IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Opti coat 2.0 quote. Is this a good price?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-14, 06:28 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by eyeball
Do Lexus service departments at large not offer this? If it is a 12-hour+ process, I would need a courtesy loaner vehicle

Well I'm sure the Lexus dealership would contract this out, but if I went straight to the detailer I'm sure I'd be without a car the whole day
When I do coating jobs, I keep the car from Friday afternoon until Sunday evening. If the car needs extensive correction beforehand, it may require even more time. This is not a basic process... it is very time intensive and great care must be taken to properly prep and install the coating.

Lexus typically offers a 'paint protection package' of some sort, but you would be throwing money away if you went with any dealership detailing service. Trust me. You should not even allow them to wash your vehicle.
Old 01-12-14, 06:50 PM
phungy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a quote for $325 Wash, clay bar,polish, opti-coat. $400 for wash, clay bar, polish, opti-guard pro. I'd say your price quote is a good deal.
Old 01-12-14, 06:53 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by phungy
I got a quote for $325 Wash, clay bar,polish, opti-coat. $400 for wash, clay bar, polish, opti-guard pro. I'd say your price quote is a good deal.
^That is also a very good deal... the absolute minimum that professional installers are allowed to charge for OC pro is $400 (per the contract signed with Optimum for professional products)... this is often just for the product and NOT for any of the services required to clean and prep the surface for the coating. ie - Cleaning, decon, and polishing = $400, OC Pro=$400, total =$800.

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 01-12-14 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-12-14, 06:55 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang, I wish I could find good detailers with those pricing near me!
Old 01-12-14, 08:22 PM
skrules
Rookie

That is a steal. I considered getting Opti coat on my car and the quotes I received around here (Bay Area) are around 700 to 800$ for decontamination, paint correction, Opti coat 2.0. I decided to go with Clear bra instead and do Opti coat myself.

Anyone here in Bay Area know any detailers who can do Opti Coat for less than 500$?
Old 01-13-14, 09:19 AM
phungy
Driver

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
^That is also a very good deal... the absolute minimum that professional installers are allowed to charge for OC pro is $400 (per the contract signed with Optimum for professional products)... this is often just for the product and NOT for any of the services required to clean and prep the surface for the coating. ie - Cleaning, decon, and polishing = $400, OC Pro=$400, total =$800.
Hey Zach, I also forgot, Scott the Detailer is also applying Opti-Glass (included in the cost). I checked out the cost of Opti-Glass and that little bottle is $80!! Wow
Old 01-13-14, 09:31 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Hey Zach, I also forgot, Scott the Detailer is also applying Opti-Glass (included in the cost). I checked out the cost of Opti-Glass and that little bottle is $80!! Wow
lol well don't tell him that most other installers are charging two to four times as much or he might change his prices post up some pics of your car when it is finished
Old 01-13-14, 09:40 AM
phungy
Driver

lol well don't tell him that most other installers are charging two to four times as much or he might change his prices post up some pics of your car when it is finished
Yes you're right. I got a quote for $600 from another Detailer and the price doesn't include anything else.

Side question: Do I tip my detailer? I'll def post pics. Still waiting for the car to be delivered to the dealership One more week!
Old 01-13-14, 10:31 AM
Lost808
Pole Position

Side question: Do I tip my detailer? I'll def post pics. Still waiting for the car to be delivered to the dealership One more week!
The typical rule that I have followed is I will tip the one that did the detailing if he/she works for someone else, like a detailing company. If the one that detailed my car is a stand alone detailer, or owns the company, then I don't tip, as they are getting the money for themselves. On a side note, if I plan to keep going back to the same person (happy with their work), then I will tip something even if they fall into the second category. Tipping can lead to good service the next time
Old 01-13-14, 10:44 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

I never expect tips. I receive them on occasion, but it is not something I anticipate.

Be sure to inform your dealership not to wash or prep your car!
Old 01-13-14, 11:11 AM
phungy
Driver

Originally Posted by Lost808
The typical rule that I have followed is I will tip the one that did the detailing if he/she works for someone else, like a detailing company. If the one that detailed my car is a stand alone detailer, or owns the company, then I don't tip, as they are getting the money for themselves. On a side note, if I plan to keep going back to the same person (happy with their work), then I will tip something even if they fall into the second category. Tipping can lead to good service the next time
Thanks!

I never expect tips. I receive them on occasion, but it is not something I anticipate.

Be sure to inform your dealership not to wash or prep your car!
Oh yes, I told them three times not to touch the car and to leave the plastic film haha.
Old 01-14-14, 01:29 PM
350flo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DreLo
I was quoted $350 to have opti coat 2.0 applied to my car and the quote includes all the prep work. The detail shop has a good reputation and 5 star reviews on yelp. Is that a good price?
Did you decide to go with him? I'm in the same area and am looking into Opticoat for my car. Can you send me his info? Thanks!
Old 01-14-14, 02:05 PM
Cougar24
Driver School Candidate

I just got a quote from a guy near Atlanta. Let me know what you think:

The cQuartz Finest consist of an extensive exterior wash, decontamination(removal of any wax, sealant, glaze or all in one so we are working with just the paint), polish and two applications of cQuartz Finest. It carries a cost of $825. If you would like to take the condition of your paint up to something beyond what it looks like new from the factory/dealership, we can do that. It carries an extra cost. If that is something that sounds appealing, we can discuss it. Otherwise, I'd rather not bog you down with something you may not be interested in.

Something a lot of clients are doing is having us remove the wheels and do a cQuartz Finest 100% coverage application. This keeps the wheels super easy to keep clean and leaves them looking deeper and shinier than before. It carries a cost of $250. I can show you pictures of how well this impacts the appearance if you'd like.
Old 01-14-14, 02:14 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Cougar24
I just got a quote from a guy near Atlanta. Let me know what you think:
Very nice! You will love CQuartz Finest
Old 01-14-14, 02:20 PM
Cougar24
Driver School Candidate

Very nice! You will love CQuartz Finest
Is that a good price for cQuartz Finest? Also, do you know what he's talking about when he says, "If you would like to take the condition of your paint up to something beyond what it looks like new from the factory/dealership, we can do that. It carries an extra cost."

Kinda sounds like a gimmicky kinda thing

Quick Reply: Opti coat 2.0 quote. Is this a good price?