IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Cadillac ATS vs. Lexus 350F Sport

Old 01-21-14, 03:31 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBFSPORT
When did anyone say you can't voice your opinion ? Just because there are some owners who actually love their cars and don't want an Audi S4 doesn't mean we aren't allowing others to express thier opinions. I am not just saying that the Lexus IS interior is better than the Audi S4 because I own a Lexus IS. Rather it is the other way around. I own a Lexus IS because it is a better all around sports sedan than the S4 and the interior is the best in it's class. You respond as if those of us with positive view points of our own car didn't shop around for other cars in the class but rather we just blindly bought a Lexus. This is not the case. Again I bought an IS 350 F Sport because after hours of research and test drives it was the best. Again I am very sorry you don't love your car but don't claim that we are Lexus fanboys who don't let others have a difference of opinion because you can't afford an S4. It is a two way street my friend. We are all entitled to love or hate the car equally.

P.S. The rattles comment . Does your car have any? Or was that just a hypothetical comment??
It is getting interesting, isn't it? If you read carefully the statement which I quoted in my reply you will see that there was a clear implication that Lexus has best in class interior and others just don't come close. Moreover, it is said there that saying otherwise on this forum is not understood and this to me looks criticizing members for giving an opinion about Lexus. I am not forcing my opinion to others - I am just sharing. And that is the key. Again please read carefully the statement which I quoted.

The center console does rattle especially on bumps, sudden stops, accelerations and change of directions. Not that bad, tolerable at this point but I am afraid it can get worse.
Old 01-21-14, 04:02 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by salvadorik
It is getting interesting, isn't it? If you read carefully the statement which I quoted in my reply you will see that there was a clear implication that Lexus has best in class interior and others just don't come close. Moreover, it is said there that saying otherwise on this forum is not understood and this to me looks criticizing members for giving an opinion about Lexus. I am not forcing my opinion to others - I am just sharing. And that is the key. Again please read carefully the statement which I quoted.

The center console does rattle especially on bumps, sudden stops, accelerations and change of directions. Not that bad, tolerable at this point but I am afraid it can get worse.
Firstly, I do agree the interior is a bit rattly in some areas, no denying that unfortunately. I have almost pinpointed all the rattles, and as stupid as it sounds, I like fixing stuff like that. I do not mind them as much as I did on my other cars because when you like so many things about a car, it's easy to live with some negative things, just like in marriage I guess.

Also, you slightly misunderstood what I was trying to say. To me, the 3IS interior is the best I've seen so far for the money out of all the cars I've owned and tested prior to getting the lexus (again). So this is my opinion I wanted to express about the car I chose. And what I said at the end was why would someone argue here about this car instead of simply trading it in for the one they will truly appreciate? I wasn't telling anyone not to argue, I just said it was a waste of time, on your end...Writing, replying, etc. When all that time could be put into another car. I appreciate my car for its good and its not so good details, but you don't hear me rattle about how I would like to have another car instead. I would just quietly join another forum of the car of my desire and lurk there, find out as much as possible about that car and make my decision respectively. I would not, however, stay and post on the forum of the car I do not like just to say the same thing on and on. No one is telling you not to voice your opinion. It's just completely irrelevant to those of us who own the car already and are modding it happily. For me, and for many others, it's too late to back out, at least for now. And I personally just modify what I don't like about the car. I don't complain about the handling, I replace the suspension. If it understeers, I change my wheel setup. If it's too quiet (which it is), I change that. There is a huge difference between the mentality/view of someone who got this car to mod it and someone simply just wanting the ultimate car in this price range. And I do understand you. To be honest, I wouldn't be 100% happy with the stock IS either. But that applies to every car on the market (for me). Feel free to voice your opinion, we will gladly listen and comment. But don't be surprised if you receive equally open opinions, about our cars, about the other cars, and about your own opinion.

Last edited by TheShaddix; 01-21-14 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-21-14, 04:23 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TheShaddix
Firstly, I do agree the interior is a bit rattly in some areas, no denying that unfortunately. I have almost pinpointed all the rattles, and as stupid as it sounds, I like fixing stuff like that. I do not mind them as much as I did on my other cars because when you like so many things about a car, it's easy to live with some negative things, just like in marriage I guess.

Also, you slightly misunderstood what I was trying to say. To me, the 3IS interior is the best I've seen so far for the money out of all the cars I've owned and tested prior to getting the lexus (again). So this is my opinion I wanted to express about the car I chose. And what I said at the end was why would someone argue here about this car instead of simply trading it in for the one they will truly appreciate? I wasn't telling anyone not to argue, I just said it was a waste of time, on your end...Writing, replying, etc. When all that time could be put into another car. I appreciate my car for its good and its not so good details, but you don't hear me rattle about how I would like to have another car instead. I would just quietly join another forum of the car of my desire and lurk there, find out as much as possible about that car and make my decision respectively. I would not, however, stay and post on the forum of the car I do not like just to say the same thing on and on. No one is telling you not to voice your opinion. It's just completely irrelevant to those of us who own the car already and are modding it happily. For me, and for many others, it's too late to back out, at least for now. And I personally just modify what I don't like about the car. I don't complain about the handling, I replace the suspension. If it understeers, I change my wheel setup. If it's too quiet (which it is), I change that. There is a huge difference between the mentality/view of someone who got this car to mod it and someone simply just wanting the ultimate car in this price range. And I do understand you. To be honest, I wouldn't be 100% happy with the stock IS either. But that applies to every car on the market (for me). Feel free to voice your opinion, we will gladly listen and comment. But don't be surprised if you receive equally open opinions, about our cars, about the other cars, and about your own opinion.

I slightly disagree with you on a notion where one should stay passive if certain aspects of the vehicle does not excite the same one. This is because it is a damn good piece of information for a potential buyer who checks this form. Also, it is (perhaps I am wrong) a good source for a manufacturer to learn about the complaints that the current owners have. That theoretically should result in improvements in subsequent models however optimist it may sound. That is/was my main point.
Old 01-21-14, 04:30 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gotcha I should have read what he wrote more thoroughly but now that I did....I agree with what he said. What is the point of continually posting about how you think the S4 is better? Seriously I would never waste my time to post on this forum if that was how I felt. I would make it my buisness to figure out how to properly get out of my IS and Into the car I truly love. Posting about it over and over again is beating a dead horse. If you don't like the car do something about it but posting all the time about the S4 being a better sedan isn't helping your situation at all and I sure as hell can't make you love this car like I love it!

Last edited by BOBFSPORT; 01-21-14 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-21-14, 04:41 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Gotcha I should have read what he wrote more thoroughly but now that I did....I agree with what he said. What is the point of continually posting about how you think the S4 is better? Seriously I would never waste my time to post on this forum if that was how I felt. I would make it my buisness to figure out how to properly get out of my IS and Into the car I truly love. Posting about it over and over again is not only beating a dead horse but also cause you to delve further into your own feelings of buyers remorse. If you don't like the car do something about it but posting all the time about the S4 being a better sedan isn't helping your situation at all and I sure as hell can't make you love this car like I love it!
Where did you see me mentioning S4 on this thread (Ironically you mentioned it more than I did lol) ? My main point was and is that it is not proper only to share positives about the cars that we own. The more genuine and balanced approach creates a better learning environment for all of us.
Old 01-21-14, 04:59 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Where did you see me mentioning S4 on this thread (Ironically you mentioned it more than I did lol) ? My main point was and is that it is not proper only to share positives about the cars that we own. The more genuine and balanced approach creates a better learning environment for all of us.
You've mentioned the S4 being the car you would have bought if money wasn't a factor in another thread. I apologize if I am assuming wrong by saying that it is the car you really wanted? I completely agree that voicing negatives and positives creates a better learning environment and I wouldn't want it any other way. I guess I would enjoy starting a thread "what does salvadorik actually like about his IS350?" (Over an Audi)
Old 01-21-14, 05:00 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The more genuine and balanced approach creates a better learning environment for all of us.
I completely agree with this sentiment.

I think there is a misdirection of ideas here. Many here, who love their car, have also pointed out flaws in the same car. No one is stating it is all rainbows and pretty ponies the second you step into a Lexus. Stating flaws and moving on is one thing.

I think what Bob and Shaddix are addressing are the people who constantly say Car X is better than the IS. We get it, those people really love Car X ...so why didn't they buy Car X? Why are they here talking about the car they appearently hate? There are some people on this forum who spit nothing but fire and discontent. Granted most of them don't even own the car, which is another form of trolling, but there are a couple here who own the car that can't seem to find compliment in any of their posts. It makes you wonder if they even test drove the car before buying it because some of the complaints should have been noticeable in the first few minutes with the car and others are beyond petty.

I agree pointing out flaws is quite useful and some (the Nav issue) are solid complaints. But like you said, balance must be struck on both sides ...and most of the nay sayers here aren't even IS owners. I know I've stated faults with the vehicle (see Corrado's things you discovered thread) in more than a few posts. That said, if someone says something I just flat out disagree with than I'm going to disagree because just like a potential buyer deserves to know its good points and faults they also don't deserve to be lead astray by misleading information.
Old 01-21-14, 05:18 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

You've mentioned the S4 being the car you would have bought if money wasn't a factor in another thread. I apologize if I am assuming wrong by saying that it is the car you really wanted? I completely agree that voicing negatives and positives creates a better learning environment and I wouldn't want it any other way. I guess would enjoy starting a thread "what does salvadorik actually like about his IS350?" (Over an Audi)
lol you are funny! okey okey I am ranting now but I am pretty sure it will get better down the road. I never owned the Lexus and after Audi there are so many things do not seem right to me. I agree I am a bit prejudiced toward Audi. But hey you put a good question though! Here are the likes:

1. Cheaper price
2. A LOOOOT better reliability
3. More balanced chassis
4. More comfortable front seats
5. Cheaper maintenance cost
6. Better resale value
7. Less cost of ownership (which tied to point #1, #2, #5 and #6)

As you probably noticed most of the points above have to do with "yes-it-is-a-financially-prudent-choice-to-make" and there is nothing wrong with it. 3IS meets most of the important driver's expectations from the car. It just does not have, however, that spark or a magic that German cars provide, at least this is how I feel.

PS: I am sorry for hijacking this thread. Lets get back to original topic.

Last edited by salvadorik; 01-21-14 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-21-14, 05:36 PM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chris2k5
The fact that you posted that really sums up your insecurity about Lexus. Shame some Lexus owners are like that.
Umm, who is the Q50 owner coming to the Lexus forum to put down the IS? As an owner who is confident about their car, let the car speak for themselves. The ones like you who are insecure needs to bash the other cars to feel better. It's fine. That is your personality. But look at it this way, you don't see us IS owners saying our cars are better on the Q50 forums. Why? We don't feel better doing so because we know the IS is the better car. Enjoy your car. I am enjoying mine.

Last edited by IS350S2K; 01-21-14 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-21-14, 06:17 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the lack of spark is something I can kind of agree on, but also disagree at the same time. What I like about bmw and audi is the engine, and the reason to that is only the fact it's forced induction, so it's very fun to drive due to its low end torque and a nice kick, plus their exhausts are WAY nicer sounding and have that deep growl to them, which adds that special spark. Germans know this and they nail it every time with their cars. Their NA e90 m3 is also great, but so is the ISF, so these cars shouldn't be discussed...But here is an interesting detail...When I drive the IS, I really like the instant torque, not much of it, but it's there and it's fun when you step on it around 4-5k and it just jumps forward. Saying that is not fun, and that there is no spark in that would be a lie...The ONLY things I would change about how the IS feels are: add 50 more hp (and that's really optional for those who crave it), and make it sound more alive because if it weren't for the fake sound generator on the intake, the car would be silent. There is no exhaust tone whatsoever. And Matt (the reviewer) even mentioned that fact which is true. Now, that's where my statement about the different perspectives comes in. If you mod your car, you will add that missing spark with a few mods. Everyone who mods their cars knows the feeling when you get a proper exhaust. You will not stop smiling. It will be going from no spark to a huge spark instantly. And for the looks... you will love your car forever if you do a proper wheel and suspension setup. Your neck will be sore from looking back at your car once you park it and walk away. Take all that, add the undeniable lexus reliability factor to the package, and you really do get the BEST bang for your buck in this current market. In a few years, I don't know. Today, yes, there is no doubt. It's like going out with a nice, simple girl from a good family who just needs that one time to dress up and you will be speechless, vs. a girl who already is exciting but you don't know if she is gonna stick around or leave you tomorrow. I think that's the best way to think of Lexus. You get a car to keep for a long time, and you have the ability to add that spark (or not). Now, if you don't mod your car, then yes, you really do have to choose wisely right from the get go to get that missing spark you speak of, otherwise what ends up happening is unhappy posts. It's funny though, all I think about is how I wanna mod it more and how exciting it is to have a car I can finally connect with and treat well, and all you think about is how you "might have" chosen the wrong car and are not too excited about that. That's why I agree and disagree with you. I'm writing a lot here not to defend the car, but to just express how I feel about it. And I'm sure a lot of guys here will relate, seeing their build threads. Every time i see an update in that section, it's fun to see another person enjoying their car, even if it's just some dome light bulbs...I hope you get the car you will be happy with, man, it's all about how you feel, no one can argue that with you.

Last edited by TheShaddix; 01-21-14 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-21-14, 06:26 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TheShaddix
It's like going out with a nice, simple girl from a good family who just needs that one time to dress up and you will be speechless, vs. a girl who already is exciting but you don't know if she is gonna stick around or leave you tomorrow.
Man, this sounds very romantic
Old 01-21-14, 06:51 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Slust
I completely agree with this sentiment.

I think there is a misdirection of ideas here. Many here, who love their car, have also pointed out flaws in the same car. No one is stating it is all rainbows and pretty ponies the second you step into a Lexus. Stating flaws and moving on is one thing.
Bingo. I don't see any IS owner here saying their car is the greatest ever and it doesn't have opportunities. What we have seen for MONTHS are people saying the same things about the IS, mainly the interior, and not talking about the drive. WHAT ABOUT HOW THE CAR DRIVES?

Interenetz is funny. It used to be all about the drive. Lexus always had a good interior and that didn't really matter, the drive did. Now that Lexus has the best drive arguably, people have now jumped to other reasons to bash the car.

You want a recap from the internet on the new sporty Lexus the last couple of years?

IS-ignore its handling, focus on looks, interior and some features missing and bash
GS-ignore its handling and interior, focus on looks, lack of V-8 and bash
ISF-ignore that it laps some tracks as fast/faster than the M3, focus on the tailpipes and bash
RC F-ignore the rear torque vectoring, more power than the M4, focus on the looks and bash
LFA-ignore that every single review calls it one of the best cars ever made, focus on looks, price and bash

So you got to tune it out and ignore a lot of it. Lexus has answered the very haters and naysayers about how the cars used to drive, now they are super quiet about Lexus driving so good or they have jumped to other things and moved the goalposts. I've seen it all on forums the last 13 years.

Let them talk, let us enjoy the drive and ownership.
Old 01-21-14, 08:34 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Man, this sounds very romantic
Haha yea thats taking it a little too far. Its never been my style to worry about a woman leaving me. I also don't agree about this car is great BUT it needs mods...thats BS. You either are a modder or your not and will do so regardless of the package. Modding is more so something that keeps some enthusiasts engaged and excited about a car. If you feel that a car needs modding to complete the package and the others don't.Then,well, those cars are better. The intake noise isn't "fake" either it is simply piped into the cabin. Yes i do agree with Matt Farah the car can use some sticky tires, tints, and yes Lexus mutes its exhaust note. Why? i have no clue but if i thought it was a deal breaker i wouldn't have bought the car. The intake noise is just fine with me and i don't care if the car is loud to those outside. I do agree that the "thing" you enjoy about german cars is most likely the forced induction engine. No doubt they are more fun low end. Again though as Matt Farah said handling/suspension first and engine after. The Germans have it all *** backwards and continually throw more power at a lousy suspension and poor electronic steering and the result is a poor handling fast sedan. I love this car just the way it is and no car is perfect. I am sure within the next few years we will see a forced induction 3.0 and this car will be ideal to all....except for a few mods...Joking!

Last edited by BOBFSPORT; 01-21-14 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-22-14, 01:25 PM
bp044
Driver School Candidate

lol you are funny! okey okey I am ranting now but I am pretty sure it will get better down the road. I never owned the Lexus and after Audi there are so many things do not seem right to me. I agree I am a bit prejudiced toward Audi. But hey you put a good question though! Here are the likes:

1. Cheaper price
2. A LOOOOT better reliability
3. More balanced chassis
4. More comfortable front seats
5. Cheaper maintenance cost
6. Better resale value
7. Less cost of ownership (which tied to point #1, #2, #5 and #6)

As you probably noticed most of the points above have to do with "yes-it-is-a-financially-prudent-choice-to-make" and there is nothing wrong with it. 3IS meets most of the important driver's expectations from the car. It just does not have, however, that spark or a magic that German cars provide, at least this is how I feel.

PS: I am sorry for hijacking this thread. Lets get back to original topic.
The original topic as posted by me was "Cadillac vs.Lexus 350F sport.

The two reasons I posted #1 in my opinion and from reviews I have read they are the mostly competitive with each other. This is true when tested along side the BMW F30 which does not do very well against the ATs and the F350 # 2 I really like the looks and interior of the 350. But the ATS dealers are so much easier to deal with. You can order the car with minimum extras because the base 3.6 premium includes seat and mirror memory, leather seats heads up display. You can also get a good discount on custom ordered cars which I have not seen from Lexus dealers
Having said all that I still would consider the 350 if I had a push in that direction
Old 01-22-14, 07:39 PM
hnq
Driver School Candidate

Just came back from test driving both the Lexus and the Cadillac. Frankly, the interior quality of the Cadillac is just horrendous compared to the IS. It seems to be covered entirely in fake rubber which looks like leather but isn't. When the car started the engine gave a fairly strong judder and the whole car shook slightly. The Lexus is a lot smoother and the interior quality is far superior to the Cadillac's, plus it has much better seats. Also, the dealership experience alone would sell me on the Lexus over the Caddy... Cadillac dealer didn't seem any different than my local Chevy dealer.
As for handling, the steering on the Cadillac felt better but the overall ride goes to the F sport's adjustable dampers. Didn't try the magnetic suspension. Also, the gauges on the Caddy are just straight from the GM parts bin. Can't compare to the Lexus. As a car to own and daily drive, the Lexus wins all the time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cadillac ATS vs. Lexus 350F Sport