IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Rattling Issues ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-14, 01:10 PM
LexusFsprt
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rattling Issues ?

Is anyone else experiencing any rattling sounds in the interior of any kind?

I have for instance, the front passenger seatbelt holder rattles whenever going on bumps or just a rough road. I did play with it to see what was wrong or anything loose, no luck.

Another rattling sound I've been hearing was from the sub in the back. Behind the backseat headrest, keeps rattling whenever a rap song or any genre of music with nice bass kicks in. I have no ML package. Mind you, I have my tremble to max, mid at 2 bars under max, bass at 2 bars under max, and the rattling starts around volume 30. I feel as if something is loose under there. About to download a bass test onto my phone to play through bluetooth, but don't want to blow out my sub at the same time.

anyone try to solve this problem if you are experiencing it?
Old 01-16-14, 02:27 PM
505Guy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a different kind of rattles, it's coming from the engine. Feels like my engine mounts are broken. I drove it har since day 1 though lol
Old 01-16-14, 04:44 PM
VGer
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexusFsprt
Is anyone else experiencing any rattling sounds in the interior of any kind?

I have for instance, the front passenger seatbelt holder rattles whenever going on bumps or just a rough road. I did play with it to see what was wrong or anything loose, no luck.

Another rattling sound I've been hearing was from the sub in the back. Behind the backseat headrest, keeps rattling whenever a rap song or any genre of music with nice bass kicks in. I have no ML package. Mind you, I have my tremble to max, mid at 2 bars under max, bass at 2 bars under max, and the rattling starts around volume 30. I feel as if something is loose under there. About to download a bass test onto my phone to play through bluetooth, but don't want to blow out my sub at the same time.

anyone try to solve this problem if you are experiencing it?
Noted both of these today, except I do have the ML package, to me though the speaker rattle seems to come more from the front. Volume level around 38.
Old 01-16-14, 11:09 PM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

No rattle at all. But my sound settings is a lot different from yours. Treble +2 mid 0 bas +3 (with ML).
Old 01-17-14, 05:43 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

seat belt holder doesn't rattle for me, but the 'T' shaped clip when hanging freely (the one you buckle into your seat) does rattle everyone once in a while going over a bump, which is expected.

for the sound, my setup is
treble: 0
mid: +1
bass: +2
auto equalizer: on
surround sound: on
Old 01-17-14, 12:33 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have to admit, this is the most rattle ridden car I've had so far, but somehow i'm just willing to accept that and hoping one day I will fix all the rattles! I fixed one which was a plastic panel slightly loose near the bottom of the steering wheel column, and that was one of the happiest finds and fixes I've ever had. Now there are like 5 more coming from every which way, can't even pinpoint them anymore. It's like pulling out gray hair...Get rid of one, 10 more show up next day.
Old 01-17-14, 01:05 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShaddix
I have to admit, this is the most rattle ridden car I've had so far, but somehow i'm just willing to accept that and hoping one day I will fix all the rattles! I fixed one which was a plastic panel slightly loose near the bottom of the steering wheel column, and that was one of the happiest finds and fixes I've ever had. Now there are like 5 more coming from every which way, can't even pinpoint them anymore. It's like pulling out gray hair...Get rid of one, 10 more show up next day.

Check out these fixes, and might partially help the OP. It has helped me.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...vers-side.html

Now if only I can resolve the odd squeak when the car's frozen, but I'm OK with that since I have yet to own a squeak-free car at sub-zero temps.
Old 01-17-14, 02:00 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

The 3IS/RC as well RC F for that matter will have tendency to rattle. The main problem is this plastic center console that IMO is a poor design.
Old 01-17-14, 02:21 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

No rattling in mine. My key chain rattles though.
Old 01-17-14, 02:31 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

No rattles in mine, either, though I really feel for you guys who are going through it. Rattles are the worst.
Old 03-27-15, 11:54 AM
Onz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VGer
Noted both of these today, except I do have the ML package, to me though the speaker rattle seems to come more from the front. Volume level around 38.

I also have noticed a rattle coming from the centre back speaker as well as a rattle from the drivers door with bass. Taking it in to the dealer next week for them to look at.
Old 03-31-15, 07:45 AM
Onz
Driver School Candidate

So the dealer is replacing the subwoofer under warranty. They checked the speaker casing, insulation, etc. and determined it was the actual sub itself. They also found noise coming from the interior covers in the trunk which they insulated along with insulating the trunk lid tension rods (they found a rattle in the support clip) and the license plate. Unfortunately I have no pics of what they did.

Last edited by Onz; 04-01-15 at 06:33 AM.
Old 03-31-15, 01:16 PM
alvinklee
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Onz
So the dealer is replacing the subwoofer under warranty. They checked the speaker casing, insulation, etc. and determined it was the actual sub itself.
How about the door handle?

Thanks,

Alvin
Old 03-31-15, 01:36 PM
Onz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by alvinklee
How about the door handle?

Thanks,

Alvin

They couldn't hear the door rattle - we've just emerged from the harsh Canadian winter so they figured the plastic was constricting from the cold and now its not. I'll have to wait and see if the rattle comes back.