Questions about dealership and maintenance program

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-14, 10:11 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about dealership and maintenance program

Please delete

Last edited by aTeAse; 09-25-15 at 12:57 AM.
Old 01-12-14, 10:17 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

+1, would definitely like some information about this as well.
Old 01-12-14, 10:24 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't drive lowered cars but I haven't received my car in worse condition than it was in. If you are worried this might happen than take pics before you take it ...preferably with something displaying the date in picture (like a phone) on the areas you are concerned with. So if something does happen you have proof of the kind of shape it was in before it was in their position.

No dealer will do anything additional without your approval. So if you take it for the 5k maintenance and they see alignment is off and you have a leak they will tell you about it and then ask you if you want them to fix it or not. The one caveat is one time they found the battery in my 2IS250 to not pass their test so they replaced it free of charge and told me after the fact.
Old 01-12-14, 10:26 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Will they take your car on a road test? Quite possibly, yes. After removing wheels to check brakes, etc, its usually common practice to road test to ensure quality. Can you request no road test? Sure.

Are they responsible for damage? Of course. If you experience any sort of damage, speak with the service manager.

Strange opinion to say that some auto techs for the high-end manufacturers have less knowledge than the common person....
Old 01-13-14, 12:26 AM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RTIS250
Will they take your car on a road test? Quite possibly, yes. After removing wheels to check brakes, etc, its usually common practice to road test to ensure quality. Can you request no road test? Sure.

Are they responsible for damage? Of course. If you experience any sort of damage, speak with the service manager.

Strange opinion to say that some auto techs for the high-end manufacturers have less knowledge than the common person....
OP said, 'common car enthusiast', i somewhat stand strong with his point as well.

Just because someone is licensed, doesn't mean their good at what they do.
Old 01-13-14, 12:29 AM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by aTeAse
Just because someone is licensed, doesn't mean their good at what they do.
That applies to every profession/career/job on the face of the planet.
Old 01-13-14, 12:36 AM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RTIS250
That applies to every profession/career/job on the face of the planet.
Yes....

Information is easily obtained on the internet nowadays. I dont see much difference in a 'common person'(with basic mechanical knowledge) who can google DIYs, be different from a newly licensed auto tech?

In fact, when my 3IS navigation was slow and choppy, I googled that immediately. I found information on how to access the navigation system information to see which update I had, which was the 8400.

I called my dealership about this, and they had no idea what i was talking about(although it is a new car). The master tech even asked me how I found out to access the computers information to see which update I had(cuz he had no idea how to do it).

I was stuck at the dealership for 4 hours, when they just needed to update the SD card.

Besides... it's not like i'm trying to tune to car or boost it... now that's a whole different story.

Last edited by aTeAse; 01-13-14 at 12:44 AM.
Old 01-13-14, 12:37 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

You can request anything you want. It's your car and they have to respect your wishes. This is not new to them.
I think you are over-worrying a bit. The majority of Lexus dealer techs are well-trained and responsible. The odds are very low something wild could happen. The best way to combat all of your concerns is to let your service advisor know your concerns about the condition of your car. He/she will take into consideration what you are saying and go the extra mile to ensure the techs don't mess anything up. Also, always always always go over the car with them when you drop it off, documenting it's condition. Then do the same when you pick it up. There cannot be any dispute if you do this and have it all documented on paper.
I've created a nice relationship with my advisor, and they get paid to take care of any special requests or needs. This is the essence of Lexus service and most to all dealers should be able to deliver.
Old 01-13-14, 12:51 AM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
You can request anything you want. It's your car and they have to respect your wishes. This is not new to them.
I think you are over-worrying a bit. The majority of Lexus dealer techs are well-trained and responsible. The odds are very low something wild could happen. The best way to combat all of your concerns is to let your service advisor know your concerns about the condition of your car. He/she will take into consideration what you are saying and go the extra mile to ensure the techs don't mess anything up. Also, always always always go over the car with them when you drop it off, documenting it's condition. Then do the same when you pick it up. There cannot be any dispute if you do this and have it all documented on paper.
I've created a nice relationship with my advisor, and they get paid to take care of any special requests or needs. This is the essence of Lexus service and most to all dealers should be able to deliver.
^ That's a really good point! Part of why I like Lexus is their superior customer service. I've had special requests before and they honored them all. I'd still take photots if you are still overly worried and they'll be timed stamped in your phone so forget my earlier comment but I don't think you will have an issue. I can't speak for all dealerships but I don't think they hire newbie techs. Their techs are going to be working on some expensive cars, why hire someone with zero experience? And I've seen many techs drive lowered cars. They'll probably know what you did right and wrong before they even start working on your car. And if you get a tech who cares you might even get a car that drives better than it did before and all under the radar.