IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Cadillac ATS vs. Lexus 350F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-14, 09:43 AM
bp044
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cadillac ATS vs. Lexus 350F Sport

The specs. , the magazine and the video reviews are similar. Either of the two cars have come out on top. Did you test drive the ATS before geting the 350 sport ? Why did you pick the 350 sport ?
I have never so much trouble deciding on anything
Old 01-18-14, 03:12 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Thing is, I went to cadillac and I test drove the new CTS, way after I got my IS. The guy told me there was no point even looking at the ATS as it was the lowest model they made. You can't compare it directly with the 350F sport. Different cost, different car. Maybe a 250 would be more fair... I can tell you my impression on CTS and CTS-V (previous gen) if that helps your decision in any way. It's a very nice car, hands down. The shifting has that similar direct feel and is pretty quick too, but just not as quick. The power feels great. The engine sounds a bit better than IS, no whine like on the IS, just a stronger tone to it. The interior is very well built and the seats are amazing, especially those headrests (fsport headrests feel like books behind your head with a thin leather cover). I was speechless. I thought if I drove one prior to getting my car, I would have considered it for sure. I also drove the CTS-V back to back, and that was a monster, but that interior makes so many rattles and squeaks, it was a bit of a joke. And the giant brembo's are useless on the street. If they aren't hot, they don't grab. The new CTS is a huge step up from that gen. for sure. And it's a very smooth car, just what cadillac is all about, with a small touch of sportiness. So then I got back into my IS, drove off the lot, and it just felt right to me, and I realized I made the right decision in the first place. The shifting felt better. The steering was sharper. The looks (in my opinion) are nicer with more potential for modding overall than the cts. And the interior just looks so unique that hardly any car can match that in terms of look. Similar thing happened when I drove the new audi S4. As much as I liked it and was partially regretting not driving it before, I came to my senses right when I drove off the lot. There is just something about the IS, or lexus in general, that other cars don't have. The quality overall is no better than the cadillac (initially) and audi, and in fact, in some ways a bit worse, and the power is similar, but there is that sharpness I really like on the IS, and that was really obvious once you jump from another car back into yours. And knowing that the car will last and have no issues is a good feeling. I think lexus really wanted to prove something with the new IS, and I think they nailed it. It may not appeal to everyone initially, but I can tell you that nearly every person on the street looks at it, some walk by and take pictures, some ask questions, and that's enough to get people thinking about it. Then they come home and say "hmm, that car wasn't actually as bad looking as I thought or was made to believe". And then they go drive one just out of curiosity. And after that there is no way out. Once I drove mine I knew I wanted to get one. So that's what Lexus has accomplished here...An attention grabber that can actually back it up.

Last edited by TheShaddix; 01-18-14 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-18-14, 03:24 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

I don't dig the look of both ATS and CTS. They just look like grandpa's car.
Old 01-18-14, 03:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Thes salesman, like most car salesmen, has no idea what he's talking about. The ATS compares very well with the IS, the CTS compares to the GS.

A 3.6 ATS is a very viable contender to an IS350.
Old 01-18-14, 03:45 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShaddix
Thing is, I went to cadillac and I test drove the new CTS, way after I got my IS. The guy told me there was no point even looking at the ATS as it was the lowest model they made. You can't compare it directly with the 350F sport. Different cost, different car. Maybe a 250 would be more fair... I can tell you my impression on CTS and CTS-V (previous gen) if that helps your decision in any way. It's a very nice car, hands down. The shifting has that similar direct feel and is pretty quick too, but just not as quick. The power feels great. The engine sounds a bit better than IS, no whine like on the IS, just a stronger tone to it. The interior is very well built and the seats are amazing, especially those headrests (fsport headrests feel like books behind your head with a thin leather cover). I was speechless. I thought if I drove one prior to getting my car, I would have considered it for sure. I also drove the CTS-V back to back, and that was a monster, but that interior makes so many rattles and squeaks, it was a bit of a joke. And the giant brembo's are useless on the street. If they aren't hot, they don't grab. The new CTS is a huge step up from that gen. for sure. And it's a very smooth car, just what cadillac is all about, with a small touch of sportiness. So then I got back into my IS, drove off the lot, and it just felt right to me, and I realized I made the right decision in the first place. The shifting felt better. The steering was sharper. The looks (in my opinion) are nicer with more potential for modding overall than the cts. And the interior just looks so unique that hardly any car can match that in terms of look. Similar thing happened when I drove the new audi S4. As much as I liked it and was partially regretting not driving it before, I came to my senses right when I drove off the lot. There is just something about the IS, or lexus in general, that other cars don't have. The quality overall is no better than the cadillac (initially) and audi, and in fact, in some ways a bit worse, and the power is similar, but there is that sharpness I really like on the IS, and that was really obvious once you jump from another car back into yours. And knowing that the car will last and have no issues is a good feeling. I think lexus really wanted to prove something with the new IS, and I think they nailed it. It may not appeal to everyone initially, but I can tell you that nearly every person on the street looks at it, some walk by and take pictures, some ask questions, and that's enough to get people thinking about it. Then they come home and say "hmm, that car wasn't actually as bad looking as I thought or was made to believe". And then they go drive one just out of curiosity. And after that there is no way out. Once I drove mine I knew I wanted to get one. So that's what Lexus has accomplished here...An attention grabber that can actually back it up.
And you believed him? With the addition of the ATS, the CTS is no longer a tweener. It is now a full midsize competitive to the 5, E, A6, GS, XF. The ATS is fully on par with the IS250/350 (and C-Class, 3-Series, A4) with 2.5L, 2.0T and 3.6L mills. An ATS 3.6 with optional Track Performance Package is the most direct competitive version to the IS350 F-Sport. Throw in a few more options that are standard features on the IS and the ATS 3.6 is marginally more but with a few more features such as HUD and Adaptive cruise. Some salespersons and their "product knowledge"

edit: SW13GS beat me to it
Old 01-18-14, 04:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
A
edit: SW13GS beat me to it
Booyah my friend
Old 01-18-14, 05:12 PM
VGer
Rookie

Default This sums it up...

Originally Posted by bp044
The specs. , the magazine and the video reviews are similar. Either of the two cars have come out on top. Did you test drive the ATS before geting the 350 sport ? Why did you pick the 350 sport ?
I have never so much trouble deciding on anything
This sums it up nicely:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test
Old 01-18-14, 08:36 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, I asked him 5 times if he were sure that I shouldn't at least test drive an ATS. He said it's a waste of time and that I wouldn't like it. And I kept coming back to it because I do like how they look. Regardless, though, I'd still rather get something else if it weren't for the lexus. Cadillac (to me) still is an older person car, not a car you want to modify extensively like the IS. Feel free to disagree.
Old 01-18-14, 09:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, I asked him 5 times if he were sure that I shouldn't at least test drive an ATS. He said it's a waste of time and that I wouldn't like it. And I kept coming back to it because I do like how they look. Regardless, though, I'd still rather get something else if it weren't for the lexus. Cadillac (to me) still is an older person car, not a car you want to modify extensively like the IS. Feel free to disagree.
My guess is the salesman wanted you to drive the CTS because he felt being a size larger he might be able to flip you out of your IS into it. The ATS is a great car...I would seriously consider one over an IS.

Cadillac's image is something they are working on. It is certainly not an old persons car, the CTS and ATS are great sport sedans.
Old 01-18-14, 10:39 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
My guess is the salesman wanted you to drive the CTS because he felt being a size larger he might be able to flip you out of your IS into it. The ATS is a great car...I would seriously consider one over an IS.

Cadillac's image is something they are working on. It is certainly not an old persons car, the CTS and ATS are great sport sedans.
Cadillac, Lexus and Jaguar
Old 01-18-14, 11:41 PM
Celsius
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dojoman
i don't dig the look of both ats and cts. They just look like grandpa's car.
+11111111111:d
Old 01-19-14, 02:14 AM
Tim1988
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Thes salesman, like most car salesmen, has no idea what he's talking about. The ATS compares very well with the IS, the CTS compares to the GS.

A 3.6 ATS is a very viable contender to an IS350.
No it really isn't.

The ATS will break down within 2 years. Is this a joke? ATS is not comparable to Lexus. It's an AMERICAN BOX. It looks ugly, it looks like a box Grandpa drives.

I'm sorry........Lexus don't even consider Cadillac as a competitor.
Cadillac's 'price range' might be in the IS/GS/LS range.. but in reality they are competing against Infiniti/Acura.

Nobody considers Cadillac a viable threat to Lexus and the ATS will not come close to scaring the IS.

It's also horrible in terms of visibility. If you own a ATS.. please trade it in for a Lexus.

Or at least make sure you lease it.
Old 01-19-14, 03:03 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Yeah, I asked him 5 times if he were sure that I shouldn't at least test drive an ATS. He said it's a waste of time and that I wouldn't like it. .

How would he know what you like or don't like? Truth is, he was afraid you'd immediately know your IS is a better overall car and you'd walk away never to return.
Old 01-19-14, 05:13 AM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ATS is pretty much the only car in this class I didn't drive. I really wanted to especially since so many review sites praised its handling.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...n-65-3-roa1013

But I just could not get past the styling. Looks old and outdated. And the way practically every review site trashed it's Nav system seemed to give further reason. Though I fully admit I should have test drove it myself. It does surprise me that both the Q50 and ATS3.6 are lighter and have more HP than the IS350 but yet are almost the same in 0-60 and quarter mile with meaningless difference. Not sure what magic Lexus wove but both of those cars should be at least a half a second faster.

Those small differences aside, I think either way you are going to end up with a great car. There are gripes with each car just like there are many awesome things to love. If you are having a hard time deciding than test drive the cars you are deciding between on the same day. If they want your business they will let you test drive them as much as you want in the same day. Though specifics are hazy, I think one guy here stated he test drove two cars at least 3 times in the same day.

But go with your gut. The one that draws you more and has you thinking about it more as you will be happier that way. I think most of us make up our minds quickly but refuse to accept it and think we must explore all permutations before we believe it.
Old 01-19-14, 07:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tim1988
No it really isn't.

The ATS will break down within 2 years. Is this a joke? ATS is not comparable to Lexus. It's an AMERICAN BOX. It looks ugly, it looks like a box Grandpa drives.

I'm sorry........Lexus don't even consider Cadillac as a competitor.
Cadillac's 'price range' might be in the IS/GS/LS range.. but in reality they are competing against Infiniti/Acura.

Nobody considers Cadillac a viable threat to Lexus and the ATS will not come close to scaring the IS.
First of all, lets ignore the fact that just yesterday you chose the ATS as one of the top best looking cars under 45k in your own thread!

Here's the quote:

Originally Posted by Tim1988
What is the best looking car(exterior) in the 34k-43k Segment
For me it's:
New TLX
G 37
ATS
Q50
Yet, now its an "UGLY AMERICAN BOX that Grandpa drives. You had the opportunity to select the IS in your thoughts but instead you chose the ATS, two Infinitis and an Acura...yet here now you're saying that Cadillac competes with Acura and Infiniti but is somehow below Lexus. What are you really doing here?

To address your comment that Cadillac does not compete with Lexus...this is as crazy as your insinuations that BMW and Mercedes are a "**** stain" on the automobile industry.

I promise you Lexus does consider the ATS as a competitor. Read the reviews, the ATS is always included on small sport sedan comparisons. Drive the car, its a similar size, price and performance car to the IS. Its a direct competitor. As for the ATS breaking down in 2 years...theres no evidence out there that reliability of modern Cadillacs is poor. Any car will last longer than 2 years. Having driven both cars I personally would select the ATS over the IS. Its a little less boy racerish, I prefer the interior which is more luxurious. Its a great car you should drive one.

Just the other day I was at a dinner at the Country Club of a guy I do business with. Waiting for our cars to be pulled around the guy in front of mine had a new CTS. We were chatting about it and he traded a BMW 5 Series in on it and absolutely loves it. I have another coworker who traded an ES in on his previous generation CTS and absolutely loves it. He's had it like 5 years now and has had no problems.

Motor Trend car of the year this year? Cadillac CTS.

Cadillac is for real, and they are absolutely a competitor to Lexus in the IS, GS & RX class. Lexus is aware, I promise you.

Styling is subjective, but I don't see Grandpa driving this...maybe your Grandpa was a whole lot more youthful than mine:

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-19-14 at 07:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Cadillac ATS vs. Lexus 350F Sport