IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Strange / Terrible Problem w/ Scrolling Radio Presets!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-14, 07:17 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strange Problem w/ Scrolling Radio Presets!?

Difficult to explain, but here it goes:

I have 12 radio presets (2 Pages of 6 Presets).

It doesn’t matter if I use the track / seek button on the radio or the one on steering wheel, but If my navigation screen is not on the radio screen showing the presets (i.e.: I'm on a navigation map screen) and I’m scrolling through the presets (I have 10 FM presets followed by 1 AM preset followed by 1 SAT preset) and I’m pressing the right track / seek button on the radio or the down button on the steering wheel, I’m able to go from the presets on Page 1 to those on Page 2, but the following happens(!?)…

When I scroll down the preset list, my radio gets stuck on Satellite Radio when I reach the SAT preset and I’m stuck scrolling through different Satellite Radio stations instead of continuing through my presets (when I reach the bottom of Page 2 it should jump to the top of Page 1, but it doesn't), and it doesn’t matter if I scroll to the left or back up, as I’m stuck in Satellite Radio mode!?

Also, if I scroll down just enough to get to my 1 AM preset and scroll back up (to compensate for the above glitch), I’m stuck on the topmost preset on Page 2 and I’m not able to scroll back to the presets on Page 1 no matter how many times I press the button on the radio or steering wheel; the system stays on the same station on the top of Page 2 (when I reach the top of Page 2 it should jump to the bottom of Page 1, but it doesn't)!?

This is very annoying, as many of the car’s other menus act like a “rolodex” (WHEN THEY SHOULD NOT, AS OTHERS HAVE COMPLAINED), where you don’t know where the menu begins or ends, but the radio presets should definitely act like a “rolodex”, so we’re able to run through same, not needing to know where the presets begin or end, but it does not act this way due to the stated glitches.

Has anyone else noticed this? Exceptionally annoying, especially when it gets into SAT mode and I can’t get out of it without going to the radio screen.

Last edited by dbs600; 01-13-14 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-18-14, 10:39 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer's shop foreman reported this to corporate under Case Number TA140150201; please feel free to mention same to your dealer so we can get traction on this!

Thanks.
Old 01-18-14, 11:17 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Probably needs a new firmware update or new radio unit. Hope they fix this for you soon
Old 06-29-16, 06:19 PM
steve001
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

Your last post was in 2014. I have the exact same issue in a 2015 RX 350. There are so many little annoying things about this car. If this has been an issue brought up before, clearly Lexus does not care to fix it. For a car that is so expensive, I would have thought they would iron out little kinks like this.

My next car will likely be either an Infiniti or a Tesla. I don't think I would buy Lexus again based on issues like this and navigation issues.

I also have to remember where my presets are and if I go over go through the radio menu to exit satellite stations that I never wanted preset.
Old 06-29-16, 08:34 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by steve001
Hello everyone,

Your last post was in 2014. I have the exact same issue in a 2015 RX 350. There are so many little annoying things about this car. If this has been an issue brought up before, clearly Lexus does not care to fix it. For a car that is so expensive, I would have thought they would iron out little kinks like this.

My next car will likely be either an Infiniti or a Tesla. I don't think I would buy Lexus again based on issues like this and navigation issues.

I also have to remember where my presets are and if I go over go through the radio menu to exit satellite stations that I never wanted preset.
if you're annoyed with 'little kinks like this,' then good luck with the tesla.
Old 07-01-16, 06:09 AM
steve001
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you looked at the navigation system in the Tesla?

Have you compared it to any Lexus?

Tesla blows every other system out of the water.

Look at the headaches Lexus puts you through for nav updates. Tesla uses Google Maps with OTA updates.

For Lexus I have to go to the dealership and have them install via USB for an activation code for antiquated maps. My 2015 Lexus has maps from 2013. There are highways missing!

Little kinks are the easiest to fix. For 2015 cars they were not fixed. I noted for a 2016 Lexus the scrolling issue was fixed. Why did it take so long?

For this much money, I expect the car to adapt a little, but Lexus', and all other dealers', business models are to nickel and dime you to death.

As above, it's not the 'little kinks' that are the nail in the coffin, it's the lack of responsiveness to customer concerns, usability, and very poor navigation systems.

Next time I spend a lot of money on a car, I want it to adapt to me.