IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Max volume on ML?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-13, 12:44 PM
drive90
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by abcsoup
Whoa, my ML becomes extremely loud to me over around 35-40. In order to talk to other passengers, I'd have to yell. It's not as loud if the windows are down, of course.

Do you have the Mark Levinson or the regular system? I'm not sure how different the loudness is for both, but I'd guess that the standard system doesn't have as much headroom.
I have ML. I can easily have a conversation without speaking loudly at 40.
Old 12-30-13, 03:54 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iPinky
14-17 at max? Wow. You're doing well with trying to be better. Not sure I could do that at this point, but I probably should train my ears to a lower volume.
Thanks though it all goes to hell when I play my music in the house and can hear the words clearly even on the other side of it.

Originally Posted by drive90
I have ML. I can easily have a conversation without speaking loudly at 40.
Seriously??? I am currently in a loaner so I'm using the standard stereo and my passengers definitely start talking louder by 20. So I can't imagine how loud they would have to talk/yell by 40. The ML system is 835W so it should be quite a bit louder than stock. Did you move "equalizer" settings below the halfway point? There is a noticeable difference in volume on those equalizer settings.

Either way, if you're listening to any system at max... WOW!
Old 12-30-13, 04:00 PM
drive90
Rookie

I'm glad to have come across this thread because I've been considering starting one about this very topic anyways. I'm very disappointed in the ML, and feel the Harmon Kardon system in my 2006 BMW 330i was FAR superior.

These responses make me want to go to the dealer and complain, but they'd just tell me everything is fine, I'm sure...
Old 12-30-13, 04:08 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Slust
Thanks though it all goes to hell when I play my music in the house and can hear the words clearly even on the other side of it.

Seriously??? I am currently in a loaner so I'm using the standard stereo and my passengers definitely start talking louder by 20. So I can't imagine how loud they would have to talk/yell by 40. The ML system is 835W so it should be quite a bit louder than stock. Did you move "equalizer" settings below the halfway point? There is a noticeable difference in volume on those equalizer settings.

Either way, if you're listening to any system at max... WOW!
I have ML and I have to turn it below 10 so people can talk in a normal voice.
Old 12-30-13, 04:10 PM
Slust
Pole Position

The HK in the current BMW was very lackluster. The lexus I test drove had the ML and it was far better. You're the first to complain about the ML. Though you are also the first to say they listen at max volume. If you are listening at max volume than either your system needs equalizer adjusting, it's not functioning properly or your hearing is messed up. Since you stated you can have a good conversation at 40 I am thinking it was one of the first two. If you have to crank any system to max volume that should be the first indicactor something is up since even if I didn't worry about blowing my eardrums out I would be worried about blowing the speakers out.

Originally Posted by CtSFox
I have ML and I have to turn it below 10 so people can talk in a normal voice.
That seems more realistic to me.
Old 12-30-13, 04:26 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The HK in the current BMW was very lackluster. The lexus I test drove had the ML and it was far better. You're the first to complain about the ML. Though you are also the first to say they listen at max volume. If you are listening at max volume than either your system needs equalizer adjusting, it's not functioning properly or your hearing is messed up. Since you stated you can have a good conversation at 40 I am thinking it was one of the first two. If you have to crank any system to max volume that should be the first indicactor something is up since even if I didn't worry about blowing my eardrums out I would be worried about blowing the speakers out.

Yes, something is off here. I had stock HK in my 2002 BMW 3 series. My wife has the standard concert audio on her Audi A5. My subjective (of course) relative sound quality ratings (1-10) are as follows: HK 2.5, Audi Concert 6, ML 9.5.
Old 12-30-13, 05:29 PM
drive90
Rookie

My equalizer settings are Bass +1 and Treble +3 typically.

My hearing? lol. I'm 29 and a professional pilot; as such my hearing is fine. In fact most people call me when they have questions about audio systems because I'm particular about them...

Lastly, I'd imagine the speakers are nowhere near blowing out.
Old 12-30-13, 05:45 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Like I said, I'm guessing its your system and not your hearing.

Play around with your equalizer settings more. Increase all 3 keeping in mind it has a equalizer setting for each input source ...at least I've had to change it for each input source. Still even if that works something still seems off. The ML I heard was quite adept and no where near what I'd call weak.