IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Did you buy for performance or appearance? Choose ONE most important feature:
Purely because of the external appearance of the 3IS
27.27%
I was looking for a fast performance sedan
15.58%
Cool new tech and the interior of the 3IS
15.58%
Reliability and the reputation of the Lexus brand
31.17%
Something else
10.39%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Did you buy for performance or appearance?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-14, 08:43 AM
WWM
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was drawn to the new IS because of the F-Sport interior. Toyota reliability and re-sale vale justified the purchase. During the test drive, the seats and general fit impressed me as well. I really like the snug, cockpit like seating position even though I'm a fairly big guy. Finally, the steering and general handling was impressive; It was just as tight and responsive as my C63. If the IS had an engine as good as the BMW 3.0 turbo I6, I'd probably keep it forever. Alas, the allure of more torque and a two door body conspires to draw me away.
Old 01-30-14, 09:40 AM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bought it for looks. For perf, I would have bought the s5.
Old 01-30-14, 11:36 AM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

When I drove the new S4, I felt the IS was actually a bit quicker and nimbler. You get a bit more low end torque with the audi as it starts to pull better at low rpm, but at higher rpm's the IS just felt more instant and not bogged down by the awd drivetrain. The audi felt underpowered to me. I think, for performance, an RS5 or an ISF would be more of a step up than just an s5. The only thing the audi has on the IS are the shift times, and even those were a bit boring because they are so seamless.
Old 01-30-14, 04:00 PM
Vairox
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had it down to 3, the 335i x-drive 6M, ATS, or IS350, BMW was out due to maintenence costs and reliability otherwise it's the hands down winner, GM out for reliability, that left the Lexus. Then it was F-sport or non F-sport? dealer was frank with me and stated F-sport is a $3000 lipstick job, there's no performance increase and you lose foglights, plus that grill is ugly so I got the base.
Old 01-31-14, 07:05 AM
JGard18
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Vairox
I had it down to 3, the 335i x-drive 6M, ATS, or IS350, BMW was out due to maintenence costs and reliability otherwise it's the hands down winner, GM out for reliability, that left the Lexus. Then it was F-sport or non F-sport? dealer was frank with me and stated F-sport is a $3000 lipstick job, there's no performance increase and you lose foglights, plus that grill is ugly so I got the base.
With F Sport you get more than the grill. You get a better suspension, adjustable steering ratio, and more comfortable seats, at the very least.

Yes, engine/transmission performance isn't different, but there are actual differentiators than what the salesman told you.
Old 01-31-14, 09:36 AM
phungy
Driver

Originally Posted by Slust
For me it was the best all around car for the price.
I shortened the quote but well said . Exactly how I felt.
Old 01-31-14, 10:18 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

If I'm being honest with myself, I'm looking into purchasing the IS350 F-Sport for the following reasons:

1) Being in the luxury 4 Door Sports Sedan market
2) Reliability
3) Value (this might encompass my other criteria, but $$ spent for what kind of car you get + taking into account resale value)
4) Looks
5) Overall Build Quality (including Interior)
6) Technology/Gadgets Included or Available
7) Noise when driving (love quiet cabins and no rattles)
8) Handling/feel while driving
9) Performance/Exhaust note/MPG (there are a ton of other vehicles I would consider if I ranked performance, exhaust note, or mpg higher on my list)

Oh, one could probably include the car being a "chick magnet" but that might vary depending at the type of girl you want to impress and what stage you are at in life

~ Im2bz2p345

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 01-31-14 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-31-14, 12:47 PM
Vairox
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JGard18
With F Sport you get more than the grill. You get a better suspension, adjustable steering ratio, and more comfortable seats, at the very least.

Yes, engine/transmission performance isn't different, but there are actual differentiators than what the salesman told you.
Some say the seats are less comfortable, is the suspension even noticeably different? just wasn't worth $3k+ to me.
Old 01-31-14, 01:10 PM
morton87
Rookie

For me i chose the IS 350 F-Sport for what it gave in each space, though i would love to have seen them make a manual transmission. Originally (about 2 years ago) i was set on buying an STi as i had Subaru's in the past. But i wanted something with similar performance but with better creature comforts then what Subaru offers I looked around and test drove the Germans and while the Audi's sparked some interest it wasn't until i saw the new IS that found what i was looking for in making the jump from rally style to sport luxury.
Old 01-31-14, 01:25 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was a combo for me. Actually, this is my wifes car. She drives it 95% of the time. The other 5% is when I take it to put gas in it, or wash it. She is a gadget freak. We owened at one time an ES300, GX470, SC430, IS350-C, and my current GS450h. All fabulous vehicles. We really loved the SC. But it was dated. But that was one smooth car.

The IS is the perfect combination of style, technology, performance, and realibility. That is why I bought in!
Old 02-01-14, 04:27 AM
Slust
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Vairox
Some say the seats are less comfortable, is the suspension even noticeably different? just wasn't worth $3k+ to me.
If it's not worth it to you than you made the right call. Though JGard18 is right, your salesman calling it purely a lipstick upgrade is either an uninformed opinion or simply a ploy to make you think he is being honest.

I personally think you get a lot for your $3k...
  • Tire and Rim upgrade => 17" to 18"
  • Adaptive Variable Suspension => Sport + (most definitely feel the difference)
  • F-Sport Steering Wheel => Thicker + Soft Mesh
  • LED headlamps => some prefer the HID, I prefer the LED ...really lights up reflective surfaces
  • LFA-like Tach => ok this is pure lipstick but I dig it
  • F-Sport Seats => I LOVE these seats, and my co-worker noticed the difference from the loaner I had prior to mine coming in (and I didn't ask him)
  • Better Brake Pads => tho more dust
  • Interior Trim => Aluminum pedals, black head liner and carbon fiber like trim (I feel it really sets it apart )
  • Red Interior => Ok purely cosmetic but I LOVE the red&black interior with the black headliner

Most of those are purely for appearance but I fell in love with the seats. I love the feel of the steering wheel too and the suspension tweak really sets it apart from its German competition (335i and S4) that I test drove. Both the 335i and S4 had numb and boring handling so Sport and Sport+ mode made the Lexus go from the worst in class handling to one of the best. It may not be a package that appeals to everyone, which is why it is an option, but calling it "purely" a cosmetic package is not accurate at all.

We all choose to spend our money on different things. No need to trash the other option you didn't pick.
Old 02-01-14, 01:38 PM
calebc
Driver School Candidate

We got our for all of the above (nothing more important than something else, they all mattered) besides performance. It's primarily my wife driving and most of her driving is in stop and go traffic. The 250 made the most sense for her. The styling (interior and exterior), the reliability, etc were all factors in what car we ended up getting her. BMW felt like the same old as it's always been for years (interior especially), Audi...I like my cars to be reliable. My wife drove the IS and fell in love.

We were also debating on a small SUV, that's actually why we went to the Lexus dealership in the first place. My wife prefers a little larger vehicle that gets her up off the ground a bit. We had looked at the Range Rover Evoque and were heading to look at the Lexus RX when the IS caught her eye. Test drove the other makes after the IS but nothing felt as complete and refined overall as the IS.
Old 02-01-14, 02:06 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Slust
If it's not worth it to you than you made the right call. Though JGard18 is right, your salesman calling it purely a lipstick upgrade is either an uninformed opinion or simply a ploy to make you think he is being honest.

I personally think you get a lot for your $3k...
  • Tire and Rim upgrade => 17" to 18"
  • Adaptive Variable Suspension => Sport + (most definitely feel the difference)
  • F-Sport Steering Wheel => Thicker + Soft Mesh
  • LED headlamps => some prefer the HID, I prefer the LED ...really lights up reflective surfaces
  • LFA-like Tach => ok this is pure lipstick but I dig it
  • F-Sport Seats => I LOVE these seats, and my co-worker noticed the difference from the loaner I had prior to mine coming in (and I didn't ask him)
  • Better Brake Pads => tho more dust
  • Interior Trim => Aluminum pedals, black head liner and carbon fiber like trim (I feel it really sets it apart )
  • Red Interior => Ok purely cosmetic but I LOVE the red&black interior with the black headliner

Most of those are purely for appearance but I fell in love with the seats. I love the feel of the steering wheel too and the suspension tweak really sets it apart from its German competition (335i and S4) that I test drove. Both the 335i and S4 had numb and boring handling so Sport and Sport+ mode made the Lexus go from the worst in class handling to one of the best. It may not be a package that appeals to everyone, which is why it is an option, but calling it "purely" a cosmetic package is not accurate at all.

We all choose to spend our money on different things. No need to trash the other option you didn't pick.
To me, the primary value of the F Sport package is substantive rather than cosmetic. The AVS in Sport + really changes the driving dynamics. Coming from BMW, the driving experience in this mode rivals my "old school" 3 series and, I agree, is much better than the current 335i. The seats are the most comfortable car seats I have experienced personally in 45 years of driving. My back can usually only take about three hours of driving before I have to take a break. I recently completed a five hour non stop trip in my Lexus and no back fatigue whatsoever. Must confess that I do like my steering wheel, carbon fiber trim, and that sporty yet subdued red interior too!

Last edited by CtSFox; 02-01-14 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-02-14, 10:28 AM
js1011
Rookie

I primarily bought the car for the appearance. I also saw some videos on Lexus VS BMW VS Cadillac, but for me - it always comes down to appearance -- cars, chicks... just the way it is =p.

If the 335i looked more aggressive or Audi S4 looked less plumpy, then I would most likely have been on a different forum =p
Old 02-02-14, 10:30 AM
js1011
Rookie

Originally Posted by IS350S2K
Bought it for looks. For perf, I would have bought the s5.
yes sir!

Quick Reply: Poll: Did you buy for performance or appearance?