IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Rock chip that shows metal!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-14, 02:31 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Rock chip that shows metal!

Hey guys so upon looking at my IS today I noticed a chip on the hood so bad that it shows the metal. I don't think upset is the word for a car that I haven't even had for 2 months yet, not to mention a few little rock chips on my front bumper already. I mean how weak is lexus' paint and clear coat? We are paying so much for these cars we shouldn't have these issues. Anyone I was planning on getting paint correction and opti-coat done sometime this month. Hopefully my guy will be able to fill it in and compound it out maybe? Anyway what do you guys think about this. Anything showing the metal is just bad but in terms of filling it in.

2014 IS 350 F-Sport Ultra White/Rioja Red
Attached Thumbnails Rock chip that shows metal!-image-3882990280.jpg   Rock chip that shows metal!-image-487218586.jpg  
Old 01-12-14, 02:42 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is exactly why I had the PPF put on despite hating the ugly lines ...though I told them to do the whole hood which pisses me off (will be a fun call tomorrow). Every single car I've owned has suffered this fate. It's even worse in this area with Gravel Trucks flying by in the left lane doing 90-100mph leaving their payload all over the freeways.
Old 01-12-14, 02:54 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Yeah looks like the IS suffers the same problem with GS the paint is really soft.
Old 01-12-14, 02:58 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Yeah slust I know how you feel. It's just annoying since it's such a new car and my first lexus. We baby the car as much as possible but the elements have another idea. Does anyone with the opti-coat have any issues with rock chips or does it at least help? I know it's a really strong layer of coating but I'm sure it'll help prevent the chipping

Old 01-12-14, 03:06 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shivad87
Yeah slust I know how you feel. It's just annoying since it's such a new car and my first lexus. We baby the car as much as possible but the elements have another idea. Does anyone with the opti-coat have any issues with rock chips or does it at least help? I know it's a really strong layer of coating but I'm sure it'll help prevent the chipping

No Opti-Coat does not help with rock chips. It adds some extra protection from mino scratches though.
Old 01-12-14, 03:10 PM
VGer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Invisabra

See if you can find a local installer of invisibra or other such products. That stuff will stop about 95% of this type of damage.
Old 01-12-14, 03:12 PM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think opticoat or any sealer will prevent rock chips. You will need a clear bra for protection. I have owned other makes and whenever someone got a chip, they would say it was due to soft paint. I have never seen any paint be resistant to all rock sizes. Think of all the rocks your paint has encountered and did not chip.
Old 01-12-14, 03:37 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Yeah maybe I'll have to look into a clear bra as well. Starting to regret getting a white car these little things show up so easily lol

Old 01-12-14, 05:14 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by shivad87
Yeah maybe I'll have to look into a clear bra as well. Starting to regret getting a white car these little things show up so easily lol

Obsidian and Deep Sea Mica are by far the hardest to care for. Count your blessings
Old 01-12-14, 05:42 PM
axis77
Lead Lap

join the club, happened to my IS as well (2nd Gen). looks like i had wolverine give me 3 slashes, and it was all from a stupid gravel truck that i was forced to stay behind and i was going hella slow to be far away.
Old 01-12-14, 06:14 PM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just curious as to how the clear bra works.. once applied, i hear you treat it as regular paint (washing it, not using corrosive ingredients ect.) but what i'm wondering is:
1) does the bra stay clear forever, or is there any tinting or yellowing over time due to the sun and road salt, etc.?
2) obviously there will be knicks in the clear bra, but are the knicks as deep as without a clear bra?
3) lastly, after washing your car, do the knicks seem less apparent?

would be great if someone could post a pic to show an example of what a clear bra looks like with knicks..just so i can get some perspective to see if its worth the investment or not, and how much of a difference it makes.
Old 01-12-14, 06:57 PM
VGer
Rookie

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
just curious as to how the clear bra works.. once applied, i hear you treat it as regular paint (washing it, not using corrosive ingredients ect.) but what i'm wondering is:
1) does the bra stay clear forever, or is there any tinting or yellowing over time due to the sun and road salt, etc.?
2) obviously there will be knicks in the clear bra, but are the knicks as deep as without a clear bra?
3) lastly, after washing your car, do the knicks seem less apparent?

would be great if someone could post a pic to show an example of what a clear bra looks like with knicks..just so i can get some perspective to see if its worth the investment or not, and how much of a difference it makes.
Think of it like an iPhone protector for your whole hood. My girlfriend has her Fiat 500 Abarth wrapped in it, nearly two years in I don't see a mark on the hood, the stuff is durable as heck, quite frankly I think if a rock were to penetrate it, it would also crack the windshield. You wash it and wax it like paint, and I see no discoloration to speak of thus far... But it is kept in a garage, so... There a few barely noticeable "marks" on her lower fender, also wrapped, but the film is still intact, and the paint below is pristine.
Old 01-13-14, 04:53 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Unfortunately Japan has some of the strictest environmental laws in the world... so their paint is incredibly soft. A clear bra is definitely the way to go. Also go with a self healing film such as Suntek or Xpel Ultimate. They are very durable, heal themselves when scratched, and so far have not shown any signs of yellowing since the films have been introduced.
Old 01-18-14, 09:14 PM
Ang89
Driver School Candidate

Gosh that's terible
I stumbled upon this website, and it seems they provide the same manufactured exterior paint colors.

http://www.paintscratch.com/touch_up...xus/IS250.html

((Ultra White might be the "White Nova Pearl" but you may wanna double check.))

PS, are these rock chips inevitable in general, or do you have to do some serious speeding on the roadway for it to damage your paint?
Old 01-18-14, 09:44 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my experience either have it repaired professionally (unless you are familiar with the wet sanding process) or don't touch it at all. If you decide to throw on some touch up paint this will most likely make the chip marks stand out even more.

Quick Reply: Rock chip that shows metal!