IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Master Thread for 3IS Car Cover recommendations (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-14, 04:27 PM
Bisquick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Car Cover 2015 IS350 F Sport ?

Hello - First time post, and new owner. Hope to contribute to this forum with many future posts. My first order of business though is finding a quality car cover for my new IS. Apparently Lexus at this time does not make a perfect fit car cover for this ride. I see many aftermarket covers advertised on the net, but not sure what if any of you have tried? Yes, I can through a blanket on it, but looking for a quality cover in material and fit for this generation IS.

I have a cat in my garage, and he sometimes is known to hope on a warm hood, but that can lead to claw scratches over time. Thus the ask about car covers.

I hate to just roll the dice on a non-recommended brand, and find it is not good material (meaning it can scratch) and/or it is too small or way too large.
Old 11-26-14, 02:47 AM
jeffyffej
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bisquick
Hello - First time post, and new owner. Hope to contribute to this forum with many future posts. My first order of business though is finding a quality car cover for my new IS. Apparently Lexus at this time does not make a perfect fit car cover for this ride. I see many aftermarket covers advertised on the net, but not sure what if any of you have tried? Yes, I can through a blanket on it, but looking for a quality cover in material and fit for this generation IS.

I have a cat in my garage, and he sometimes is known to hope on a warm hood, but that can lead to claw scratches over time. Thus the ask about car covers.

I hate to just roll the dice on a non-recommended brand, and find it is not good material (meaning it can scratch) and/or it is too small or way too large.
Congrats on the new car and welcome! I would say you can look for the 2014 IS 250/350 car cover directly from Lexus, but beware it costs about $230 bucks. There aren't any major differences between the two. I've mostly been buying 2014 accessories and they fit fine with my 2015 IS. Someone else might have more insight. I personally just bought a car cover off amazon for 30 bucks and cover my car in a parking garage, since it's not my daily car.

Scratching is probably going to happen if you use most car covers, and that was something I was worried about as well. I usually wipe down my car with Meguiars Quik Detail before i cover it, but then again I got full paint protection film on the front Bumper, Whole hood, and side mirrors, so it won't really damage my paint. For the top of the car and the rear, so far I haven't seen any scratches.
Old 11-26-14, 05:13 AM
tC2IS350
Driver

I got my husband a Covercraft custom fit indoor cover for his car this past year, and it is the nicest car cover I have ever seen. They are pricey, but worth it. I ordered it from AutoAnything.com and had a great experience. They don't have any covercraft custom fit covers listed for the 2015 IS350 yet, but anything for a 2014 will fit just fine.
Old 11-26-14, 05:18 AM
IS1911
Driver

If the cat on the warm hood is your main concern then throwing a blanket on it is actually a better solution than buying a car cover especially if the car is your daily driver. Taking a car cover on and off every day is going to cause more damage than the cat. Car covers are mainly designed for "garage queens" in other words cars that are driven infrequently. When the cover is off the car it can trap dust and dirt which will scratch up your car as you put it on and take it off. They can be difficult to clean too because you can't throw them in a washing machine. Car covers may sound like a good idea but in reality they are impractical for most.

In a related topic cats also like to get into the engine bay so be sure and knock on your hood a few times or blow the horn before you start the car.
Old 11-26-14, 05:22 AM
tC2IS350
Driver

Originally Posted by IS1911
If the cat on the warm hood is your main concern then throwing a blanket on it is actually a better solution than buying a car cover especially if the car is your daily driver. Taking a car cover on and off every day is going to cause more damage than the cat. Car covers are mainly designed for "garage queens" in other words cars that are driven infrequently. When the cover is off the car it can trap dust and dirt which will scratch up your car as you put it on and take it off. They can be difficult to clean too because you can't throw them in a washing machine. Car covers may sound like a good idea but in reality they are impractical for most.

In a related topic cats also like to get into the engine bay so be sure and knock on your hood a few times or blow the horn before you start the car.
+1
I wasn't thinking about the fact that you meant you would be covering it in the garage on a daily basis. Only a clean car should be covered, or you will end up with tons of scratches.

Can you just keep the cat out of the garage?
Old 11-28-14, 05:07 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

I got mine off Ebay and it works perfectly, we had a cat problem as well and that was the same reason I got the car cover. I purchased the one for my GS here is a link for IS.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-2010-2011-2012-Lexus-IS250-IS350-Breathable-Car-Cover-w-MirrorPocket-/170891372414?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27c9eb677e&vxp=mtr
Old 11-28-14, 07:53 AM
Bisquick
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for all the advice. I drive it on weekends for now mostly to keep miles down as my daily commute is harsh.
FYI - I had called Lexus dealer prior to to this post, and they do not make a 2014 IS cover either as I knew it would be same.
Old 03-13-15, 11:34 AM
Zman1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car cover recommendations? Pollen season is coming ...

Hi, I'd like to keep my black on black 350 F sport as clean as possible. I had a nice cover on my black on black 300 zx tt - which was easy to put on & take off.

This car will be parked outside and the cover kept in the trunk - when not in use.

Thanks for any and all recommendations.
Old 03-14-15, 06:07 PM
Zman1
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like I better just wash frequently. Thanks.
Old 03-28-15, 06:54 AM
FireLexus
Rookie

Default Car Cover?

I'm building a new house, and I will be staying at the parents till its finished. Problem is they have a big tree in their drive way and and its always dropping crap. Can anyone recommend a good car cover that will keep her pretty and clean?

Thanks.
Old 03-29-15, 10:36 AM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Would they let you use a canopy? I'm against car covers, I think they do more harm than good! Probably scratch your paint!
Old 03-30-15, 04:30 AM
FireLexus
Rookie

Prob not. And the garage isn't open right now so I'm in a huge pickel
Old 03-31-15, 07:32 AM
rgonza1
Driver

Cover King is a great choice. As you are in the decision making process they will ship you samples of the different car covers (I think up to 6).
Old 11-19-15, 12:55 PM
JC_350
Driver School Candidate

Default recommendations for car cover for my IS350

I'm having some trouble finding a nice car cover for my car. Looking for some recommendations on some weather proof covers, hopefully not over too expensive. Pictures would be amazing. Thank you.
Old 08-07-17, 08:31 AM
TrueDat96
Driver

Default Car cover recommendations.

Does anyone have any car cover recommendations for a 2014 is250 f sport? Looking into getting one, thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Master Thread for 3IS Car Cover recommendations (merged threads)