IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Reliability Roll Call - An issue is defined as requiring warranty work.
No Issues
81.48%
1 Issue
11.11%
2 Issues
3.70%
3 Issues
0%
Bought Back
3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

2014 IS 250 / 350 / F Sport Problem Inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-14, 01:46 PM
falundir
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 2014 IS 250 / 350 / F Sport Problem Inquiry

*3 Issues should read '3 Issues+'*

I am currently cross shopping the 2014 IS350 F Sport and the F30 335i.

On the F30 forums it appears that nearly half of the poll respondents have had some sort of issue with their car…

Source : http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=699876

When I look around the forums here I see only minor issues listed, and are few and far between.

I would like to replicate the F30post poll here to get a better idea of where people are at on the reliability of their cars.

Last edited by falundir; 01-08-14 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-08-14, 02:57 PM
iampraneel
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by falundir

On the F30 forums it appears that nearly half of the poll respondents have had some sort of issue with their car…

When I look around the forums here I see only minor issues listed, and are few and far between.

I would like to replicate the F30post poll here to get a better idea of where people are at on the reliability of their cars.
I don't like choices in your poll. The poll on the F30 forum has more defined choices and your should as well. This is what i think your poll choices should be. The F30 poll on the right and 3IS on the left

More than 3 issues = More than 3 Issues
1 to 2 issues excl. Steering wheel Vibration = 1 to 2 issues excl. Navigation
Steering Wheel Vibration = Navigation
Very minor issues. Not worth putting up there = Very minor issues. Not worth putting up there
NO ISSUES WITH MY F30 (touchwood) = NO ISSUES WITH MY 3IS(rub the magic L)
Old 01-08-14, 03:03 PM
falundir
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Prepboy607
I don't like choices in your poll. The poll on the F30 forum has more defined choices and your should as well. This is what i think your poll choices should be. The F30 poll on the right and 3IS on the left

More than 3 issues = More than 3 Issues
1 to 2 issues excl. Steering wheel Vibration = 1 to 2 issues excl. Navigation
Steering Wheel Vibration = Navigation
Very minor issues. Not worth putting up there = Very minor issues. Not worth putting up there
NO ISSUES WITH MY F30 (touchwood) = NO ISSUES WITH MY 3IS(rub the magic L)
As I mentioned, after digging 15 pages back there are only few mentions of any issues, so I didn't have any to isolate on a poll. As such I decided a generic approach was best.

The goal is to identify IF there are issues. The voter can reply to the thread if they wish to expand on what those issues are.
Old 01-08-14, 03:31 PM
waxy
Pole Position

As I mentioned, after digging 15 pages back there are only few mentions of any issues, so I didn't have any to isolate on a poll. As such I decided a generic approach was best.

The goal is to identify IF there are issues. The voter can reply to the thread if they wish to expand on what those issues are.
I've had 4 issues.

1. Driver Side Door, grinding sound when rolling window's up.
(Vehicle has been in the shop for 2 weeks, they're currently fixing it)

2. Navigation, slow response, interface doesn't properly detect USB devices.
Greyed out, several connects and disconnects will work.
(Difficult to do while driving and unsafe)
Had to bring vehicle back four times to get a temporary fix.
Software Ver 8300,8400,8500 and now it's at 8600 <--- Latest Update they informed me.

3. iDevice's not properly working when synced, audio doesn't play, several resync's to get device working.
This is only a temporary fix, issue still remains.

4. USB connection not providing enough output to charge mobile device.
I have only a Lightening Cable and USB Drive Connected in 2/2 Ports.
iPhone and USB are connected to the ports 30% Phone/100% USB Drive
(USB drive does not consume as many volts compared to a mobile charger 500ma/2.5v)

Aside from all the above issues, I'm very happy with the performance of the vehicle.

Last edited by waxy; 01-08-14 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-08-14, 03:32 PM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No issues with car. But lack of money for more mods is an issue because of said car.
Old 01-08-14, 03:42 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Most people here have minor issues like slow Nav and random reset issues compared to F30. When you read in F30 most people have serious problems with the car especially 335i Msport, notably limp mode is common and dealers don't even know how to fix.
Old 01-08-14, 03:45 PM
waxy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dojoman
Most people here have minor issues like slow Nav and random reset issues compared to F30. When you read in F30 most people have serious problems with the car especially 335i Msport, notably limp mode is common and dealers don't even know how to fix.
That's unfortunate to say the least, it seems the R&D didn't do their part before the vehicle was launched. Worse thing is to have a recall on the vehicle.

My issues are minor, the only serious problem is the Driver Side Window.
Didn't know when the window would stop working and I'd be stuck driving with the window down in abnormal weather conditions lol.
Old 01-08-14, 03:56 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

No issues of this nature. I didn't count the tiny squeak/rattle around the B-pillar as I'm OCD with stuff like this. I also ended up fixing it so all good!
Old 01-08-14, 04:24 PM
falundir
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to everyone who is taking the time to provide feedback.

This is a huge factor for me in making the decision, and I am sure many people in the future will be able to utilize this thread in their cross shop!
Old 01-08-14, 04:27 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

*3 Issues should read '3 Issues+'*

What's your buying time frame OP? The 3IS is the better all around vehicle for the price, but if you can wait for the 2015 the initial teething problems are usually resolved not to mention models usually gain more equiptment through the years.
Old 01-08-14, 04:36 PM
falundir
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
What's your buying time frame OP? The 3IS is the better all around vehicle for the price, but if you can wait for the 2015 the initial teething problems are usually resolved not to mention models usually gain more equiptment through the years.
It will be right on the edge of the 2015 models.

I am transistioning from a heavy travel consulting role to a local permanent position in the coming weeks. My wife and I had our first child on December 21st and I want to be able to come home to our son after work instead of always being on the road =). So this leads me to needing a commuter car.

My wife is on Maternity leave until the first week of May, so I can use her RDX in the mean time. My current car is a race built Camaro, so not so good for commuting in the SF Bay Area..
Old 01-08-14, 04:49 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

It will be right on the edge of the 2015 models.

I am transistioning from a heavy travel consulting role to a local permanent position in the coming weeks. My wife and I had our first child on December 21st and I want to be able to come home to our son after work instead of always being on the road =). So this leads me to needing a commuter car.

My wife is on Maternity leave until the first week of May, so I can use her RDX in the mean time. My current car is a race built Camaro, so not so good for commuting in the SF Bay Area..
Congrats on your newborn!

Yeah hopefully more news will be out around April regarding any notable differences between 2014 and 2015 models for the IS. The biggest rumormill is currently that a turbo 4 will replace the 2.5L V6, but a twin turbo V6 and V8 are also in Lexus's future (don't expect the V8 in the IS though) I reported from my source a few months ago.

Another Bay Area resident
Old 01-08-14, 05:02 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Absolutely agreed. The IS, or even Lexus in particular is the best bang for the buck.
I shopped around for Benz, Audi, BMW. BMW was actually highest pick but the terrible resale and crappy 60k miles maintenance was worrisome. Bad resales are for most if not all german cars anyway

The major flaw currently is that the navigation/interface is slow, it's terrible.

IF you can wait until 2015+ i'd say do that. I already see a lot of flaws with the first year 3IS. Some of the flaws are obvious, or opinionated.

I still love it though
Old 01-08-14, 06:44 PM
falundir
Driver School Candidate

I am anxiously awaiting the NAIAS (Detroit Auto Show) to see what comes out of it.

The IS350 desperately needs a new engine so hopefully we hear of an upgrade in the pipes.

I am planning on keeping whatever car I end up with until the wheels fall off (another point towards Lexus in cheaper ownership costs later in the car's life), so I have no problems waiting a few months to get a more refined product.
Old 01-08-14, 06:58 PM
iampraneel
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Fair enough. I wasn't sure if you were looking for answers in the poll or thread.

I can tell you with all the Lexus' I've owned, I haven't an any major issues. Just small issues which the dealers have graciously taken care of. Sometimes even when the car is out of warranty. I don't think many BMW owners can say the same about their BMW.

BTW. I've also owned a 2010 535i M Sport. Car handled like a dream, but so many issues.

So far in my 3IS I haven't had any issue. Just the slow navigation.

Quick Reply: 2014 IS 250 / 350 / F Sport Problem Inquiry