Redline and Metrics

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-14, 12:34 AM
skrules
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redline and Metrics

Hey guys,

I was just wondering, Has anyone hit redline on their new IS without using manual shifting? I am curious on finding out at what speed the engine will hit redline?

I was also wondering if there is a built in way to keep track of RPMs and top speed? I would like to see the top speed and the top RPM I have hit.

Thanks.
Old 01-12-14, 01:16 AM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skrules
Hey guys,

I was just wondering, Has anyone hit redline on their new IS without using manual shifting? I am curious on finding out at what speed the engine will hit redline?

I was also wondering if there is a built in way to keep track of RPMs and top speed? I would like to see the top speed and the top RPM I have hit.

Thanks.
What speed it hits redline? It hits redline at all different speeds depending on what gear you are in and what transmission you have. No way of keeping track of rpms or top speed. Maybe you can drive with one hand and use your phone to take a picture of the gauge with the other....No but seriously what would the point be of keeping track of that information? This engine is easy to redline and max out. Just find an open stretch of road and mash the gas until you hit 143
Old 01-12-14, 01:37 AM
skrules
Rookie

Originally Posted by BOBFSPORT
What speed it hits redline? It hits redline at all different speeds depending on what gear you are in and what transmission you have. No way of keeping track of rpms or top speed. Maybe you can drive with one hand and use your phone to take a picture of the gauge with the other....No but seriously what would the point be of keeping track of that information? This engine is easy to redline and max out. Just find an open stretch of road and mash the gas until you hit 143
True, but wouldn't it be cool if you can get a graph of the range of the RPMs and the speed for a given period of time? Kinda like an instant replay.
Old 01-12-14, 02:19 AM
falundir
Driver School Candidate

True, but wouldn't it be cool if you can get a graph of the range of the RPMs and the speed for a given period of time? Kinda like an instant replay.
That is typically what a dyno is for.
Old 01-12-14, 09:25 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

even if you had the telemetry, what are you going to do with that information anyway? i'm assuming your car is your daily driver and once in a blue moon track or autocross star, but telemetry allows you to see what areas you need to adjust in your suspension, transmission, gear ratio, etc., on a circuit, for a specific circuit so that you may capitalize on timing and make the most out of your car. stuff like needs money and good engineers at hand to help. so if you're not using it for racing, what's the point of having the info?
Old 01-12-14, 10:54 AM
GaryHE
Driver School Candidate

This is what Road and Track lists in their road test of the IS 350 F-Sport

GEAR MAX SPEED (RPM)
1 34 (6600)
2 58 (6600)
3 84 (6600)
4 107 (6600)
5 127 (6600)
6 143 (6025)
7 143 (4975)
8 143 (4125)
Old 01-12-14, 08:58 PM
skrules
Rookie

Thanks a lot guys. I do not plan on racing frequently, but this is my first real sports car. I thought I would take it to the track once in a while and push it a little bit. Thought it would be cool to get some information about the car.
Old 01-13-14, 05:33 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

if you're really serious about it, get yourself a laptop, other electronics, and an engineer/data analyst...
short clip about what driving to the data can do for you:
Old 01-13-14, 12:40 PM
skrules
Rookie

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
if you're really serious about it, get yourself a laptop, other electronics, and an engineer/data analyst...
short clip about what driving to the data can do for you: Fifth Gear Tries an F1 Simulator - YouTube

Wow this is really cool. Is there a way to try this simulator out? Looks like a lot of fun.
Old 01-13-14, 05:59 PM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Wow this is really cool. Is there a way to try this simulator out? Looks like a lot of fun.
Lol unless you're willing to fly to the UK and drop a couple thousand pounds they might be willing to let you. There's really no place on the planet where you can try this, except at a shop where they make them and you would have to show some serious interest in buying, I think they go for several thousand if not more. Even then those commercial ones won't do justice as it can't replicate the gforce and telemetry you see in that youtube video. The commercial ones are just for gaming enthusiasts who have money to blow.
Old 01-13-14, 06:05 PM
skrules
Rookie

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
Lol unless you're willing to fly to the UK and drop a couple thousand pounds they might be willing to let you. There's really no place on the planet where you can try this, except at a shop where they make them and you would have to show some serious interest in buying, I think they go for several thousand if not more. Even then those commercial ones won't do justice as it can't replicate the gforce and telemetry you see in that youtube video. The commercial ones are just for gaming enthusiasts who have money to blow.
I think buying one and selling tickets for rides could be a good business model.