IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Motor Trend Long Term Review IS Arrival

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-14, 08:42 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Am I missing something as far new C-Class interior? I have both and I can tell you that 3IS is far superior than C-Class (unless there is new C-class I don't know about). The Mercedes material is made little more durable but quality, design, and tech are much better in the Lexus.

After driving all other competitors and owning some of them, I would say new 3IS interior is on par or better than Germans. I think most of people here would agree that interior is what sold them.
Old 08-08-14, 08:50 PM
CJW
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The 2015 C is said to have an interior only rivaled by the S class and blows away almost everything even a class above.

Light years above the 2014.
Old 08-08-14, 10:00 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by a790
Curious- all the people who don't feel the 3IS is luxurious/acceptable, how old are you?

For perspective, I'm 27. I've owned BMW's, Mercedes, Kia's, etc. The 3IS has the most appealing interior to me in that it is sporty, contemporary, and very stylish. I don't care that my passengers don't have an armrest- I bought this car for me and me alone. I love the materials used throughout as I feel they are an excellent blend of form/function and practicality.

I also have no squeaks, no rattles, etc.

The BMW, Audi, and Infinity that I drove (all direct competitors) all had a nice, luxurious passenger car interior. When I get in the Lexus I don't feel as if I'm in a passenger car. I feel like I'm sitting in a sports car, with the cockpit clearly designed with the drivers needs in mind.

The niche carved by the 3IS is unique in the segment. That's why Motor Trend and Car and Driver both put it ahead of the BMW in recent comparison tests: the Lexus stopped trying to be BMW and started being themselves, and in doing so they made a car that outclasses its competition.

People that come in here complaining that the interior isn't luxurious, etc... well, what did you expect? That isn't the car that you bought. If that's what you wanted... why'd you buy the Lexus and not the Mercedes or BMW?
I am 32 - a bit older than you are. Not sure how and why the age matters in this discussion. We are all here grown enough to be able to have clear unbiased opinions that allow us to objectively share our experiences with respect to 3IS and how it compares to its competition. Now if for whatever reason we criticize our vehicles by bringing up valid credible points I see no reason that someone tells us that we should instead buy Mercedes or BMW anything of that nature. Personally if I want to change the vehicle I will do so relatively hassle free as long as it fits my budget and my needs. Now keep in mind that no car is perfect and once I change the car I am pretty sure I will find some flaws with another vehicle and I will be free to express my opinion on that car's forum to share with others. That is why it is called forum. It is not the place only for the statements like "omg I love my car and it always keeps a smile on my face" or smith like "3IS is hands downs better than 3 series Q50S Audi S4 as it is the best in giving the overall package for competitive price and bla bla bla" We heard that already!

The point is if the criticism is not fictitious but rather valid and credible then they should be shared and those who disagree may do so by demonstrating respect. All I am saying lets keep the personal judgment mechanism shut down rather lets initiative an objective more a subject focused discussion. I am done here. Thank you.
Old 08-09-14, 03:17 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

Originally Posted by CJW
The 2015 C is said to have an interior only rivaled by the S class and blows away almost everything even a class above.

Yea, it's a mini S class. Those looking for a luxury car in this segment the new C-Class beats them all.
Old 08-09-14, 04:23 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FinaLpeace
Yea, it's a mini S class. Those looking for a luxury car in this segment the new C-Class beats them all.
Except in the UK the only engines available are ****e. Rattling diesels, very unrefined and the ride is horrendous unless you go for the adaptive suspension which is an £800 option. Not sold on the looks either. Slightly reminiscent of a banana on wheels.

The diesels and the gearboxes are the main problem with the car. They feel a decade old in their NVH levels. I swear there is no difference between the rattling in my 04 C220 and the 15 C220. The gearbox is too hesitant, refuses to kickdown no matter what
Old 08-09-14, 05:45 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by CJW

while the 2015 C interior is a big step up over the 2014 its not better than cars higher in class like the GS or E class. C interior has all these empty unutilized space on the dash but they make the controls and buttons so tiny for some reason despite that there is plenty of space. 2014 C integrated the screen better, now it looks like someone stuck an ipad on the dash
Old 08-09-14, 07:30 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by CJW

Thanks for info.
Seems like new C-class is made for comfort only. Its hard to make sport/luxury and MB went with luxury route. And as you said, it is in class of its own.
Old 08-09-14, 08:25 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

Originally Posted by jkonquer
Thanks for info.
Seems like new C-class is made for comfort only. Its hard to make sport/luxury and MB went with luxury route. And as you said, it is in class of its own.
The AMG is really fun to drive. The exhaust of an AMG I see in the road is a killer. It's quite a sport/luxury lineup.
Old 08-09-14, 09:54 AM
a790
Driver

Originally Posted by salvadorik
The point is if the criticism is not fictitious but rather valid and credible then they should be shared and those who disagree may do so by demonstrating respect. All I am saying lets keep the personal judgment mechanism shut down rather lets initiative an objective more a subject focused discussion. I am done here. Thank you.
I was asking about age to see if there was a difference of opinion among other demographics. You know, trying to gain more perspective on the criticism that was being made.

Also, "valid" criticism is criticism that takes into consideration things like market positioning, price point, and the type of car you bought vs. what you intended to buy. Saying that the GS (or any other car from higher price brackets) has a better interior is hardly valid given that it isn't even a comparison- one was intended to be plush and luxurious, the other sporty and refined. This is why said that if you wanted a car that had a plushy, more luxurious interior... why did you buy the 3IS, given that the 3IS doesn't provide that? That's like buying an ice cream cone and then complaining that the ice cream is too cold. The logic doesn't make any sense.

Your exact same "that's why it's called a forum" argument (nice argument by the way, very concisely addresses all the counter-points that have been made ) can be applied to what I (and others) have been saying. Just as you have the right to come in here and spill nonsense about how terrible the car is, I have every right to come back in here and check to see if your mental faculties are fully functioning. The only difference between us, then, I don't view a counter-argument as not "demonstrating respect".
Old 10-28-14, 09:47 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Motor Trend has concluded their one year test.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._line_verdict/

What do people expect when they buy a Lexus? For a long time, the answer was a luxury car on par with the Germans, but without the repair bill. As of late, you can add to that a dose of sportiness. I discovered when living with the complete IS lineup for the past 12 months that Lexus delivers on both.
Old 10-28-14, 08:20 PM
IS1911
Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
Motor Trend has concluded their one year test.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._line_verdict/
Interesting. They even experienced the battery issue.
Old 10-29-14, 10:28 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

It is really odd that Motor Trend said 3IS "delivered on reliability". Although it is true that 3IS is quite reliable, especially compared to its german counterparts, it is odd to compare reliability of the vehicle driven for 4 months with 6K miles to BMW 3 series driven for 12 months with 18K miles. MT got 3 versions of 3IS in 12 months and MT put in average 6K on each brand new 3IS. MT did mention this on their article but they should not have even stated their opinion on LT reliability of 3IS. This is not a fair comparison. If MT had kept one 3IS for 12months and 18K miles and they had gotten the same results, then their comparison would have been fair. We all know that as the miles go up, the chances of a mechanical malfunction go up as well.

Last edited by salvadorik; 10-29-14 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-29-14, 03:40 PM
Hermes
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DreLo
People will always have something bad to say. The funny thing is, most people who talk bad about the Lexus IS haven't even been in one. I wasn't considering the IS...until I sat in one and fell in love. It was by far the best all around choice. I think German car lovers just hate to admit that consumers can now choose a car that can match in performance and has far more reliability.
I never really considered the IS either until my dad told sit in one at a car show. The second I sat in one I fell in love...
Old 10-29-14, 03:49 PM
kmanpete24
Rookie

Originally Posted by Hermes
I never really considered the IS either until my dad told sit in one at a car show. The second I sat in one I fell in love...
Same here. i went to the car show and was focus on the 335i, but after sitting in the IS350 I was in love.
Old 11-01-14, 05:01 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,542 Likes on 1,732 Posts

^^ Ditto! After sitting and driving the IS350 F Sport, the sitting position and everything else just felt perfect for my body type