IS Review Summary

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-14, 09:38 PM
hoosier1
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default IS Review Summary

Nice summary of IS reviews.

...While it's a big step up from its predecessor, the IS can't quite match the poise of its top rivals on a circuit. But that doesn't mean Lexus's latest sedan fails to provide a great all-around car for shoppers who want a bold new luxury vehicle with a sporty flair." -- AutoTrader

..."As before, comfort, luxury and outright refinement take priority over performance and headlines on the 2014 Lexus IS 250. This car will please Lexus loyalists, but if you're not devoted to the brand, you owe it to yourself to shop around." -- Edmunds

..."The 2014 Lexus IS is both very good and yet in a few areas it falls just a little short, with the available F-Sport trim acting as a tease as to what the new IS could be." -- MSN Autos

..."I think Lexus has finally built an entry-level sport sedan that's great to look at, wonderful to sit in, and a lot of fun to drive. It's the kind of car that its buyer will enjoy for years to come. But things do get tricky here because the competition is so tough." -- Jalopnik

..."If you happen to be shopping for a compact luxury sedan, you'd be doing yourself a disservice by assuming the IS is just another boring Lexus." -- Left Lane News

Last edited by hoosier1; 01-31-14 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-01-14, 04:42 AM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice as in all the unfavorable reviews assembled like the Injustice League?
Attached Thumbnails IS Review Summary-futurama.jpg  
Old 02-01-14, 09:52 AM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

To the OP: Your own fault for buying a 250.
Old 02-01-14, 11:19 AM
hoosier1
Driver

Originally Posted by BOBFSPORT
To the OP: Your own fault for buying a 250.
The post should have been prefaced with the fact that I disagree with most of the reviews. I find the reviews to be a mixed bag and what you would expect from a variety of sources.

However, the idea that the IS350 is better than the IS250 is in the eyes of the beholder. I've owned a 335xi coupe that would smoke the IS350. I would purchase the IS250AWD again over the IS350. The need for speed is just not there for me, as I don't plan to take my car to the track or street race. Also, I can afford to buy just about any car, and pay cash, but the IS250 struck the right balance for me...cost, quality, etc.

You can always buy a car that is faster, but how much power is really needed? Yesterday on my way home from work, three Indiana State Troopers were patrolling the highway as usual writing tickets like there's no tomorrow. When driving in town, it's stop and go from one stoplight to the next not to mention driving through several 20MPH school zones.

Power in the IS250 is more than adequate. Fit, finish, power train refinement, leather, crisp handling and price sets the IS250 with the luxury package apart from the competition. If everyone had the same taste, there would be a big shortage of vanilla ice cream.

Personally, I believe Lexus has hit a home run with the IS. The RC version will be on my purchase list if a 300h version is offered.

Last edited by hoosier1; 02-01-14 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-01-14, 12:41 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

I personally don't think the 250 is lousy and that wasn't the intention of my post. I think your post is very confusing as you wrote NICE summary of IS reviews. That would lead others to believe that you agree with the reviews. The reviews of the 350 and 250 are night and day though regardless of how you feel about your car. Also I don't think speed is the determining factor as to why the 250 doesn't get great reviews. As you said the 350 is no rocket ship but the 250 is more than 100 less horsepower and not much difference in fuel economy (no turbo) plus the 8 speed transmission in the 350 is a gem. I think this is why the 250 gets a bad rap not just because it's 0-60 time is 7 and a half seconds.
Old 02-01-14, 01:01 PM
hoosier1
Driver

Originally Posted by BOBFSPORT
I personally don't think the 250 is lousy and that wasn't the intention of my post. I think your post is very confusing as you wrote NICE summary of IS reviews. That would lead others to believe that you agree with the reviews. The reviews of the 350 and 250 are night and day though regardless of how you feel about your car. Also I don't think speed is the determining factor as to why the 250 doesn't get great reviews. As you said the 350 is no rocket ship but the 250 is more than 100 less horsepower and not much difference in fuel economy (no turbo) plus the 8 speed transmission in the 350 is a gem. I think this is why the 250 gets a bad rap not just because it's 0-60 time is 7 and a half seconds.
I think you're spot on. The reason I stated nice summary is that it provided a mix of reviews from bad to good. Sorry if the message is confusing.

One would think that Lexus could find a way to up the HP on the 250, but they must be very conservative and afraid taking a hit on reliability.