IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Motor Trend Long Term Review IS Arrival

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-14, 01:20 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
And yet review after review picks the 206hp 4cyl 2015 TSX as the car to get. They proclaim it a hit. The same engine Acura has used for years. And do note you will not find owners from the previous generation pissing on the parade and *****ing like you do. They are polite over there. They are enthusiasts. They are based in reality Here's a link to a slew of Acura TSX reviews and each picks the 4cyl. as the car to get, http://acurazine.com/forums/showthre...=909291&page=8. The only time you're on this forum is to ***** about the 3 IS.
I really don;t know what review are you reading that states that 2015 TSX is the car to get as that car is history and 2015 model doesn't exist anymore.
Obviously that car is for people who don;t ask much and it doesn;t even compare with an IS. front wheel drive , starts at $30k.
That they carry the engine over like Lexus did it's true, was it a big seller? hardly, hence why they got rid of it.
Your example is like "look it can be worst" but that won;t bring any progress.
Old 08-06-14, 02:30 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by keyframe13
I really don;t know what review are you reading that states that 2015 TSX is the car to get as that car is history and 2015 model doesn't exist anymore.
Obviously that car is for people who don;t ask much and it doesn;t even compare with an IS. front wheel drive , starts at $30k.
That they carry the engine over like Lexus did it's true, was it a big seller? hardly, hence why they got rid of it.
Your example is like "look it can be worst" but that won;t bring any progress.
Like it or not, the tsx and is are in the same class, and it sold plenty
Old 08-06-14, 06:35 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tea
I understand what you're saying, but just because it's best in class doesn't mean that it's nice to me. Like saying the civic or Corolla has best in class interior, but it doesn't necessarily mean that it's made of good quality. It's just better than the other cars in its class. I personally think Lexus cut some corners with the 3is interior
Tea, i would have to disagree with you on this. i think you should compare the 3IS interior against its rivals. stepping up a segment or two does skew measure.

I cant be saying that i think the GS interior is poor because i think a Rolls Royce interior is my liking / standard.

yes, the 4GS has a better interior but theres a reason why its sits higher in the Lexus family.

I do feel that the 3IS to have the best in class interior but there are areas that they can definitely improve (more storage and other creature convenience)
Old 08-06-14, 06:50 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jennypenny
Tea, i would have to disagree with you on this. i think you should compare the 3IS interior against its rivals. stepping up a segment or two does skew measure.

I cant be saying that i think the GS interior is poor because i think a Rolls Royce interior is my liking / standard.

yes, the 4GS has a better interior but theres a reason why its sits higher in the Lexus family.

I do feel that the 3IS to have the best in class interior but there are areas that they can definitely improve (more storage and other creature convenience)
I don't disagree with the 3is having best in class interior, but I'm just saying that just because it's better than its immediate rivals doesn't mean I like the quality. That's why I had the civic or Corolla analogy.
Old 08-06-14, 07:01 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

MT pointed out the tires are weakest point of the IS350 as it has troubles putting the power down due to weak tires.
Old 08-06-14, 07:04 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

nah I don't think 3IS has best in class interior. I would say it is higher than average but definitely not the best. Check out new C class interior. It is a killer interior and I would dare to say it might even be better than GS interior. Although 3IS has a modern looking dash, sweet LFA inspired gauge cluster, nice seats etc the center console design is poor. It is prone to squeaks and rattles. There is also very small space due this center console design. Also I think German cars (S4, new C class) still use better more solid and expensive materials.

Exterior - I didn't know that front and rear bumpers made out of plastic! Most manufactures use high strength aluminum, which is stronger and lighter.

That said - PLEASE DONT YELL AT ME FOR CRITICIZING LEXUS - handling and feel of 3IS is fantastic!!!

Last edited by salvadorik; 08-06-14 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-06-14, 08:19 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by salvadorik
nah I don't think 3IS has best in class interior. I would say it is higher than average but definitely not the best. Check out new C class interior. It is a killer interior and I would dare to say it might even be better than GS interior. Although 3IS has a modern looking dash, sweet LFA inspired gauge cluster, nice seats etc the center console design is poor. It is prone to squeaks and rattles. There is also very small space due this center console design. Also I think German cars (S4, new C class) still use better more solid and expensive materials.

Exterior - I didn't know that front and rear bumpers made out of plastic! Most manufactures use high strength aluminum, which is stronger and lighter.

That said - PLEASE DONT YELL AT ME FOR CRITICIZING LEXUS - handling and feel of 3IS is fantastic!!!
except for the ipad in the middle of the dash, the new c class interior is beautiful.
Old 08-06-14, 09:06 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

Which Merc or Audi uses aluminium for their front bumpers?

They use plastic because of its lightweight and ability to deform. its for pedestrian safety.

everyone uses plastic for their front bumpers. even Ferraris uses fiberglass (or generally, plastic).

The germans do manufacture their other body panels in aluminium, like doors and roof.
Old 08-06-14, 10:10 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Which Merc or Audi uses aluminium for their front bumpers?

They use plastic because of its lightweight and ability to deform. its for pedestrian safety.

everyone uses plastic for their front bumpers. even Ferraris uses fiberglass (or generally, plastic).

The germans do manufacture their other body panels in aluminium, like doors and roof.
Plastic rear bumper for pedestrian safety? My C7 A6 had high strength aluminum hood, fenders, roof, doors, trunk. I need to check about bumpers though not sure. In any case metal body parts of 3IS are very easily bendable and you can get a dent also very easy. I remember on audi it was very tough to bend and it could absorb a lot higher impact on an accident I would imagine.
Old 08-06-14, 10:59 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

Plastic rear bumper for pedestrian safety? My C7 A6 had high strength aluminum hood, fenders, roof, doors, trunk. I need to check about bumpers though not sure. In any case metal body parts of 3IS are very easily bendable and you can get a dent also very easy. I remember on audi it was very tough to bend and it could absorb a lot higher impact on an accident I would imagine.
bumpers are usually plastic. front and back.

other panels are usually alloys (aluminium, steel and etc.) as i said earlier.
Old 08-06-14, 11:04 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

bumpers are usually plastic. front and back.

other panels are usually alloys (aluminium, steel and etc.) as i said earlier.
Ok as you said earlier you are right but i will check to confirm
Old 08-07-14, 01:07 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

Ok I skip through most of the comments because I am too eager to say my thoughts. The new IS interior is nothing luxurious at all and you can tell by comparing it to the previous generation IS where luxury is present in the cabin. The 3rd generation IS only superior in handling and fun to drive, luxury is pretty much absent in this car's interior, level of sportiness (depending on your opinion) is definitely present throughout the design. Don't get me wrong, it's still a Lexus, but it's just not as luxury as it's previous generation. I really did hesitate to buy this car due to it's interior design and now here comes the winner, the new C class from Mercedes 2015. Mercedes 2015 C class is hands down the winner in luxurious interior and exterior, but is it sporty enough? Probably not as sporty as the IS, but honestly I ride in this car all day and the interior is really important to me. I demand luxury for the new IS interior! 2016 change that junk interior now! I love the LFA inspired gauge that's all Even the new navigation screen is a junk

The slightly better performance from the IS probably won't win the hearts of customers who do daily driving, like me...... The 2014 IS350 F Sport is still fun, but not as fun as when I first got behind the wheels. Now I'm dead bored of it's interior that I sit in every day.

The new C class presentation film take a look for yourself and compare luxury to luxury with the new IS. The technology found in this car cannot be found on the new IS.

Lastly, I do feel like I'm driving a "beast" around everyday, but not a "luxurious" beast, besides the Lexus badge on it.

Last edited by FinaLpeace; 08-07-14 at 01:26 AM.
Old 08-07-14, 11:21 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FinaLpeace
Ok I skip through most of the comments because I am too eager to say my thoughts. The new IS interior is nothing luxurious at all and you can tell by comparing it to the previous generation IS where luxury is present in the cabin. The 3rd generation IS only superior in handling and fun to drive, luxury is pretty much absent in this car's interior, level of sportiness (depending on your opinion) is definitely present throughout the design. Don't get me wrong, it's still a Lexus, but it's just not as luxury as it's previous generation. I really did hesitate to buy this car due to it's interior design and now here comes the winner, the new C class from Mercedes 2015. Mercedes 2015 C class is hands down the winner in luxurious interior and exterior, but is it sporty enough? Probably not as sporty as the IS, but honestly I ride in this car all day and the interior is really important to me. I demand luxury for the new IS interior! 2016 change that junk interior now! I love the LFA inspired gauge that's all Even the new navigation screen is a junk

The slightly better performance from the IS probably won't win the hearts of customers who do daily driving, like me...... The 2014 IS350 F Sport is still fun, but not as fun as when I first got behind the wheels. Now I'm dead bored of it's interior that I sit in every day.

The new C class presentation film take a look for yourself and compare luxury to luxury with the new IS. The technology found in this car cannot be found on the new IS.

Lastly, I do feel like I'm driving a "beast" around everyday, but not a "luxurious" beast, besides the Lexus badge on it.
I think saying 3IS interior is not luxurious for its class would be misrepresentation. 3IS has certainly luxury attributes to it e.g. Interior refinement, use of leather, aluminum touches, electronic conveniences (sun roof, nav, memory sears, heated and ventilated seats etc), built quality, quiet interior etc this all remind me that i am sitting in a luxury car. For the most part Lexus did an okey job with 3IS but certainly you dont get the same"feeling" of luxury that you get say from german cars. Purely from cosmetical standpoint i think german cars will age better. This is my take
Old 08-07-14, 12:08 PM
CJW
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The new C Class is ridiculously nice inside - though I'm not a fan of the non-integrated looking screen.

I think the IS has a nice design with decent materials, but still quite a bit of hard plastic and faux metal (how about real metal?). I don't think it's best in class, but certainly class competitive and different looking. Oddly, part of the car that lured me is that when you look at the overall package, I just thought to myself "This is a really nice car".
Old 08-07-14, 12:46 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by CJW
The new C Class is ridiculously nice inside - though I'm not a fan of the non-integrated looking screen.

I think the IS has a nice design with decent materials, but still quite a bit of hard plastic and faux metal (how about real metal?). I don't think it's best in class, but certainly class competitive and different looking. Oddly, part of the car that lured me is that when you look at the overall package, I just thought to myself "This is a really nice car".
This is basically how I feel about it - I find the 3IS interior to be class competitive.

In my 3IS purchase I was looking to buy a sporty, great handling sedan, and that's what I got. I am still in love with the exterior design - it has presence. The interior has a great and unique look to it, and I get lots of compliments on it when I have guests with me.

I haven't ever considered the IS to be a luxury sedan, so in no way am I disappointed that it doesn't have a luxury car interior. It's about managing expectations.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Long Term Review IS Arrival