheaper than other comparable SUV's in its class
X3/X5 - pricey for what you get
Cayenne - My second choice but the rear seat is not flat and it may not be wide enough. But the interior is beautiful!! expensive once you add options.
Tahoe/Suburban - waiting to see new 2015 model before I can make decision. price is good for what you get.
Range Rover sport - Dealer said there is an 8 month wait list plus people say the reliability is horrid. But that backseat… wow.

Last edited by John510; 02-01-14 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-01-14, 02:36 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I like most of those choices. If you're looking at the X3 though means 5 seats, so I'd suggest checking out the MKX as well. For the 7-Seats, though I'm personally not a fan of the QX60 it does have good usability and adjustability as well as a nicely appointed cabin. Also for 7-seats, Q7, Acadia/Enclave should be test driven too
Old 02-01-14, 03:02 PM
calebc
Driver School Candidate

A few others worth checking out for smaller SUVs are the Range Rover Evoque (keep it under warranty and you shouldn't have any problems. Get rid of it before the warranty runs out, repairs on the LR/RR lines can be very pricey). Also the Audi Q5. I'd lean towards the Cayenne over the others besides the Evoque, it was very roomy, drove great, and had fantastic features. For the Fullsize SUVs, not sure what to say, I'm not really a fan of any of them.

As for your original question, a lot of that has to do with your area. I agree about getting the CarMax quote. I recently got rid of a 2012 VW GTI. Looking at the private market, most were listed around $19.5K, the dealer wanted to give me $16K, CarMax offered $18K with no commitment to buy anything. I ended up getting the $18K for it as the hassle of a private sale wasn't worth the POSSIBILITY of $1500 more. However, what you car is worth in my area does;t apply really to what it's worth in your area. A RWD IS is worth far less (especially on the used market) around here than an AWD for example due to having to deal with snow. However, I doubt there is that descrepancy say in Southern California where they don't have to deal with snow.
Old 02-01-14, 03:52 PM
im2c0ol
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by John510
Oh and for what its worth you can fit 3 convertible carseats in a IS250 if you buy Diono Radian R100 or R120. Its the rear facing one that gets you because there isn't enough leg room for it to fit on the side.

Either way I have until July to figure it out. Ive driven almost every luxury SUV on the market.

ML350 - tops my list at the moment. interior is nice and rear seat is very wide. Price is cheaper than other comparable SUV's in its class
X3/X5 - pricey for what you get
Cayenne - My second choice but the rear seat is not flat and it may not be wide enough. But the interior is beautiful!! expensive once you add options.
Tahoe/Suburban - waiting to see new 2015 model before I can make decision. price is good for what you get.
Range Rover sport - Dealer said there is an 8 month wait list plus people say the reliability is horrid. But that backseat… wow.
I'm sort of waiting for the 2015 Suburban too after test drove the following
GL450
Buick Enclave
Infiniti QX80
Looked at;
Subaru Forestor
Range Rover
Toyota Landcruiser
Highlander
Lexus GX/LX series
X3/X5

I'll have to make up my mind by may or june, I kinda like Suburban seems to be reliable, best bang for the bucks. As for those GL450 range it's going to be very expensive to maintains, pricey car does not mean it's reliable. So far I like the Subaru Forestor for daily commute, and wait until my 8seater SUV die within the next 2-4yrs later should be a good time to pick up our next 7-8seater SUV. But I might be getting a 2nd gen IS250, IDK yet... once we get to the end of april we might come up with a more solid choices.

Last edited by im2c0ol; 02-01-14 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-01-14, 04:06 PM
eyeball
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by John510
Hey guys its time for me to get something bigger. I have a third kid on the way and the IS just isn't happening with 3 car seats especially when I need to put the backwards one on the side to get it in and out easily. Its suburban time! (I refuse to drive a minivan) Question is what is a fair price to list it for? Its got 7K miles, Nebula grey on red.
Sad to read this but I understand. You and I got our nebula gray/rioja red around the same time ...
Old 02-01-14, 05:35 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2014 Acura MDX is not on your list? This would be on top of my list.
Old 02-01-14, 06:40 PM
eyeball
Lead Lap

Audi Q5!!!
Old 02-02-14, 12:13 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I'd consider sticking wtih Lexus if you want the no hassle experience. RX or GX will hold their lines and value well over time. MDX is a solid choice too.
Congrats and best wishes.
Old 02-02-14, 03:54 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Why not a RX450h F-sport?
Old 02-02-14, 05:48 AM
SexyElaine
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations first an foremost on the new bundle of joy coming

All the SUV's mentioned are great choices but i think it's the space you actually will be needing the most so it looks like numerous trips to different dealers with the childeats on hand to actually see and feel what you'll be doing on a day to day basis. The larger ones like the MDX , ML 350 and even the X5 i would think would be the front runners.

As much as i like the new RRS i'd honestly stay away from those since i have a few friends with horror stories regarding its reliability and then it's also a first year model yikes regardless good luck !!
Old 02-02-14, 06:02 AM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congratulations on the new addition coming to your family.

All my children are grown, but I remember these years well. I will echo what some others have said. Namely, other factors being equal (reliability, etc.) go for the most interior space. On a day to day basis with three kids in tow, the most driving satisfaction will be associated with the most cabin space!

At any rate, I for one, will be sorry to see you leave this forum. I have always found your posts to be informative, helpful, well reasoned and mature.

Good Luck!
Old 02-02-14, 07:10 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jhs82
Why not a RX450h F-sport?
They dont get the 450h F Sport in the US. F Sport is only available in 350 form I think. So yeah, why not RX350 F Sport?

Quick Reply: What to ask for 2014 IS250 F Sport?