Where did you get the diffuser from?
Old 12-25-13, 03:31 PM
bayarea3is
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stickyiqqy
Hey Bayarea3is....love your ride.

Where did you get the diffuser from?
thank you sir, its a full lexon exclusive japan lip kit.
Old 12-25-13, 03:32 PM
enoren
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SonyHome
Is this prior to your wheel swap?
Sony, you're mixing me up with Bass Mech. I'm still stock; Bass swapped his wheels.
Old 12-25-13, 03:48 PM
bruteshot2
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Two of my favorite pictures of my ride

Obsidian 3IS picture thread!-0141.jpg

Obsidian 3IS picture thread!-0170.jpg
Old 12-25-13, 04:13 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by eyeball
Thank you. I will. One more question...how frequently should I get my car professionally detailed? Semiannually? Quarterly?
Hi

I had him apple the 22PLE coating in August. Before he did that he prepped the paint. I am on a schedule to have it polished every 4 months. In between my detailer polishing it, I do wax it myself with One Grand Blitz Carnuba Wax. I trust my detailer because he really knows his stuff. He does bugatti's, ferrari's, etc and has detailed cars for Meguiar's and Pebble beach golf tournament. He helped develop the rinse less car wash and wax that Meguiar's now sells. I am having him come out every 4 months as he suggested.
Old 12-25-13, 04:20 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bayarea3is
favorite color for the 3is next to the nebula gray's

Best looking 3IS I've seen in any color! Something about those wheels, I really like it.
Old 12-25-13, 04:24 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by enoren
Sony, you're mixing me up with Bass Mech. I'm still stock; Bass swapped his wheels.
LOL, Sorry Enoren. I was going by the similar captivating background scenery that you and Bass Mech had!
Old 12-25-13, 04:48 PM
bayarea3is
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Best looking 3IS I've seen in any color! Something about those wheels, I really like it.
appreciate it! the wheel design/finish is definately not for everyone, but imo it fits the car well... i have a different vision for this car and its sorta coming along lol
Old 12-25-13, 07:37 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL, Sorry Enoren. I was going by the similar captivating background scenery that you and Bass Mech had!
Sony, how dare you compare my IS 350 with an IS 250 AWD! lol

sorry Enoren! no disrespect intended lol
Old 12-27-13, 07:22 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by dstopsie
Hi

I had him apple the 22PLE coating in August. Before he did that he prepped the paint. I am on a schedule to have it polished every 4 months. In between my detailer polishing it, I do wax it myself with One Grand Blitz Carnuba Wax. I trust my detailer because he really knows his stuff. He does bugatti's, ferrari's, etc and has detailed cars for Meguiar's and Pebble beach golf tournament. He helped develop the rinse less car wash and wax that Meguiar's now sells. I am having him come out every 4 months as he suggested.
FYI - polishing a car every 4 months is overkill and may actually lead to premature paint failure. You'd be surprised at how thin your factory clear coat is! Polishes contain very fine abrasives that actually remove a fine layer of paint to produce a smooth, shiny surface. If done too frequently, you will eventually run out of clear coat to work with.

Also, polishing will remove your 22ple coating... this is why it is crucial to follow proper washing and drying technique to reduce surface defects so you only need to have your vehicle lightly polished every couple of years. At this time, a new coating should be reapplied after proper surface prep.

I imagine your detailer is doing coating maintenance services... this should not include polishing. 22ple Vx1 Pro needs to be decontaminated, but since the coating is only a couple of microns thick, any amount of polishing could compromise the layer of protection. It is simply not a risk that I would be willing to take on my own car let alone a customer car. I would double check with your detailer's processes for these quarterly details you are describing...... or maybe if your vehicle truly needs to be polished every 3-4 months, you need to consider changing your washing & drying techniques because you should not be introducing swirls and scratches that quickly.

Let me know if you've got any questions

-Zach

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 12-27-13 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-27-13, 09:17 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
FYI - polishing a car every 4 months is overkill and may actually lead to premature paint failure. You'd be surprised at how thin your factory clear coat is! Polishes contain very fine abrasives that actually remove a fine layer of paint to produce a smooth, shiny surface. If done too frequently, you will eventually run out of clear coat to work with.

Also, polishing will remove your 22ple coating... this is why it is crucial to follow proper washing and drying technique to reduce surface defects so you only need to have your vehicle lightly polished every couple of years. At this time, a new coating should be reapplied after proper surface prep.

I imagine your detailer is doing coating maintenance services... this should not include polishing. 22ple Vx1 Pro needs to be decontaminated, but since the coating is only a couple of microns thick, any amount of polishing could compromise the layer of protection. It is simply not a risk that I would be willing to take on my own car let alone a customer car. I would double check with your detailer's processes for these quarterly details you are describing...... or maybe if your vehicle truly needs to be polished every 3-4 months, you need to consider changing your washing & drying techniques because you should not be introducing swirls and scratches that quickly.

Let me know if you've got any questions

-Zach

sorry i should clarify, he is not polishing it with a buffer, just giving it a good coat of hand wax, thats all. he's not using any clay or abrasives at all. As i said before I am do not have any swirls or scratches at all. He went over the car very carefully and put the light on it and there are no swirls or scratches. Again he is not using a buffer or machine to polish it, just elbow grease to give it a good coat of wax by hand.
Old 12-27-13, 09:46 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
Sony, how dare you compare my IS 350 with an IS 250 AWD! lol

sorry Enoren! no disrespect intended lol
Haha, they are equally fast and good looking when they are sitting still.

Still waiting for my obsidian f sport. It's been 3 weeks since it arrived at Portland port and still no where near my dealer. I'm now getting the impression that I may not even be able to pick it up by 1/2 which is end of DTR sale thus not qualifying for $750 LFS rebate! Asked if I could complete the purchase paperwork on 1/2 without the car to lock in rebate and answer was no.

This is my first Lexus and so far not very impressed with Lexus the company! I really hope the car will not a disappointment for the long haul!
Old 12-28-13, 06:50 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by dstopsie
sorry i should clarify, he is not polishing it with a buffer, just giving it a good coat of hand wax, thats all. he's not using any clay or abrasives at all. As i said before I am do not have any swirls or scratches at all. He went over the car very carefully and put the light on it and there are no swirls or scratches. Again he is not using a buffer or machine to polish it, just elbow grease to give it a good coat of wax by hand.
So he isn't 'polishing' he is waxing... Got it.

FWIW - clay will not damage the coating if used properly.
Old 12-29-13, 07:48 AM
iPinky
Driver

Adding mine to the list. Shot from last night after a bit of a joyride. Gosh, I love driving this beast! He's dirty, but you can't tell.
Though, that brake dust is an eyesore. Eeks.

Obsidian 3IS picture thread!-image-2714059243.jpg

Last edited by iPinky; 12-29-13 at 07:57 AM.
Old 12-29-13, 08:05 AM
eyeball
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by iPinky
Adding mine to the list. Shot from last night after a bit of a joyride. Gosh, I love driving this beast! He's dirty, but you can't tell. Though, that brake dust is an eyesore. Eeks.
^^^^^^^^ Nice reflections! What's the sticker on the window if you don't mind me asking

Quick Reply: Obsidian 3IS picture thread!