IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Front License Plate, unsightly relocation hole... Large pics, sorry...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-14, 02:47 PM
wulfstan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Front License Plate, unsightly relocation hole... Large pics, sorry...

I don't know if this should be a DIY, since I didn't really do anything special... but if the mods want to move it, that's fine...

I decided when I bought our f-sport that I would not drill into the front bumper.

I opted to purchase a Grimmspeed License Plate Relocation kit.

I had seen on my other future cars site, that someone had re-used their tow hook cover and drilled out a hole in order to still have the cover functional and not be a unsightly hole where you could see the inner bumper and foam.

It is on the ft86club forum: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ighlight=plate

Our tow hook cover is not so straight forward and for some, dependent on the color, may look less than perfect.

So I took a 3/4 inch drill bit, and drilled out a starter hole in my tow hook cover. I then used a dremel mini drum sander and widened the hole little by little, going back to the car and fitting to the relocation bolt. Once I had the proper "oval" shape, I ensured proper torque of the relocation bolt. Installed the mounting brackets per manufacture instructions and being particular, ensured the plate was level. I have attached pictures and hope they speak for themselves, but will of course answer any questions anyone might have.

This was a weekend of change for me, with the F-sport color change key cases:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...or-change.html

Johnny

2014 Monogram Whiteout Scion FR-S (Ordered 1/12/14))

1985 Toyota Corolla GT-S Red Hatchback (AE86) 157k miles
1987 Toyota Supra Turbo Pearl White (MA70) 101k miles
Attached Thumbnails Front License Plate, unsightly relocation hole... Large pics, sorry...-img_4667.jpg   Front License Plate, unsightly relocation hole... Large pics, sorry...-img_4668.jpg   Front License Plate, unsightly relocation hole... Large pics, sorry...-img_4669.jpg   Front License Plate, unsightly relocation hole... Large pics, sorry...-img_4671.jpg  
Old 01-19-14, 02:50 PM
wulfstan
Rookie

Continuation...
Attached Thumbnails Front License Plate, unsightly relocation hole... Large pics, sorry...-img_4681.jpg   Front License Plate, unsightly relocation hole... Large pics, sorry...-img_4682.jpg   Front License Plate, unsightly relocation hole... Large pics, sorry...-img_4683.jpg   Front License Plate, unsightly relocation hole... Large pics, sorry...-img_4684.jpg  
Old 01-19-14, 02:55 PM
wulfstan
Rookie

And finally, its installed...
Attached Thumbnails Front License Plate, unsightly relocation hole... Large pics, sorry...-img_4690.jpg   Front License Plate, unsightly relocation hole... Large pics, sorry...-img_4692.jpg   Front License Plate, unsightly relocation hole... Large pics, sorry...-img_4693.jpg   Front License Plate, unsightly relocation hole... Large pics, sorry...-img_4694.jpg   Front License Plate, unsightly relocation hole... Large pics, sorry...-img_4695.jpg  

Old 01-19-14, 03:54 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Not really a fan of the offset look, but looks like it turned out nice and it will showcase the spindle grill in its full glory. Can you take a pic further away to get a better perspective?
Old 01-19-14, 03:55 PM
afdavey
Driver

I can appreciate your effort and all - I WILL NOT DO THAT to the front of my car.
I'll just pay the $42 fine in NJ if pulled over and write it off as a 'donation' to the town. Chances are going to be there will be 'other' reasons if I get pulled over and this would be an 'add on'.

I have three cars (2010 Camaro SS, 2012 MazdaSpeed 3, and the 2014 IS350 RWD F-sport) all without from plates. So far so good and I don't drive like an a-hole to attract attention...(not implying you do)

Last edited by afdavey; 01-19-14 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-19-14, 04:09 PM
wulfstan
Rookie

Cool

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Not really a fan of the offset look, but looks like it turned out nice and it will showcase the spindle grill in its full glory. Can you take a pic further away to get a better perspective?
I will take the pic tomorrow when it's light out...

Originally Posted by afdavey
I can appreciate your effort and all - I WILL NOT DO THAT to the front of my car.
I'll just pay the $42 fine in NJ if pulled over and write it off as a 'donation' to the town. Chances are going to be there will be 'other' reasons if I get pulled over and this would be an 'add on'.

I have three cars (2010 Camaro SS, 2012 MazdaSpeed 3, and the 2014 IS350 RWD F-sport) all without from plates. So far so good and I don't drive like an a-hole to attract attention...(not implying you do)
I got pulled over once for being a little too fast and they were going to tag on the extra, but got away with a warning since it's a brand new car, lucky me... Thanks for the kind words, nonetheless... If I weren't going back to California and if I didn't live in Virginia, in which both states require front plates, I would have just not put one on...

Ironically, my next car, 2014 Monogram FR-S, the TRD Body kit already accounts for the front plate...

Johnny

1985 Toyota Corolla GT-S Red Hatchback (AE86) 157k miles
1987 Toyota Supra Turbo Pearl White (MA70) 101k miles
Old 01-19-14, 04:33 PM
AMK6453
Driver School Candidate

this is a very good idea, I might copy that from you! thanks!
Old 01-19-14, 06:51 PM
Antnie2418
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is the best solution. I saw this on a M3 and once I get a ticket in CT for not having a front license plate. I will buy and install the mechanical version with a switch.

http://www.hidetheplate.com
Old 01-19-14, 09:45 PM
LexusFsprt
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to OP. I like it, it does look cleaner with the cover. Props to you!

Originally Posted by Antnie2418
This is the best solution. I saw this on a M3 and once I get a ticket in CT for not having a front license plate. I will buy and install the mechanical version with a switch.

WTF, that **** is sick!
Old 01-19-14, 10:21 PM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Glad to see you finally did this Johnny. Good effort.., ill have to think of something so that it's a bit more clean. Probably another 2-3 weeks before my plates will come so I'll give it a try then.
Old 01-20-14, 03:40 AM
wulfstan
Rookie

Cool

Originally Posted by Antnie2418

I would love to get this if I was into the car show scene, but since it's my wife's car and I still have yet to decide on a final front spoiler/lip, I didn't want to drill into the bumper or underside... yet... but yes, I do like this concept.

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
Glad to see you finally did this Johnny. Good effort.., ill have to think of something so that it's a bit more clean. Probably another 2-3 weeks before my plates will come so I'll give it a try then.
I am still on the lookout for a rubber grommet to act as a seal and to clean up my "oval" cuts... My first attempt at a rubber seal was to use a clear baby nipple, but needed to enlarge the hole even more... and I didn't want the ghetto look, although you can see by my "steady" hand that you can see it's not a perfect circle...

Originally Posted by AMK6453
this is a very good idea, I might copy that from you! thanks!
Imitation is the greatest form of compliment...

Originally Posted by LexusFsprt
to OP. I like it, it does look cleaner with the cover. Props to you!
Thanks and your welcome...

SIDE NOTE: I am glad to see that there are many people unopposed to thinking outside the box... This idea came out of the fact that I didn't want to lose the tow cover... at the same time, hide the inner bumper...

Thanks everyone...
Old 01-20-14, 12:33 PM
crazych42
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I will be replicating this when my car comes on. Thanks for the ideas Johnny.
Old 01-22-14, 01:26 PM
wulfstan
Rookie

Thumbs up UPDATED!!! only 3 days later... muah-hahahaha

So... after much dilemma...
I just couldn't stand that the circle I cut wasn't "straight".

I went to Home Depot and I found a rubber grommet... fitted it to the hole and voila, a very clean looking install that would make a factory proud...

Now the only question would be, do I plasti-dip it white to match or leave it black?

Thanks for all the comments, hope this will help others...Johnny

1985 Toyota Corolla GT-S Red Hatchback (AE86) 158k miles
1987 Toyota Supra Turbo Pearl White (MA70, MKIII) 101k miles
Attached Thumbnails Front License Plate, unsightly relocation hole... Large pics, sorry...-img_4718.jpg   Front License Plate, unsightly relocation hole... Large pics, sorry...-img_4719.jpg   Front License Plate, unsightly relocation hole... Large pics, sorry...-img_4721.jpg   Front License Plate, unsightly relocation hole... Large pics, sorry...-img_4723.jpg   Front License Plate, unsightly relocation hole... Large pics, sorry...-img_4722.jpg  

Old 01-22-14, 01:34 PM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wulfstan
So... after much dilemma...
I just couldn't stand that the circle I cut wasn't "straight".

I went to Home Depot and I found a rubber grommet... fitted it to the hole and voila, a very clean looking install that would make a factory proud...

Now the only question would be, do I plasti-dip it white to match or leave it black?

Thanks for all the comments, hope this will help others...Johnny
hey, that doesn't look half bad Johnny! Much cleaner than before. looks good bro! still waiting to test my idea, i'll report back in a couple weeks.

and to answer your question, i don't think anyone will walk up to it to see the back of your plate, so i would leave it as is.. but if you're OCD about it, then by all means go ahead and color match
Old 01-22-14, 01:54 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

whoa drilling that hole is scary, that cover is like $50-60 from sewell

Quick Reply: Front License Plate, unsightly relocation hole... Large pics, sorry...