IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

No love for Silver?

Old 12-28-13, 10:46 AM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaF
I'm not sure if atomic silver counts, but 3IS looks amazing in both silver lining and atomic silver. Actually I might have picked silver lining over atomic silver if it were available with F sport here in Canada.
Atomic Silver always counts!
Old 12-28-13, 10:55 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

id rather have atomic silver instead of the other silver but they dont have it for F Sport
Old 12-28-13, 08:30 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for all the replies guys, and seeing those great pics of the IS F Sport in Silver has helped make up my mind. I'm going for a test drive this week. The only thing that may make me wait is the upcoming RC-F Coupe.
Old 12-28-13, 08:34 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by McBrain
To the OP: you obviously like silver cars, so get one. Seriously, they look amazing in this color combo. You are lucky that they have a couple available. I think many folks are getting the white because Lexus has marketed that color in all theirs ads and brochures and is pushing it heavily. The white probably is the cheapest to produce also.

Mine was the last one of that color on the lot and they were desperately trying to get me to buy a black or white one. It looks very classy and you get the many practical benefits that have already been discussed. Trust your own judgement.
I'm actually not partial to silver cars. My previous one was a Daytona Gray Audi S5. I like the darker grays and actually ordered my GS in Nebula Gray but the salesperson screwed up. Silver was my second choice, so I took delivery of it and have been very happy with it. I'm sure I can be happy with it again.
Old 12-28-13, 08:39 PM
enoren
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was tempted by silver, but I didn't like the mis-match of the F-Sport wheels. I like silver with the non-F-sport wheels or the F-sport wheels with Nebula Gray. When I saw the silver F-sport, the wheels didn't look right to me, so I went with Obsidian.
Old 12-28-13, 09:31 PM
bucanero
Pole Position

I have a Silver with Light Gray interior. I love it. Looks clean and fresh. Red interior would drive me mad. White or black exterior would kill me as well. The ONLY other color option I considered was Nebula Gray but still with Light Gray interior.
Old 12-28-13, 10:01 PM
mnm27mnm
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got a silver is350 f sport with black interior. I wanted white but no good luck. Im happy with silver though
Old 12-28-13, 11:43 PM
iPinky
Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
id rather have atomic silver instead of the other silver but they dont have it for F Sport
Agreed. Silver in general doesn't do it for me, but atomic silver is hot.
Old 12-29-13, 01:43 AM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the Silver, especially with Rioja. I have to admit that until this thread came up I wondered the EXACT same thing the OP did. I saw a saw Silver/Rioja sitting on the Lexus lot almost all December while the other colors were selling ...well the Silver and Black on Black but the Black I understand because most people hate Black here in the desert. It doesn't seem to get that hot here but dust is definitely an issue.

I'm glad this topic came up. I was beginning to think Silver was not being represented on this forum but looks like quite a few have it.

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Apologies for this long post, but hopefully makes for a good read.
1. Marketing focused on Ultra White/Rioja Red to make the interior and new full-spindle grill pop and be the focus for Lexus' new design direction. In addition, this color combo being exclusive to the F-Sport, people organically wanted this. Isn't U White/Rioja Red the most popular F-Sport on the road at this writing? Marketing at its best worked here.
I don't watch much TV (mostly just football) but it seems like whenever I do see a car commercial it is almost always white or black regardless who made the car.

Watching the cars that come in through the dealer near where I am stationed at it seems like the most common exterior color with the Rioja interior is White and then Silver. I've only seen one Obsidian/Rioja and it was a 250. I have not seen any Matador Reds with Rioja ...and probably for good reason. Obviously we don't don't get Atomic Silver or Ultra Sonic Blue. I've only seen 1 Nebula Gray/Rioja which I was going to order at first but it's not as dark as my Smoky Granite Mica was so that bummed me out tbh. So I'm not sure it is marketing so much as it's just Lexus producing more Whites than any other colors. White is a pretty common color, which is why I didn't even want to consider it at first. Only reason I am is because the F-Sport white is completely different.

Originally Posted by McBrain
I don't think so. I'm just saying that there is probably some profit margin uppage on the white since white is "easier" to produce, but probably not enough to justify exposing that to the MSRP. From a marketing point of view, it would also make it look like:

- white is a "cheap" color
- Anything other than white and you're being charged a premium

If they can make more money on white cars, its best to just market them better.

At Lexus of Austin *all* the cars on the showroom floor were white, IS, LS, RX, GX, LX etc.

It only makes sense to up-charge on colors when there is a measurable enough difference in the production cost *and* the consumer will pay for it.
You're right, every car in the showroom floor is white here too. Probably like that nationwide for most dealers.

Though I don't think the F-Sport White is cheaper to produce since it is 100% unique to the 3IS F-Sport lineup. It is so white it makes their other white look dull. It's almost like an LED white. On top of the uniqueness they also infuse glass flakes to give it a metallic/pearlescent look. So I don't think there is much if any cost savings with this white. That's probably why all the colors cost the same amount.

Originally Posted by cpham4
I'm not a fan of white because I associate white as a female car color.
Though I am considering white I have to completely agree with you ...even if that comment comes off kinda wrong. I think the same way. Never liked white. My first two cars were both white and I hated them both so maybe that is why I am biased.

Originally Posted by iPinky
Agreed. Silver in general doesn't do it for me, but atomic silver is hot.
Yup and I think it was you who said Atomic Silver that looked like liquid metal. If so, that is such an accurate description. It really reminded me of T2 when someone posted a pic of their Atomic Silver in a sunset setting.

If I could pick any color in the U.S. for F-Sport I would probably pick Atomic Silver. Next would be Black, but I'm not spending any cash to have a Obsidian/Rioja 350 shipped here.
Old 12-29-13, 06:54 AM
iPinky
Driver

Originally Posted by Slust
Though I am considering white I have to completely agree with you ...even if that comment comes off kinda wrong. I think the same way. Never liked white. My first two cars were both white and I hated them both so maybe that is why I am biased.

Yup and I think it was you who said Atomic Silver that looked like liquid metal. If so, that is such an accurate description. It really reminded me of T2 when someone posted a pic of their Atomic Silver in a sunset setting.

If I could pick any color in the U.S. for F-Sport I would probably pick Atomic Silver. Next would be Black, but I'm not spending any cash to have a Obsidian/Rioja 350 shipped here.
Yup, I did say that. And, yes! T2 was what I thought of as well when I saw a fellow member's atomic silver F-Sport. I drool just thinking about it.

White being seen as feminine is true. My previous IS was white. Lol.
Old 12-29-13, 11:51 AM
GoUConn
Driver School Candidate

I used to consider silver the color of boring people who want to blend in. Then I came to realize silver really isn't so boring and it can really change its character depending on the lighting. When the sun sets it has a brownish hue in the artificial night lights.

Old 12-29-13, 12:09 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cpham4

I'm not a fan of white because I associate white as a female car color.
Great pic of your silver. Agreed white is the only color i do not like at all on the IS. It seems to be a popular choice though so i guess i am in the minority.
Old 12-30-13, 08:02 AM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

The silver looks very good too, It was def an option for me when I was getting my 3IS.
Old 12-30-13, 08:36 AM
jaznraz
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here are a couple cell phone pics of mine.

In front of the dealership - day one

Shadows from tall grass.
Old 12-30-13, 07:23 PM
gtb555
Driver School Candidate

^^^^^ those are some weird shadows and look too much like actual blemishes on the car!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No love for Silver?