IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

PPF for 3IS F Sport bumper: How many pieces?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-14, 05:58 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PPF for 3IS F Sport bumper: How many pieces?

Just had PPF installed on my IS350 F Sport for full bumper along with other areas. According to my installer this was supposed to be a pre-cut kit but I noticed their cuts look very much different than below image. In fact front bumper lip part by the fog lights looks like separate cut piece and does not look good at all since I can see uneven gaps between adjacent pieces.

If you had your bumper installed with PPF please let me know if yours is one piece or it done with multiple pieces.

Thank you.
Old 01-30-14, 06:20 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

I tried to show where mine has extra cut at in below image with red lines.

Old 01-30-14, 06:42 PM
phungy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine were separate, not one piece. Total of 5 pieces.
Old 01-30-14, 06:48 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by phungy
Mine were separate, not one piece. Total of 5 pieces.
Bumper may be 3 pieces with left, center and right.

Did they use the software to precut or custom cut your install? Where were your cuts?
Old 01-30-14, 07:01 PM
phungy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was a laser cut, that's what the service dept at Lexus told me.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 01-30-14, 07:59 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by phungy
It was a laser cut, that's what the service dept at Lexus told me.
I didn't have the dealer install it. I had XPEL authorized dealer install it.

So if I count the two smaller pieces by the fog light mine is 5 pieces. Based on XPEL pre cut kit it should be 3 pieces.
Old 01-30-14, 08:40 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SonyHome
I tried to show where mine has extra cut at in below image with red lines.

Unfortunately, the reason why you have those extra cuts (in red) is because the installer had some difficulty in those area and has to make some compromise by cutting those areas into more pieces. Don't blame the installer yet as sometimes it is due the poor design of the kit which is outside the control of the installer. But I think the installer should have explained to you when you receive your car back.

Now being said that, Xpel pre cut kits are among the best in the PPF industry. They are famous for less seams and they aim to design a kit with as little pieces as possible.

For my regular IS350, I also have Xpel kit installed on the bumper. For the regular one, I find the area between headlights and the swopping DRL LEDs were not properly designed. So I guess what happened to the installer who installed yours is he/she overcame some kit design flaw in one area and had to compromise somewhere and made a cut there.

For both regular and F Sport IS350, the Xpel bumper kit is supposed to have 3 separate pieces. On both left and right piece, there is always a seam between the headlight and the swooping DRL LED.

There is actually another pre-cut kit in which this particular F Sport bumper comes in one piece but still has a seam in the area between the headlight and its corresponding swoop DRL LED. But imagine it would be even more difficult to install in this particular case.
Old 01-30-14, 11:42 PM
Celsius
Lead Lap

my installer doesn't use pre-cut, he manually cuts them on the car.....perfect every time!
Old 01-31-14, 06:38 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Celsius
my installer doesn't use pre-cut, he manually cuts them on the car.....perfect every time!
For bumper like the one in 3IS, it is a challenge to install without pre-cut kit. Mind showing pictures of your bumper? Do you see any seams at all? The area between the DRL and the headlight leaves no where to hide the seams unless the installer takes the bumper off the car, take off the lights and install the film by hand.
Old 01-31-14, 02:50 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AndyL
Unfortunately, the reason why you have those extra cuts (in red) is because the installer had some difficulty in those area and has to make some compromise by cutting those areas into more pieces. Don't blame the installer yet as sometimes it is due the poor design of the kit which is outside the control of the installer. But I think the installer should have explained to you when you receive your car back.

Now being said that, Xpel pre cut kits are among the best in the PPF industry. They are famous for less seams and they aim to design a kit with as little pieces as possible.

For my regular IS350, I also have Xpel kit installed on the bumper. For the regular one, I find the area between headlights and the swopping DRL LEDs were not properly designed. So I guess what happened to the installer who installed yours is he/she overcame some kit design flaw in one area and had to compromise somewhere and made a cut there.

For both regular and F Sport IS350, the Xpel bumper kit is supposed to have 3 separate pieces. On both left and right piece, there is always a seam between the headlight and the swooping DRL LED.

There is actually another pre-cut kit in which this particular F Sport bumper comes in one piece but still has a seam in the area between the headlight and its corresponding swoop DRL LED. But imagine it would be even more difficult to install in this particular case.
Looking at the PDF images of the kit that phungy attached, I'm guessing my installer used 3M software to cut XPel film and not the Xpel kit or software. One of the other things I mentioned to my PPF company was I was expecting more areas to be covered on the roof since XPEL kit shows it covering all the way to the sun roof but looking at the pdf from phungy that's exactly the coverage that's on my car. Why wouldn't Xpel authorized dealer use the Xpel software to precut and install Xpel film? I wish I had known this. It sounds like they will work with me but I'm not sure if they'll be able to adjust the size to match the XPel's coverage using their 3M software.

3IS bumper is hard for average Joe like me but I would have expected professionals who are properly trained to be able to handle this.
Old 01-31-14, 03:01 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Even though I had few complaints about my PPF install, my PPF company is standing behind their work and willing to work with me to address these. I give them a lot of credit to them for this.

Below image show extra seam (line in red) they put to install the bumper PPF. I asked if it could remain single piece like the original kit but they came back with alternative options (line in blue). It's much smaller seam but it's also little higher up so it may be more visible. What do you guys think between two choices of seam? I honestly wish they could install it per normal kit with no seam...

Original XPEL Kit with no extra seams.