IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

My lease is Ending Need Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-14, 09:13 PM
caesosa
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I think on your list there are some good values, that being said... with the new IS you are buying a new model that hopefully will be kept for (5 years???) a while. The car looks brilliant (personally the white is my fav, but really all the colors look great).

If you had something to pick to get you over the hump, that was it for me.

370z... great car but you give up a lot of practicality (4 doors, are you considering AWD, etc)

Good luck!
Old 01-07-14, 09:17 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by salvadorik
It all depends on what you want and your budget. I can speak of myself by sharing my experience. Basically I was in your shoes about 3 weeks ago. My opinion is 335i and S4 are in their own league. They are way better sports cars than IS. FI German powertrains simply blow any competition. 335i inline 6 was chosen ward's 10 best engine for several years. S4's 3.0 supercharged engine is still in ward's list. Yes, you can find some faults in those cars but the total package that germans provide is far more appealing to me. In my case there are two main reasons I did not go with European cars: 1 - nearly $60K price (main one) and 2 - worse reliability than Lexus. If I could afford to buy bimmer and did not intend to keep it after the warranty expires, 335i would be in my garage right now.
If i felt this way about my decision i would have gotten an accord. So every time you see a 335 or S4 you shrink in your seat and think damn i wish i could afford one of those bad boys?!! To say they are better sports cars is bull****. Are they faster off the line. Yes. Do they have better transmissions? Yes dual clutch is the future of all sports cars. Thats where it ends for me though. Are handling and steering feel not the most important part of a sports car? Look at the BRZ/FRS. That thing is one of the best handling sports cars I've driven and it gets rave reviews from enthusiasts and journalists alike and it only makes 200hp. The S4 is built on a wrong wheel drive platform and most of the engine sits out beyond the front axle. I hate Audis soft steering feel as well. The 335 handles better then the S4 but Bmws electronic steering feels pretty awful in my hands. Exterior looks is a toss up for me. I love them all in different ways. The only car that does not appeal to my eye in this class is the ATS. Interior IS takes the cake easily imo. I would never choose a car that i felt was subpar in its class and if i couldn't afford an S4 or a 335 i wouldn't be driving an IS. Id be driving an accord....No wait id be driving a BRZ!

Last edited by BOBFSPORT; 01-07-14 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-07-14, 09:29 PM
bucanero
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBFSPORT
If i felt this way about my decision i would have gotten an accord. So every time you see a 335 or S4 you shrink in your seat and think damn i wish i could afford one of those bad boys?!! To say they are better sports cars is bull****. Are they faster off the line. Yes. Do they have better transmissions? Yes dual clutch is the future of all sports cars. Thats where it ends for me though. Are handling and steering feel not the most important part of a sports car? Look at the BRZ/FRS. That thing handles like a dream and gets rave reviews from enthusiasts and journalists alike and it only makes 200hp. The S4 is built on a wrong wheel drive platform and most of the engine sits out beyond the front axle. I hate Audis soft steering feel as well. The 335 handles better then the S4 but Bmws electronic steering feels pretty awful in my hands. Exterior looks is a toss up for me. I love them all in different ways. The only car that does not appeal to my eye in this class is the ATS. Interior IS takes the cake easily imo. I would never choose a car that i felt was subpar in its class and if i couldn't afford an S4 or a 335 i wouldn't be driving an IS. Id be driving an accord.
YES!!! Somebody said it! Hahaha, great write up! I was a out to mention the FRS/BRZ.
Old 01-09-14, 07:50 PM
chris2k5
Pit Crew

335 and S4 are superior to the IS350. No doubt. The engine and transmission alone makes them superior.

No one I know would take an IS350 or Infiniti Q50 over an S4 or 335 if they can afford them.
Old 01-09-14, 09:42 PM
McBrain
Driver

Originally Posted by chris2k5
335 and S4 are superior to the IS350. No doubt. The engine and transmission alone makes them superior.

No one I know would take an IS350 or Infiniti Q50 over an S4 or 335 if they can afford them.
I was dead-set on getting an S4 and was ready to buy one (outright) and only stopped by Lexus by accident after my S4 testdrive. S4 was totally "meh" - is that really it? Bought an IS350 Fsport the next day. Your last sentence is a *huge* generalization. Not true!
Old 01-09-14, 10:48 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That may be why YOU chose your Q50 but that doesn't apply to everyone. Many here strongly considered buying a 335i or an S4. Many here have owned either an S4 or 335i. Some here have owned multiple BMWs (3 series and up). Some here have both a 335i and an IS 350. One guy here has a GTR and a 350 in his garage. Some here have both IS350 and GS350. It may be hard for you, Edmunds and Consumer Reports to understand but many of us and car enthusiast web sites (Road & Track, MotorTrend, C&D) find many things to love about the 3IS.

The S4 and 335i engines are superior no doubt but for the $14k more you pay they better be. Outside of that there is not much more I would call superior. The BMW may have a superior transmission but the bla suspension, steering and handling muffled that noise.
Old 01-09-14, 11:05 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

the 335i Is a superb car no doubt about that. The main determing factor so to why I got a 350fsport is that it stands out on the road. its different. my personal opinion of the new 3 series is that the design is so bland it doesn't make you go WOW. Upon first seeing a fsport just by the looks alone I was blown away. yes the engine isn't as fast or as sporty as a 335i but its a great overall car. it does everything right not a coupe things superbly and a couple things sub par. its the perfect balance of a sports and luxury car and ive had NUMEROUS 3 series and C class owners just stare down my car at light or on the highway. not to mention all the other people. the car is just different and not many have it. ive only seen about 6 on the road since it released in july. 3 series and c classes are a dime a dozen
Old 01-10-14, 06:05 AM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am sure plenty of members on this forum with a 350 could afford an S4 or 335. You are talking out of your ***.

Last edited by BOBFSPORT; 01-10-14 at 06:08 AM.
Old 01-10-14, 06:31 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

If I'm ever in a situation where getting to 60 mph in 4.5 seconds saves my *** but 5.5 seconds kills me, then I'll regret that I bought the IS350 instead of the 335. Until that day, I'll happily drive around in my IS, enjoying the superb handling, steering, and style.