IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 IS350 F Sport V.S. 2006-2012 IS350

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-14, 04:31 PM
Drkxman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS 2006 vs. IS 2014

If you have an IS350 with the right set up and driving skills, (2013 and under) you can pull 0-60 in under 5.0 all day long. Newer machines are heavier and the gearing is quite different.

Pedal Dance
Tires
Lighter Wheels
Throttle Response On (that's what the Power Button does)
F-Sport Intake (complete) or Joe-Z with K&N and F-sport Lower Box, I prefer the Joe-Z option
Optional Exhaust - Borla/Magna Flow or F-Sport (not the Cheap Ones)

Smokes the all comparable BMW /Infinity-Nissan/Acura-Honda/Mustang/Camaro/Audi/ChallengerMagna/Charger-V8 Hemi/SRT-8

I've done it many times over, you can do it too. I've been racing for over 20 years and I love smoking a V8 with a V6. You're not spending thousands and you have a nice setup and still have Lexus comfort. None of this applies to an IS250, don't even bother. It'll help but you won't be winning any races.
Old 10-22-14, 05:24 PM
Skillet83
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Drkxman
If you have an IS350 with the right set up and driving skills, (2013 and under) you can pull 0-60 in under 5.0 all day long. Newer machines are heavier and the gearing is quite different.

Pedal Dance
Tires
Lighter Wheels
Throttle Response On (that's what the Power Button does)
F-Sport Intake (complete) or Joe-Z with K&N and F-sport Lower Box, I prefer the Joe-Z option
Optional Exhaust - Borla/Magna Flow or F-Sport (not the Cheap Ones)

Smokes the all comparable BMW /Infinity-Nissan/Acura-Honda/Mustang/Camaro/Audi/ChallengerMagna/Charger-V8 Hemi/SRT-8

I've done it many times over, you can do it too. I've been racing for over 20 years and I love smoking a V8 with a V6. You're not spending thousands and you have a nice setup and still have Lexus comfort. None of this applies to an IS250, don't even bother. It'll help but you won't be winning any races.
Are you saying the the 2IS had lighter wheels from the factory than the 3IS?

If not... then your "all you need to go fast is go fast parts" argument is really ground-breaking. Who would have thought reducing unsprung rotational mass and adding power would make your car go faster?

Also, please find me a single credible review where the 2IS or the 3IS "smokes" a G37S or Q50S much less a SRT8 anything. Hell the Jeep SRT8 does the 60 haul in mid-4's.

Road and Track actually had the Caddy and Lexus tied for 3rd place trailing the BMW and Infiniti.
Old 10-24-14, 07:27 PM
Drkxman
Driver School Candidate

The list is what you'd need to get to the sub 5.0 times to 60 no one said anything about sub 4. So to answer you question, no they didn't have lighter wheels you need to get them as you'd need to get the intake, tires, exhaust etc.. And "comparable" means same year and type, G37 didn't exist when 2G was released. However, even with the bigger engine it can be beaten by a 350. If you would go the 0-60 times website you'd see that even stock the IS beats the cars you mentioned. If you can get a Jeep, with a 470HP engine to do sub 4 that would be a miracle, the best time i'ver ever seen is 4.6 which is good for an SUV. Sub 4 would require 550-600 HP and even then. I mean Corvette Z06 are at 3.6-4.0. Your telling us that a Jeep SRT8 an beat a Vette to 60?

I'm trying to share my personal experience not start a debate, certain factors contribute to these things, a stock IS350 can do 5.2 or 5.4 if you know how to drive it. The other stuff can reduce that time. I mean do you really think that car with a full tank of gas can is gonna move like one with 2 gallons in it? Experience is everything, driving is not just putting your foot to the floor and hoping to beat the guy next to you.
Old 10-25-14, 04:42 AM
Loe
Pole Position

You have to look at acceleration as a 3 dimensional factor. Time-to-distance shows which car gets to point A to point B sooner and ultimately is who wins a race. For example, car X accelerates to 60 in 4.5 seconds and car Y does the deed in 5.0 seconds. However, this doesn't necessarily mean car Y is behind car X by the time it reaches 60mph. You have to factor in gearing, traction, power curve, and other environmental elements. Lets say car Y was AWD and had a better 0-60ft, 0-100ft, and 0-330ft time (as in a regular NHRA drag strip timeslip), but requires two upshifts to reach 60. Car X is RWD, solid gearing that only requires one upshift, and overall a better high rpm powerband but low in torque. What does this tell you? By the time car Y reaches 60mph, this doesn't mean it's behind car X, rather, car X is traveling at a faster rate of speed and is playing catch up to car Y who enjoyed better traction and more than likely produced better 0-20mph, 0-30mph, 0-40mph, and 0-50mph times. Another example: you have one car (A) run 14.5@95mph, while another car (B) run 14.5@98mph in the 1/4 mile. By the time both reach the finished line, the time-to-distance is equivalent, even if one car is traveling at a faster rate (because it was playing "catch-up"). If you were to compare 0-95mph time in that scenario, the car (B) who was traveling at a faster rate would have posted a 0-95mph time of 13.9 seconds, while the other car (A) would have shown 14.5 seconds, in reality, car (A) was in front even though it posted a slower 0-95mph time.

On a side note, for those who do enjoy time-to-speed ratings (I don't, as it's a 2 dimensional approach to how a car is accelerating), the 3IS requires two upshifts (the second one occurs right at 58mph), while the 2IS requires one upshifts to reach 60. This will impact 0-60 times by .2-.4 seconds. Add to the fact that we have less grippy Turanzas while they have Potenzas so our launch isn't as good.

Last edited by Loe; 10-25-14 at 05:04 AM.
Old 10-25-14, 05:38 PM
Skillet83
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Drkxman
The list is what you'd need to get to the sub 5.0 times to 60 no one said anything about sub 4. So to answer you question, no they didn't have lighter wheels you need to get them as you'd need to get the intake, tires, exhaust etc.. And "comparable" means same year and type, G37 didn't exist when 2G was released. However, even with the bigger engine it can be beaten by a 350. If you would go the 0-60 times website you'd see that even stock the IS beats the cars you mentioned. If you can get a Jeep, with a 470HP engine to do sub 4 that would be a miracle, the best time i'ver ever seen is 4.6 which is good for an SUV. Sub 4 would require 550-600 HP and even then. I mean Corvette Z06 are at 3.6-4.0. Your telling us that a Jeep SRT8 an beat a Vette to 60?

I'm trying to share my personal experience not start a debate, certain factors contribute to these things, a stock IS350 can do 5.2 or 5.4 if you know how to drive it. The other stuff can reduce that time. I mean do you really think that car with a full tank of gas can is gonna move like one with 2 gallons in it? Experience is everything, driving is not just putting your foot to the floor and hoping to beat the guy next to you.
The OP was asking for an acceleration comparison between the 2IS and the 3IS, not how to make your car faster.

The G37 was released in 2009 while it's predecessor (G35) actually predates the 2IS, so yes... while it the G37 wasn't available at the launch date, both cars existed/competed against each other for their share of the market. And yes, I'm sure a G37 could be beaten by a 2IS/3IS as there's only a couple 10ths of difference (driver dependent), but a reputable source tested both under the same circumstances and the G37 came out on top in acceleration.

In response to the Jeep... I specifically said the SRT-8 would do mid-4's. Don't know where you're pulling sub 4's from.

My issue with your original post is mis-information...

"Smokes the all comparable BMW /Infinity-Nissan/Acura-Honda/Mustang/Camaro/Audi/ChallengerMagna/Charger-V8 Hemi/SRT-8"
Old 11-11-14, 09:45 PM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 2IS 350 is definitely faster than the 3IS. Ive owned a 2008 350 and now a 2015 350. You can feel the acceleration difference immediately switching between the two. The 3IS definitely handles wayyyy better than the 2 but in a straight line I would def put my money on my 2.
Old 07-30-15, 07:25 AM
silvaIS
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default track day

This is the fastest time I can do on a day with 90 degree weather, full tank.

This is the first time ever at the track for me so I cant say I have much experience.

I am on the left. This is not in sport or + mode.

F-sport exhaust on my car and stock intake.

What can I do to go faster?

I know next time less gas and a cooler day, other than that any other hints?
Old 08-03-15, 03:19 PM
Srd555
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nixx621
The 2IS 350 is definitely faster than the 3IS. Ive owned a 2008 350 and now a 2015 350. You can feel the acceleration difference immediately switching between the two. The 3IS definitely handles wayyyy better than the 2 but in a straight line I would def put my money on my 2.
Very True. I have a friend with a 2015 IS 350 and I have a stock 2006 IS 350. We have raced MANY times with the same out come. Eveytime we go from a standing start I get out ahead of him and by 90mph im a car and a half in front..... EVERYTIME.
After much experimenting we found that if we race from 60mph up, we stay side-by-side with him slightly starting to creep ahead slowly when my car shift into 5th (overdrive in the 2is) gear...
Seems to me that the 3IS 8-speed and lower final ratio is better in the mid to top speeds and the 2IS was geared more for 0-60 and 1/4 mile. Also his car doesnt shift as hard as mine so that adds to the feel that its not as quick

Keep in mind that he weights about 160lbs and I weight 250lbs, so I think there is a slight weight advantage to him even if the 3is is heavier.

The 3IS blows away my car in the handling department though, in my opinion, and the seats grip you better.....

Im in the market to replace my car and was a little disappointed to find my current car is faster than the new one.

I may still end up in a 3IS because at the end of the day I do like them, just wish lexus would have stepped up the power like its rivals did.
Old 08-04-15, 01:02 AM
Nigel-JDMParts
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by nixx621
That's what I feel…..but want some time to proof….
Old 08-04-15, 01:03 AM
Nigel-JDMParts
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by silvaIS

This is the fastest time I can do on a day with 90 degree weather, full tank.

This is the first time ever at the track for me so I cant say I have much experience.

I am on the left. This is not in sport or + mode.

F-sport exhaust on my car and stock intake.

What can I do to go faster?

I know next time less gas and a cooler day, other than that any other hints?
2Gen IS350 hit low 13 and mid 13 easy as far as I remember.
Any 2 Gen IS350 owner coming to 3rd Gen? Input?
Old 08-04-15, 01:05 AM
Nigel-JDMParts
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Srd555
Very True. I have a friend with a 2015 IS 350 and I have a stock 2006 IS 350. We have raced MANY times with the same out come. Eveytime we go from a standing start I get out ahead of him and by 90mph im a car and a half in front..... EVERYTIME.
After much experimenting we found that if we race from 60mph up, we stay side-by-side with him slightly starting to creep ahead slowly when my car shift into 5th (overdrive in the 2is) gear...
Seems to me that the 3IS 8-speed and lower final ratio is better in the mid to top speeds and the 2IS was geared more for 0-60 and 1/4 mile. Also his car doesnt shift as hard as mine so that adds to the feel that its not as quick

Keep in mind that he weights about 160lbs and I weight 250lbs, so I think there is a slight weight advantage to him even if the 3is is heavier.

The 3IS blows away my car in the handling department though, in my opinion, and the seats grip you better.....

Im in the market to replace my car and was a little disappointed to find my current car is faster than the new one.

I may still end up in a 3IS because at the end of the day I do like them, just wish lexus would have stepped up the power like its rivals did.
Try to get some video please….
0-60, 0-100 or rolling from 2nd gear to 5th gear….

of coz we do all these in Mexico or Track LOL
Old 08-04-15, 11:40 AM
Sexis350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a 3is owner, i must say, that is lame.. newer and has less performance speed wise.
Old 08-04-15, 12:13 PM
WillK
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know the gearing for the 3IS but I would imagine it has to do with the extra tranny gears. The 3IS probably needs another gear to hit 60. Just an uneducated guess...
Old 08-04-15, 12:22 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by WillK
I don't know the gearing for the 3IS but I would imagine it has to do with the extra tranny gears. The 3IS probably needs another gear to hit 60. Just an uneducated guess...
You're not off base. I believe this is why you can find tests showing the 3rd gen IS350 AWD models reaching 60mph quicker than the RWD models. The AWD models still retain the 6 speed, and reach 60 in second gear. The 8 speed models reach 60 in 3rd, meaning they have one more shift to get to 60.

As I recall, Motor Trend tested the IS350 AWD model at 5.3 seconds and the IS350 RWD model at 5.6. Note that Motor Trend believes this is a result of the better launch by AWD models, but I think the 2nd shift in the 8 speed has a bigger impact.

Last edited by JDR76; 08-04-15 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-04-15, 01:11 PM
DjRiDe
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Nigel-JDMParts
2Gen IS350 hit low 13 and mid 13 easy as far as I remember.
Any 2 Gen IS350 owner coming to 3rd Gen? Input?
Sup Nigel, I can definitely say my 2011 IS350 was faster than my 2014 IS350. The 2014 just doesn't pull off the line as fast as my older one. I kind of miss my 2is for that reason - but i do like the perks of everything else on the 2014+

Quick Reply: 2014 IS350 F Sport V.S. 2006-2012 IS350