IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Dealer tinted for me and said street legal, but I got a ticket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-14, 05:15 AM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dealer tinted for me and said street legal, but I got a ticket?

When I purchased my car back in August, I selected the tinting option from the dealer. The dealer said that they would make sure that the two front, side windows will not be tinted too dark, making it street legal. Yesterday, I was stopped by a cop; he put a device on the driver side window, and the LCD display on his device showed 40%. So, the cop said it was too dark and I received a $1xx ticket. I believe that there will be points deduction on my driver's license as well.

I have no plans to check with my dealer as to why they said my tint was going to be street legal, but now I received a ticket for it because I know that they don't care.

Last night, I checked the web about the tinting law in NYC, and it said "Front Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in" Nothing more I can say here - I will plea guilty and pay the fine.

My point of this thread is that I would like to find out whether you guys had any experience about getting a ticket for tinting. Did you guys decide to remove the tint afterward? If not, how do you guys prevent getting more tickets in the future?

Lastly, NYC's road condtion is terrible, whether it's on locals or on highways - tons of potholes. I tried whatever I could to prevent them, but I still ended up running over a number of potholes. Sometimes, I feel that the shocks aren't that great because the "bang" noise and the vibration from running over a pothole are just too strong. In addition, I just discovered another hard scratch near the gas tank door. My car is wrapped with clear bra almost everywhere, and my luck was so bad that something had to strike an area without the bra.

Last edited by doctorttt; 01-13-14 at 05:23 AM.
Old 01-13-14, 05:52 AM
redraptor
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my experience with tints and the multiple tickets I received on my previous cars, any sort of tint in NYC will get u a ticket. I've had cops use the gadget and get readings of 35% and I ended up paying the fine. I never removed them because I liked having them reduce sunlight glare and heat in the summer. This is why I didnt tint mine nor do I plan to but I still see many cars on the road with dark tints.

As for potholes, on my way to work this morning I hit a huge pothole on Northern state Pkwy in the far left lane which knocked my rear view mirror off its position. I was for sure the rim may have cracked or bent but i checked and didn't see any visible imperfections yet. Just got to try and avoid them at all costs. Last thing I want is a messed up rim.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 01-13-14, 08:46 AM
Lost808
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP, I cannot comment on the tint laws in NY, but can about the points on your record. You will not get points assesed to your driving record for something like tint or no front plate for example. It has to involve a moving violation to be reported and points assesed. However, it will be reported on you license for informational only and not to your insurance. It is recorded to your license, so if/when you get pulled over again, they can check to see if it was for the same infraction that was not corrected the first time.
Old 01-13-14, 08:58 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

It seems like a lot of potholes popped up since last week's freeze.

Ed
Old 01-13-14, 09:06 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorttt
When I purchased my car back in August, I selected the tinting option from the dealer. The dealer said that they would make sure that the two front, side windows will not be tinted too dark, making it street legal. Yesterday, I was stopped by a cop; he put a device on the driver side window, and the LCD display on his device showed 40%. So, the cop said it was too dark and I received a $1xx ticket. I believe that there will be points deduction on my driver's license as well.

I have no plans to check with my dealer as to why they said my tint was going to be street legal, but now I received a ticket for it because I know that they don't care.
I would at least give the dealer a call and/or e-mail to let them know. I would assume that they contract out the tinting to a local shop, who may have told them it was legal. If I was the dealer, I would want to know so I don't make the same mistake again.
Old 01-13-14, 09:07 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's the dirty little secret -- no tickets are ever reported to insurance companies. They're always reported to DMV though. It is the responsibility of the insurance company to pull a drivers records from DMV. Most don't do that because it costs money each time they pull a record. Most pull records on a new customer and seldom again. Older drivers with a stable record almost never have their records pulled after they sign up. This is in reference to infractions like speeding, etc. car wrecks, I don't know.
Old 01-13-14, 09:14 AM
Lost808
Pole Position

^
What Glashub said.
However my insurance co (USAA) pulls records often, usually when adding a new car to the policy, or every six months when my policy term renews. But normally, the insurance co will not pull records unless there is a motivating factor for them to do so.
Old 01-13-14, 09:16 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Lost808
^
What Glashub said.
However my insurance co (USAA) pulls records often, usually when adding a new car to the policy, or every six months when my policy term renews. But normally, the insurance co will not pull records unless there is a motivating factor for them to do so.
The motivating factor is a rate increase with tickets.Upon renewal insurance some companies do check driver records.Especially after a claim.

Last edited by Joeb427; 01-13-14 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-13-14, 09:22 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You are lucky that the cop did not cut up your tint. It happened to me awhile back in CT.
Anyhow, i would contact the dealer and let them know. Also demand the tint to be re-done to legal limit. Unless you like the darker tint and dont mind getting ticket again. By the way, i dont know NY state law but typically this is a none moving violation (like parking and no front plate).
Old 01-13-14, 09:34 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

"Only 31 percent of drivers who have gotten at least one traffic ticket say the citation resulted in a rate increase from their car insurer, according to a survey by InsuranceQuotes.com"

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/why-...rate-1C8462596
Old 01-13-14, 10:45 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
"Only 31 percent of drivers who have gotten at least one traffic ticket say the citation resulted in a rate increase from their car insurer, according to a survey by InsuranceQuotes.com"

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/why-...rate-1C8462596
Then there's this article....

http://carinsurance.about.com/b/2013...-insurance.htm

I guess it may depend on the company.
Old 01-13-14, 10:59 AM
skrules
Rookie

I am getting my car tinted today. 35% on the back and 70% on the front. In CA, we are not supposed to tint the front windows. But the tint shop guy suggested that 70% is super light anyway. So hoping that I don't get a fixit ticket.

If you dealer sold you the car with those tints, I would ask the dealer to remove it and reapply to legal limit. It would be their liability.
Old 01-13-14, 11:18 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

CA cops don't seem to trip about tint. Got a speeding ticket 2 weeks ago and the cop never mentioned tint.
Old 01-13-14, 11:20 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorttt
NYC's road condtion is terrible, whether it's on locals or on highways - tons of potholes. I tried whatever I could to prevent them, but I still ended up running over a number of potholes. Sometimes, I feel that the shocks aren't that great because the "bang" noise and the vibration from running over a pothole are just too strong. In addition, I just discovered another hard scratch near the gas tank door. My car is wrapped with clear bra almost everywhere, and my luck was so bad that something had to strike an area without the bra.
The freeze/thaw in Toronto has a had a similar effect on the roads here. My IS behaves similarly and "bottoms-out" with a thump fairly easily . I try to avoid bumps as much as possible. I wonder how non-F-Sport IS's behave...
Old 01-13-14, 01:24 PM
Lost808
Pole Position

Not sure if it can be done with ordering a Lexus, but when I had my 02 911 Cab, it was ordered with the front windows and rear/side wedge windows changed to smoked glass instead of clear. They came with the smoked glass equal close to 60% and it was included on the spec sheet. That is about the only way to bypass the tint laws anywhere legally. As long as you can prove it came factory and cannot be removed

Quick Reply: Dealer tinted for me and said street legal, but I got a ticket?