IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

14' IS350 Full LED Headlights - opened it, did some custom paint & LED work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-14, 08:55 AM
180Custom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 14' IS350 Full LED Headlights - opened it, did some custom paint & LED work.

Has anyone tried to crack open the 3rd gen headlights? If you did, which ones?

I was doing a set for a friend, he has a 2014 IS350 F-Sport w/ LED headlights... First things first, I have a ton of experience with opening headlights, did over 500 sets throughout the last 6 years doing custom headlight work for people.

Headlights are typically sealed in 2 different ways from the factory. The easy way, which is a soft glue that gets softer after placing it in the oven for 10 min and its pretty simple to open. The second way is a seal we like to call "Perma-Seal", its a headlight that is permanently sealed by the factory to assure the seal is tight, and doesn't cause any condensation. To permanently seal the headlights, they use a high temperature silicone that only melts above the temperature a headlight CANNOT withstand. I learned to open them with a ton of elbow grease, several hours in the oven, and then a several hours to prep each headlight so it can be resealed. Typically these lights have the same type of silicone, so depending on the shape, some are harder than others.

NOW, for the new Lexus IS350... this silicone is not only extreme high temperature, but it is also has almost no elasticity, it bonds so well that its almost impossible to even penetrate. These headlights are by far the HARDEST headlights I ever tried to open.

I've gotten my fair share of battle wounds from headlights, some were deep, some left scars... and this headlight, after 6 years, left me with the biggest wound. I had to put so much pressure on the tool I was using that it slipped, went right through my tough mechanics gloves, and put a 2 1/2" gash on my palm.

After about 7 hours of my labor, I got them opened.

The shrouds were painted Starfire Pearl, the chrome trim around the side reflector was done in Matte Black. I left the turn signal chrome so it still remains fully functional. The amber parking light was replaced with a pure white LED. Installed red "Demon-Eye" style for the projectors, and added 2 5000K Pure white LED rings.

On to the pics: Sorry I didn't get any disassembled photos because I was in the middle of doing other work that was time sensitive.

My wound, its not so wide, but ended up being really deep... now it's scabbing on the inside of the wound by my finger, hurts like a *****

This is the headlight:
]

It was pretty difficult to mount the rings because the edge of the shroud isn't flat, has a curve... I shaped the rings and secured them pretty flush though.

iPhone photos: I'll have some pics from my DSLR in about an hour or so...

What do you think?

Last edited by DaveGS4; 01-29-14 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Check pm
Old 01-27-14, 09:02 AM
phungy
Driver

Ouch! but wow! Looks so possessed but in a good way! haha
Old 01-27-14, 09:02 AM
larry13
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks good. can you do mine lol
Old 01-27-14, 09:10 AM
sarcoptic
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks pretty damn good! Good work!
Old 01-27-14, 09:22 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

The is by far the best first post that I have seen so far. and wow you did a great job! It looks awesome! I hate to say that it reminds me a bit bmw headlights but hey it is even sweeter
Old 01-27-14, 10:02 AM
atomic350
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks surreal... kudos to you sir. Ive been baking headlights for years now too but wow i believe u when you say it was difficult. Everytime i did one, i never wanted to do it again. So this time, i wont even attempt. Lol but man that headlight made a big difference! Good job
Old 01-27-14, 10:10 AM
jspridge
Driver School Candidate

What an amazing job on the modifications! Looks very cool. You'll have a nice battle scar to show for it as well. Nicely done.

Quick question for you, since you've removed and replaced the entire fixture: Are there separate height adjustment screws for both the low and the high beams, and if so, can you tell us the location of the high beam adjustment screw? With the headlight fixture still mounted in my car, I only see one adjustment screw.

Thanks!
Old 01-27-14, 10:16 AM
RayG
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thats awesome man great work . !!!
Old 01-27-14, 10:33 AM
180Custom
Driver School Candidate

Heres a few photos from the session, I'll upload some more when I finish editing them in a bit.

Old 01-27-14, 10:35 AM
180Custom
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jspridge
What an amazing job on the modifications! Looks very cool. You'll have a nice battle scar to show for it as well. Nicely done.

Quick question for you, since you've removed and replaced the entire fixture: Are there separate height adjustment screws for both the low and the high beams, and if so, can you tell us the location of the high beam adjustment screw? With the headlight fixture still mounted in my car, I only see one adjustment screw.

Thanks!
The high beam and low beam sit on one large bracket that can only be tilted side to side and up and down. Theres no way to aim the projectors separately.

Is there a reason why you want to re-aim the headlights?
Old 01-27-14, 11:19 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

looks like a Terminator car now
Old 01-27-14, 11:21 AM
Jaydemm
Pole Position

Damn I really would like that red on my headlights!
Old 01-27-14, 11:29 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, great job on the mod! I love the different color inner light. However, I dont like the Angle Eyes. Too much of a copy cat and cheapen our Lexus. Angle Eyes are BMW thing and should be exclusively be on Bimmers.
Old 01-27-14, 11:35 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

first and foremost, i hope your hand is okay and that it'll heal up fast. it looks like a terrible gash, i cut my finger before half inch wide but just as deep and it hurt like a *****! till this day i still get small tingles around that area if i push it softly.

anyways, i'm not sure how i feel about this...at first, i didn't like the 3IS headlights but then it grew on me, mostly because i realized how different they were--especially apart from the double halo bimmer headlights. it seems every aftermarket headlight company always tries to copy bmw's halo rings and it just looks plain tacky and rice IMHO. i'm glad lexus went a different direction to set the trend, but ya kinda took it back. however, i will give you major props for this effort/work, and the amazing craftsman ship in the painting--looks great.
Old 01-27-14, 12:06 PM
jspridge
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 180Custom
The high beam and low beam sit on one large bracket that can only be tilted side to side and up and down. Theres no way to aim the projectors separately.

Is there a reason why you want to re-aim the headlights?
They need to be raised, as they are too low after changing springs to lower the car.

Quick Reply: 14' IS350 Full LED Headlights - opened it, did some custom paint & LED work.